“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 120 Hotels in Miami
Bozeman, Montana
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2011

This is an excellent urban resort. This property has large, sleek rooms, beautiful views, excellent service and top-notch facilities.

We had a Deluxe Bay View Room. It is worth paying the extra money for the bay view, as opposed to the Deluxe Skyline View rooms. The Deluxe Skyline View rooms look out over the bridge that connects Brickell Key, the island on which the MO is located, to downtown Miami, and as a result, you are exposed to the attendant traffic noise when sitting on your balcony. Deluxe Bay View rooms are further from the bridge and provide better views of the Biscayne Bay. The higher the room number (i.e., Room 1717 has better views than Room 1711), the better the view.

The rooms have been recently revamped and are in like-new condition. They are spacious with the all the modern conveniences and luxuries, including large Sharp Aquos flat screen TV, Denon iPod dock, multiple phones, plenty of storage space and separate tub/shower/water closet. The rooms have a Asian design aesthetic, which is consistent with the feel of the MO generally. The only gripe I have about the rooms is that the bathroom offered a one sink vanity and lacked sufficient storage/counter space for two people.

We traveled with an infant, and the hotel set up, as we had requested, a crib, mini-fridge and microwave, all at no cost and with no fuss.

The pool area is plenty spacious and the pool, despite what some reviewers have said, is sufficiently big to accomodate all types of guests. The views from the pool are are nice, but the view from the "beach" are even better. We preferred the beach area because we found the sun loungers to be more comfortable, and there was generally more space to move about. Service at both the pool area and beach was friendly and efficient, with good food and drink service.

The gym at the hotel appeared to have almost new equipment--the cardio machines all had TVs and the weight machines were in great shape. The gym is constantly cleaned and refreshed, and offered complimentary scented towels, hand fruit, newspapers , headphones and bottled water. The gym also happens to look out over the baby, which is a nice change from the many subterrenean gyms that I have visited.

Brickell Key is a nice place for families, offering a 1.5 mile jogging/walking path free of cars that is great for pushing the stoller and enjoying the weather. There is even a grass field and playground--try finding that so close to a 5-star hotel in South Beach.

We ordered a number of room service meals and the quality of the food was uniformly excellent, the value propisition reasonably good and the service exceptional. The service generally was outstanding, from the valet and bellhops to the concierge and front desk staff.

My wife had a treatment at the spa and was very impressed. The hotel offers complimentary access to the spa facilities for hotel guests, a policy that I applaud. Hotels that charge guests to access the spa facilities cheapen the overall experience. The locker rooms offer a steam and sauna as well as an experience shower. I found the spa facilities to be perfectly adequate, but not exceptional in any real way. There is no comparison to, for instance, the spa facilities at the Landmark MO in Hong Kong or the Ojai Resort and Spa. I found that they could have tended to the locker rooms a bit more than they did--in the afternoon, there were many dirty towels scattered about and things were generally askew.

All in all, this MO meets the standard set by other MOs where we have stayed, including the Oriental in Bangkok and the Landmark MO in Hong Kong. I highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank qaz123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2011

My daughter gave us a weekend and dinner at this awesome hotel. We arrived at a busy time, so we checked in and was escorted to the elevator within five minutes. When we opened the door, we found a heart made of rose petals on the bed and a smartly decorated room. The wrap-around balcony allowed for views of the city and Bay. It was love at first sight. If you are traveling with a spouse or partner, you might like the view of the bath from the bedroom.

We had the tasting menu at Azul that night for our anniversary. The food was excellent.
I don't eat much Asian or Med inspired food, so the tasting menu was ideal for us. You can pay a little more and have it paired with wine. The Sommelier there is great and will suggest the wine to make your dining a pleasure. He suggested a champagne for our toast that we normally don't select. Yes, the tab and tip was more than I normally pay,
but the experience was worth the extra expense. It is definitely a special occasion restaurant, if you are on a budget.

We then spent time in the lounge listening to live music. The area is tastefully appointed and it gives you a calming, zen feeling. This weekend was the most relaxing hotel stay that I can remember. When we returned to our room, we found chocolate-covered
strawberries and our bed turned down for a relaxing evening.

The breakfast on Sunday in the casual restaurant offered menu items and a buffet choice.
The buffet offered assorted breads, waffles, pancakes, eggs benedict, bacon, eggs,etc.
I would have preferred a good egg white omelet. On Monday morning we ordered off the menu, because the offered a Continental Breakfast Buffet. The Cuban Omelet was great.

The food is great and expensive compared to hotels where I normally stay. We walked across the bridge to another hotel to compare prices and decided we would rather eat
at our hotel. The pool and service was great. We ordered Mojitos and shrimp wraps that were very tasty. We had Kobe beef burgers for dinner in the casual dining restaurant.

I have not figured out the beach without being able to go into the water, but I enjoyed
a swing or two in the hammock. There's cabanas, and lounge chairs available for guest, as well.

Despite losing a small bag between South Beach and Mandarin Oriental, I had such a great time that I didn't worry that the bag was missing. The bag was not found but the clerk took my info in case someone found it. Can you believe that I order lunch to go?
The homemade chocolate from the restaurant went on to South Beach with me, too.

