This is an excellent urban resort. This property has large, sleek rooms, beautiful views, excellent service and top-notch facilities.
We had a Deluxe Bay View Room. It is worth paying the extra money for the bay view, as opposed to the Deluxe Skyline View rooms. The Deluxe Skyline View rooms look out over the bridge that connects Brickell Key, the island on which the MO is located, to downtown Miami, and as a result, you are exposed to the attendant traffic noise when sitting on your balcony. Deluxe Bay View rooms are further from the bridge and provide better views of the Biscayne Bay. The higher the room number (i.e., Room 1717 has better views than Room 1711), the better the view.
The rooms have been recently revamped and are in like-new condition. They are spacious with the all the modern conveniences and luxuries, including large Sharp Aquos flat screen TV, Denon iPod dock, multiple phones, plenty of storage space and separate tub/shower/water closet. The rooms have a Asian design aesthetic, which is consistent with the feel of the MO generally. The only gripe I have about the rooms is that the bathroom offered a one sink vanity and lacked sufficient storage/counter space for two people.
We traveled with an infant, and the hotel set up, as we had requested, a crib, mini-fridge and microwave, all at no cost and with no fuss.
The pool area is plenty spacious and the pool, despite what some reviewers have said, is sufficiently big to accomodate all types of guests. The views from the pool are are nice, but the view from the "beach" are even better. We preferred the beach area because we found the sun loungers to be more comfortable, and there was generally more space to move about. Service at both the pool area and beach was friendly and efficient, with good food and drink service.
The gym at the hotel appeared to have almost new equipment--the cardio machines all had TVs and the weight machines were in great shape. The gym is constantly cleaned and refreshed, and offered complimentary scented towels, hand fruit, newspapers , headphones and bottled water. The gym also happens to look out over the baby, which is a nice change from the many subterrenean gyms that I have visited.
Brickell Key is a nice place for families, offering a 1.5 mile jogging/walking path free of cars that is great for pushing the stoller and enjoying the weather. There is even a grass field and playground--try finding that so close to a 5-star hotel in South Beach.
We ordered a number of room service meals and the quality of the food was uniformly excellent, the value propisition reasonably good and the service exceptional. The service generally was outstanding, from the valet and bellhops to the concierge and front desk staff.
My wife had a treatment at the spa and was very impressed. The hotel offers complimentary access to the spa facilities for hotel guests, a policy that I applaud. Hotels that charge guests to access the spa facilities cheapen the overall experience. The locker rooms offer a steam and sauna as well as an experience shower. I found the spa facilities to be perfectly adequate, but not exceptional in any real way. There is no comparison to, for instance, the spa facilities at the Landmark MO in Hong Kong or the Ojai Resort and Spa. I found that they could have tended to the locker rooms a bit more than they did--in the afternoon, there were many dirty towels scattered about and things were generally askew.
All in all, this MO meets the standard set by other MOs where we have stayed, including the Oriental in Bangkok and the Landmark MO in Hong Kong. I highly recommend this resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Contemporary in design and with a prominent waterfront location, the luxurious Mandarin Oriental, Miami features 326 elegant guest rooms and suites - offering dramatic views of the bay and the Miami skyline. Amenities include signature restaurants Azul and La Mar by Gaston Acurio, MO Bar + Lounge - a dynamic cocktail lounge, an award-winning tri-level spa, Oasis Beach Club, the luxury boutique Shanghai Tang and extensive meeting and business facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Mandarin Oriental, Hotwire, Expedia, Odigeo, Orbitz, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Mandarin Oriental, Miami reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mandarin Oriental, Miami Hotel Miami
- Mandarin Oriental Hotel Miami
- Mandarin Miami
- Miami Mandarin Oriental