“Marvelous hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Mandarin Oriental, Miami
Ranked #4 of 121 Hotels in Miami
“Marvelous hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2005

I had a wonderful stay at the Manadarin in July. An excellent five star hotel. I stayed in a Superior Bay view room on the 16th floor. The room was clean and spacious with all the emities that you would expect from a five star hotel. The room has three phones one which is cordless, bathrobes, slippers and an umbrella. The room had a balony with chairs and a table to enjoy the view of the bay. The only problem with the balony is, if your room is in the middle of the hotel your view of the bay will be partly block by what appears to be a condo building directly in front of the bay. I didn't get to try the restarants at the hotel, but I did ordered room service. The food came right on time as schedule with all the condiments you can think of, but the food was very mediocre.

I enjoyed a day at their spa, which was very nice. The lomi lomi massage is done in a special suite of the spa with a very nice view of the pool.

The pool was nice as was the manmade beach. The hotel didn't seem to be crowd at all even tho I was told it was booked solid. It could have been because of Hurricane Dennis. But the weather there was perfect. It didn't even rain.

I would definitly stay again.

• Stayed July 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2005

I cna not praise this hotel enough, the staff the quality of food, service, rooms, facilities.

And although some say it is expensive; we paid less for a two course meal with drinks here that at The Wyndham Miami Beach which was horrible!!!! and although room service was pricy the bar drinks and Cafe Sambulwere no worse than other hotels we stayed in and at least here the service and place is great too.

I would definately rccomend this hotel if, but be prepared for a bit of a journey to the Art Deco district and Lincoln drive where the restaurants and night life are (about $22 to $30 each way)

Fantastic place i wish i could holiday with them all the time.

• Stayed July 2005
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2005

My wife and I recently stayed a night at the Mandarin on our honeymoon. The hotel, lobby, and rooms were all very nice and I was very impressed. Hotel staff was very courteous and accommodating. The private beach, while it looked very nice and clean, was unusuable due to the number of mosquitos present. I felt that the price of the room was fair, $330 for an ocean view on the 17th floor, however food and drinks were WAYYYYY overpriced.

I was unable to get reservations at the 5 star restaurant Azul, so instead my wife and I went to Cafe Sambal for dinner. The dinner was okay, we both got shrimp, which were very good, a salad each, 2 pina coladas, and 2 diet cokes. For a meal that I thought was decent but nothing spectacular by no means, I would have put it a step above Applebees for example, I expected to pay around $50, however when I got the bill it was over $95!! Turns out they charge $10 for mixed drinks, ridiculous. Room service was also overpriced, 2 dishes of ice cream later in the evening came to $35. My wife is a diet coke addict so we had to purchase a few while there, they were $3.50 for one of those small 8 oz bottles. Yeah the soda didn't break my wallet but just the thought still aggravated me.... and don't even think about using the mini fridge.

I personally will never stay there again, after having saved money to have a great honeymoon I felt I wasted $200 by staying here. If money is not an issue for you then by all means its a great place, the high prices on some items just left a very sour taste in my mouth. If I could do it again I'd still get the room, but I'd buy a case of soda and order a pizza for delivery instead.

• Stayed June 2005
    • 3 of 5 stars
12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Camas, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2005

Stayed for three nights in January. The hotel was superb from check in to check out. The architecture is spectacular and the lobby truly elegant with lovely views and gorgeous materials. Even though we had an entry level room it was fantastic. Spacious with lovely soothing decor and very comfy bed. Bathroom worthy of a maharaja. The pool is nice and service great. The food at Azul to die for. Room service was excellent, and the staff ultra professional. The hotel was peaceful and relaxing as opposed to the frenetic pace of South Beach. The Mandarin Oriental Miami is as close to perfection as it gets. We actually extended a night it was so enjoyable.

12 Thank MonkeyGreen
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2005

After staying 2 nights at The Tides on SOBE we decided to try 3 nights at the Mandarin. There was absolutely nothing wrong with The Tides however our move was due to the excessive weekend rates that are applied to Miami hotels. If you want the exclusivity the Mandarin Oriental is the place to stay.

Like other Mandarin Orinental hotels that we have stayed in the Miami hotel exceeds in customer service. The staff are helpful, friendly and are taught to make the guests feel welcomed. The conceirge service seem to have the answer and connections for everything! We stayed here for my husbands 30 Birthday and he was pleasantly surpised when the hotel delivered a Birthday cake to our room. The timing was impecable - the cake seemed to coincide with our perfectly with a short afternoon visit to our room.

We chose to stay in a ocean front room. The furninshing were solid and were in line with a 5 star rating. The bathroom was a decent size with a opening in the wall between the bathroom and room separated onlywith a blind. This did not bother us as a married couple, however just to highlight, the tolilet itself had it's own room with a door.

If I was to ever visit Miami again, I would definately choose this location over South beach. The Mandarin seems to have everything, including a man made beach for bathing, plus more!

A fantastic place to get away from it all!

• Stayed May 2005
    • 4 of 5 stars
12 Thank msyc
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2005

I stayed at the resort for a business conference. I have stayed at many five star resorts throughout the united states, this was one of the best. Although at no cost to me because I attended for business purposes, the hotel is very very pricey. I'm not sure I would stay on my own because the rooms go for over $500 a night. My room was on the 7th floor; beautiful view, BOSE radio in the room, stall shower and a bathtub. Turndown service, perosnalized wake up calls, the whole nine yards. The rooms are decorated in an asian style with bambo shades and rich brown and white colors. The food was excellent. I also used the spa; this is where I thought they could have done better. I had a spa manicure and pedicure and it was over $125 dollars and I swear the nail salons in Manhattan do a much better job. It was really nothing special. Also, there is not proper gift or amenities shop. But that's no big deal. The pool ara is small and there is no beach. There is a faux beach area where they have it filled with sand. A beautiful serence retreat and visit the bar, they make great mojuitoes!!!!!! Oh, and there were star sightings as well; Colin Farrell, Lindsay Lohan, Penelope Cruz and Matthew McCaughneny ( I can't spell his name.)

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business
8 Thank Chickynyc
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2005

Has everything you would expect from a good business hotel. Bathroom can also open up to the bedroom so you can watch TV from the tub. A bit tricky to find the turning to the hotel since it is not signposted off 8th. Check-in staff a bit teutonic. Concierge was more friendly, helpful. Nice gym, pool. Parking is USD24/night.

• Stayed April 2005