I am a fussy traveler, who selects 4-Star hotels and find it difficult to sleep in most of them
This was a 5-Star experience. Thanks MO for my best anniversary experience!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2011

i actually stayed here two years ago as part of a holiday retreat. the service and the facilities were great. my main complaint is that the actual hotel rooms were much less than what i would have expected for the prices we were paying. our room needed some upgrading. the tv was old and not even a flat screen. the room need to be re carpeted. also, this hotel is quite a distance away from miami downtown/beach so there wasn't much to do outside of the organized events held by my company. overall great hotel for the service, but plenty of other options in miami to choose from where your money will be better spent.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
Los angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2010

This was my 4th visit to Mandarin Oriental and every time I arrive , I feel right at home...The aroma of the lobby smells like a spa and the incense burning smells like you have arrived at some exotic land...Brickell Key is a peaceful and beautiful location away fromt he hustle and bustle...The pool is just the right size, the new lounge chairs are beautiful, and comfortable, the rcently redone beach is also beautiful...In my opinion the entire hotel is absolutely perfect...When I arrive there is always someone there to welcome me at the valet area, the bellman and doorman remember me from 7 months ago and some by name which is quite impressive...The front desk staff treats me with the utmost respect and kindness and as if I am the most important client ever...The pool staff are great with an amazing menu of healthy cuisine and the best sushi ever delivered to your pool lounge...During the day they also come around with toothoics filled with berries and fruit...also they will have smoothie samples in cute little tulip cups on a stem as a sample and refreshment...not a trick is missed at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel Pool. Both restaurants at the hotel are the best ever Azul and Cafe Sambal never dissapoint on service and or taste and quality of pool....The seafood is my favorite at Azul and the desserts....at Cafe Sambal the sushi is fantastic along with an eclectic menu...

The rooms are spacious and luxurious and so comfortable the beds are great, the bathrooms are large...the amenities are great..I have nothing to say but wonderful things about the accomodations at the Mandarin Oriental Miami aka MOMIA

The spa was recently redone and one of my favorite parts of the hotel...do not miss out on a wonderful treatment in the spa at the MOMIA...it is the best...a great new shower which is all computerized in the spa area is not to be missed never had a shower quite like this..

anyway...this is a wonderful place to escape to in the Miami area...you can just relax and spend the whole weekend at this location without going anywhere else...there is beautiful scenery and skylines and walking areas...LOVE IT...nothing is better and cannot wait to go back

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2010

This is a first class hotel for business of pleasure. A employee of the front desk will check you in and then walk you to your elevator. The shower, tub and sink open into the room with a shade to pull down if you want privacy. Interesting and kind of fun if you are getting dressed up for a big evening with your spouse. Wonderful restaurants and a beautiful bar that is lighted from the floor at night. Room service is perfect and the staff will treat you so well making sure you are pleased in every way.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2010

This was my second time at the Mandarin in two years, and everyone from the bellman to the front desk reception to the concierge welcomed me back. I needed a few days away, and I also spent a day at the spa. The spa is the best spa I have been to, because of the space and the service. I would highly recommend this hotel as a relaxing weekend getaway. The pool is beautiful, and the manmade beach is heavenly-- it's private and very peaceful. They even upgraded my room at check-in without my requesting it.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2010

We originally had considered the MO but thought it might be too corporate for a leisure break, having checked in and straight out of Lowes on South Beach which was a nightmare we decided to get rooms at the MO. It made our stay in Miami, so much we ended our trip there as well.

The hotel was simply fantastic, very relaxing and not at all corporate to the level you may think, it's not south beach, but if you want a few days in fab surroundings in a relaxed chilled out stay this place is fantastic.

We stayed for 5 nights at the start and 2 at the end. The hotel is spotlessly clean and the rooms are lovely. We had 2 rooms with balconies facing the water and it was a fab view, particularly at night to see the city lit up.

The location may not suit all as its on the edge of the financial distriict so its a 15 min drive to key biscayne or 20 mins to south beach, but if you want tthe benefits of Miami on your door and a 5 star hotel this is a very good choice.

The hotel sits on a small island with 3 or 4 residential expensive condo buildings, there is a 1.5 mile running track around the island/hotel. MO its own artificial beach which is actually very good, but its not a beach where you'll find jet skis on it etc. However if you want a view of the water and sand beneath your feet then its a very relaxing place to soak up the sun and makes a nice change from sitting at a pool.

The MO pool is an ok size but its not huge, the restaurants were very good indeed for both breakfast and for Azul for dinner.

We had room service a couple of evening and one evening it wasn't particularly good, one of my party wasn't well the next day, however the management dealt with this very quickly indeed and could not have resolved my compliant any better.

As we came to the end of out stay we cancelled where we had intended to stay and came back here for the last 2 days of our stay.

Summary:
Great city/water hotel
Fantastic water views
Good location but you will need to take taxi's or car hire for trips further a field to south beach etc
Very relaxing
Nice pool
Not for those who want to stay in South Beach type location, with large hotels with extensive pool complexs etc
Fantastic rooms
Good management
Overall great experience
Easily recommend to others

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank RJB1000
Also consider these accommodations in or near Miami
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton - Miami/Brickell-Downtown
EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel
Conrad Miami
#9 of 120 in Miami
4.5 of 5 stars 1,716 reviews

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Miami? Share your experiences!