“Once again....great!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #22 of 121 Hotels in Miami
Newport Beach, California
“Once again....great!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

This is my third or fourth visit to the hotel, and another coming up next month. It works perfectly for our family....two adults, one teen...now UM student. We love having a full size frig with an icemaker in the freezer.

Pros: Two BR suite is fabulous.
Nice sheets
Spacious
Panorama offers good room service
Lobby smells fabulous....you'll only get it if you've been there. Wish they bottle it.
Employees are all very helpful and accommodating. Only had one "iffy" encounter in my
visits and that was in the restaurant.
Convenient to UM, and with Coconut Grove being a student hangout, your student might
even come visit you at the hotel instead of vice versa.

Cons: Parking is pricey. Call ahead for your car or you might be late for an appt.
Draperies in the 2BR suites are literally in shreds in some places. Seriously Sonesta, if
you would just change these draperies things would be PERFECT. But I won't let it stop
me from staying.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank 3tonkies
MargaretRose_CG, Manager at Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear 3tonkies,
Thank you for staying with us again. I am pleased you had another enjoyable visit. Our two bedroom suites are very popular because of the space they provide our guests. We also have one bedroom suites that are spacious as well. I appreciate your feedback as it will help us to continue to improve our product. We look forward to your return.
Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

I spent this past weekend at the Sonesta in Coconut Grove and it was amazing! The staff and service were wonderful. Next time I’m in town I will stay with them again. Excellent service, excellent view, and an all around great weekend.

Room Tip: I tend to be scared of heights, but you would be remised if you stayed below the 8th floor. Request...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear SMJ615,
Thank you for staying with us recently. We appreciate your feedback about your experience and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay. Our guest rooms begin on the 9th floor so all rooms have a nice view of the city or the bay. Simply let us know at the time of booking of any special floor request and we will do our very best to accommodate you. We hope to see you again soon.
Savannah, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

You can not go wrong here. If we can not get our room here, we don't come to Miami. The service is the best. They make you feel like you are special.... Rock star special! Special thanks to Elizabeth Dubon, she always takes care of us. Alex @ the pool is always nice and is a good dude. You can tell he cares about the guests. Although Rosemary wasn't there this visit, we sure missed her smile upon arrival. There are also so many things to do in the grove. From food to shopping, it is all here. Also, coral gables, the miracle mile are all close, with more food and shopping. I guess the only complaint I have, is when we have to go home....... :(

Room Tip: Two bedroom palm suite..... The best view you can get in Miami....
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mojitomel
MargaretRose_CG, Manager at Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear Mojitomel,
Thank you for your comments about your stay! We are very pleased that you enjoy Coconut Grove and all it has to offer. We are glad that our team made such an impression on you and provided you with outstanding service. We are all looking forward to your next visit.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

Greeted by friendly and helpful staff, got a room on a higher floor as requested. Room was clean. Fresh towels, clean bedding, pity we had a tiny balcony. Room service food was very tasty and service efficient. The pool and hot tub was clean and the view amazing. Definitely a place to stay if you don't need the craziness of South Beach. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Carla555
Dear Carla,
Thank you for your stay at our hotel and your comments about your experience. I will be sure to share your comments with our housekeeping team. We look forward to your return.
Madison, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

From the time you approach the hotel you realize you made the right choice. You can valet park or right next door you can park nightly for less since you stay in the hotel. The welcome team is great. The lobby is nice and airy and the team at the desk welcoming you with the biggest smile. You can ask them for any information and they are always helpful. The rooms are so beautiful. They are clean, modern comfortable. The view out the window any place you are in the hotel is just great. Of course if you get the bay view then you are in heaven. I will only stay in this hotel when I visit Miami.

Room Tip: The bayview rooms are worth the extra. Plus you get a balcony.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Bitat
Dear Bitat,
We are pleased that you had another great stay at our hotel and we appreciate your comments. We agree that we have some of the best views in the Grove and even if you do not select a Bay view room, our sunsets from the City View rooms are awesome also. I am pleased that our team made you feel welcomed! We are looking forward to your next visit.
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

This is a four star hotel tucked away in Coconut Grove with superb accommodations, a great staff (front desk, cleaning, valet, bell staff and restaurant) and extremely convenient to Miami and Miami Beach, Coral Gables, the Miracle Mile and all the other great local areas. It deserves every superlative I can give it. I stayed there 8 days for business and simply walked in off the street having cancelled my reservation at the Mayfair Hotel (just a few blocks away) because they were so unprofessional and inhospitable (see my separate review of the Mayfair). For someone just coming off the street the staff at the Sonesta was extremely gracious, gave me a great room and couldn't have been more accommodating. The Panorama restaurant has a great staff, good libations and terrific food (both an interesting Peruvian and American menu.
In all, it's everything a hotel should be.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra and get the water view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank WolfG
Dear WolfG,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I am pleased that our staffs made you feel right at home. Our Panorama Restaurant has both great food and a great view. I will be sure to share your comments with our Food and Beverage team. We hope to see you on your next trip to Coconut Grove.
Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

Sonesta is a great hotel overall. I've already stayed there four times with my wife and two girls and have nearly no complaints. I'll start with the few things i don't like and then I'll list the things I love about it.
I don't like the valet parking prices. It's much cheaper to park in the garage next door, plus, it's quicker to pick up your vehicle.
The room decoration could be a little bit more modern, I suppose, at least for my taste, although it's nice enough.
The evening staff at reception are nice, but not overly helpful.
That's where the flaws end, in my view.
On the bright side:
The view is just amazing. Both from the room we had (a very spacious royal palm two bedroom suite) and from the pool. That view of the bayfront and Miami beach skyline simply takes a few pounds off my shoulders.
The pool itself has just the right size to feel like a family pool, and it's heated which to my family is paramount. Plus, the fact that it rests on the 8th floor not only serves the view, but also makes the heat more tolerable in summertime.
The poolside restaurant (Panorama) is good, but i'm not as crazy about it as most people.
The room was great, ample, and very comfortable. We stayed at smaller rooms before and they work nearly as well.
The pillows are the best I've ever had in any hotel.
The gym is very complete and sits on the roof, with a broad view of Coconut Grove.
I love the location too, as it's walking distance from restaurants, shops and a movie theater. And within 10' from the Sunset mall and Coral Gables.
If you're a south beach fan, you're about 20' away. We're not crazy about the beach and driving to trendy south beach with a seven and a three year old is not the best of plans for us.
The whole ambience at the hotel is pleasant.
The manager, elizabeth dubon, was great to us too.
I can't imagine staying at another hotel in miami. it really fulfills or expectations.
Highly recommended!!!!

Room Tip: Pick a room with a bay view. They're more expensive, but opening the drapes to the sea is pricel...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank paulsommel
Dear paulsommel,

We are very pleased that your family has chosen to stay with us when you visit Miami. From your review it is clear that you have experienced our hotel and I am pleased that overall we made your stay enjoyable. Thank you for also sharing items that you did not like as your feedback assists us in continuing to improve our service. We appreciate your business and we hope to see your family again soon.