“Very nice hotel in great spot” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami

Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami
Ranked #21 of 120 Hotels in Miami
Manchester UK
“Very nice hotel in great spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Initially indecisive about where to stay in Miami, we opted for the Coconut Grove area and the Sonesta Hotel rather than South Beach. I think I got it right as my days for partying in South Beach are now distant memories.

The Sonesta was very good and we were met with smiling faces after the 20 minute $35 cab ride from the airport. Check in was simple and the only noticeable thing being that the suitcases weren’t taken to the room. Not much of a problem though.

The 8th floor is where the action is… pool, terrace, bar and restaurant. There is a fitness suite on the very top floor. 22nd I think.

Rooms were clean, tidy and adequate. Large bathroom with shower, walk in wardrobe, safe, coffee maker and well stocked fridge. Flat screen TV. We had a 20th floor executive Bay View room, with balcony, which looked south, taking advantage of the ‘stay 3 nights 30% off’ promotion. The hotel Wi-Fi was temperamental and mostly due to the initial ‘login page’ hiding itself. We didn’t dine in the restaurant but we did have a night cap on the terrace and the quality and quantity of food looked very good. Staff were extremely courteous, helpful and friendly.

2 minutes walk from the hotel is Coco Walk with the shops, bars and nearby streets have sidewalk cafes/restaurants. If you want to visit Dadeland Shopping Mall then the 249 Coconut Grove Loop bus leaves the top of the street every 25 minutes. Its a 25c fare and runs from Douglas Road Metro to Coconut Grove Metro. A $2 Metro ticket will get you to Dadeland North Metro station and the shopping mall is across the street. We caught the 249 & Metro back to the airport… $2.25 and a 30 minute ride.

The Sonesta is very nice, quiet, charming hotel in an interesting part of Miami.

Would I return… Yes I would if the offer was still on.
Would I recommend to friends and family… yes I would

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
MargaretRose_CG, Manager at Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Ajhaeh,
Thank you for recent stay at our hotel. I am pleased that you had such a positive experience. Please check our website when you are booking your next stay as all of the current promotions and packages are posted. We hope to see you again soon.
Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Just returned from a week at The Sonesta where we had out company's sales training. Have one negative comment and that is the elevators are slow. That's how perfect the hotel is. The food was delicious for a hotel, every meal was freshly prepared. The service was above outstanding - Frank Ruiz was so helpful and amazing. He treated each one of us with respect and couldn't do enough for us. A+ service. The hotel is situated right on the bay - cant ask for a better location. We will be back again to work with the hotel on our training accommodations, real soon. Thank you to Ebru & Alice from the sales team for making our training a great success.

• Stayed July 2013
EllaM33
We appreciate your comments about your experience at our hotel with your training session. We are pleased that our Catering and Food and Beverage team made your event such a success. We look forward to your groups return.
Best Regards,
Coral Gables, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

The Sonesta is and has alwas been a favorite place to stay. The destination, the staff, the accommodations... everything is just A++ . Everybody is there to help and make it the most enjoyable experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
NoemiG,
Thank you for sharing your feelings about our property. Come back soon for another visit.
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I'm a native miamian though I have been living in Tampa for the past 20 years. Have stayed in numerous hotels in the city as I have family in the area that I visit on occasion. Hotel is centrally located in the grove. Walking distance to multiple nice restaurants in the area. Hotel is clean and safe with fantastic views of the bay. Room was clean with excellent maid service and has a cozy feeling to it as if you were staying in your own apt. or condo. Prices were reasonable, will stay here again.

Room Tip: pick a room with a view of the bay.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Jorge,
Thank you for posting your comments about your return to Miami. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay.
Richmond, Va.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Flew down for a college visit at University of Miami and stayed at the Sonesta. It was great. We were there in April 2013, the hotel didn't seem to be busy. Our room was on the 20th floor with a small balcony that faced north. We had a 180-degree view, Biscayne Bay off to the right, the Miami metropolis stretching out to the north and west. See photos. Our room was fine and had a small kitchenette, which we didn't use. But we enjoyed sitting on the balcony and taking in the views. The first night we went to the bar and sat outside soaking up the urban nighttime vibe, friendly waitress, customers enjoying the spring night. The lounge is next to the pool.
The best thing about the trip was that (at the last minute) the Sonesta's concierge was able to get tickets for us to the Miami Heat's first play-off game against Milwaukee. Sold-out game, but he knew a broker. It was FANTASTIC! We took a taxi to the arena, driving there would have been a nightmare. Our first NBA game, free T-shirts at every seat, "Witness Miami" noise-makers, all the stars played. I loved it, my son was in heaven.
By mistake, I left a "Do Not Disturb" sign hanging on the door to our room on the day after we arrived. Even though the cleaning staff must have finished their work hours earlier, they quickly cleaned our room in the late afternoon. That was great service.
We didn't eat at the hotel. One morning we had breakfast at a tasty, and busy, restaurant a couple of blocks away, the Green Street Cafe. The next day we stopped at a Starbucks very close by. FYI, an Episcopal church is across the street from the hotel.
The shopping nearby is great, lots of small shops and boutiques all around, easy to walk to. Coconut Grove is a fun area.
For us, this quick 3-day getaway was one of the best short trips we've taken. I loved the Sonesta, a big-city hotel that took good care of us in a pleasant, professional, understated way. Is it any wonder that my son is going to "The U" this fall?

Room Tip: A room facing north is nice, and higher the better for good views.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Rrsrichmond,
Thank you for selecting our hotel for your first visit to Miami. As mentioned we are centrally located to not only the University of Miami but also the American Airlines Arena, Marlins Park and the Arscht Center. I am pleased that we provided you with great service and we hope that when you come to visit your son at school you will think of us as your home away from home. We hope you are back soon.
Durham, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for two nights for a meeting. There were some hiccups upon check in – due to storms I got in very late, and When I arrived the desk clerk regarded me like one might regard an extraterrestrial. I mentioned I had a reservation and he said he wasn't expecting anyone else for the evening. A little more discussion and he realized that my Hotwire reservation had not been entered into the system. This sort of thing irritates me. If someone walks into your hotel and tells you they have a reservation, it might be best to exhaust all obvious possibilities before telling them you don't have any idea who they are. It shouldn't be up to the guest to take the lead in determining what went wrong. The clerk was perfectly nice, and perhaps the late hour affected my mood, but it was still annoying.

After check-in, I was sent to a room with broken air conditioning. Went back downstairs, got switched to a new room with no hassle at all. I was not crazy about the new room. It had a full-size kitchen that took up 1/2 the room. This feature might be good for some, but I had absolutely no use for it and it made me feel like I was in a poorly-planned studio apartment. The first room (with the broken AC) was more of a conventional hotel room. Finally, while the kitchenette room was well maintained it was quite dated.

The hotel itself is in a fantastic location in Coconut Grove with lots of restaurants and other attractions within walking distance. There are great views from the deck on the eighth floor. I found the staff to be generally very nice and helpful. The valet is very quick, and while valet parking is expensive it's probably below market rate for Miami. If you really want to save a couple bucks, you can park in the garage directly next door from less money. I got a great deal on the room so I guess I shouldn't be complaining; however, if I had paid full price for this room I'd have been really, really unhappy.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
Dear JonathanF,
Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay. Despite the hiccups I am pleased that overall you had a good experience. Thanks for the feedback regarding your booking. We will double check our internet booking processes and get it right.
Key Largo, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

It's a beautiful hotel in downtown Coconut Grove. The rooms are really nice and they have ample space for a reception. The location is perfect for walking around Coconut Grove, where there are more shops, bars and restaurants to keep the average busy. You are also very close to Brickell Avenue, Key Biscayne, Downtown Miami. Perfect spot for getting to know Miami.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank MonaSellsKeysHomes
Mona,
Happy 30th Reunion! We were honored to celebrate with you and your classmates. Glad to be a part of such an important event. We hope you will be back at 40!
Best regards,