“Enjoyed our stay”

Mandarin Oriental, Miami
Ranked #5 of 128 Hotels in Miami
Reviewed February 1, 2014

A lovely hotel undergoing some alterations. We stayed here for 3 nights and found the room 816 stunning with a lovely view of Biscayne Bay. The beach and pool areas are very nice and staff very attentive. The lobby is probably the only area lacking ..... When we arrived there was the temporary bar area overflowing towards check in with a large noisy group, slightly off putting when you believe your booking into a 5 star hotel! We decided to have a drink in the bar attached to the restaurant which was excellent, the staff were very friendly and attentive. Would recommend and stay again but it is a city location with not a lot to walk to.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank FieldH0use
Write a ReviewReviews (2,677)

Reviewed February 1, 2014

After a recent death in the family, I decided to do a quick Miami getaway. I considered Aruba but couldn't find favorable flight times for such a short weekend. I settled on the quiet more isolated MO over a South beach location because of the bay view and manmade beach and less crowds. wanted something with a water view and MO seemed to fit the bill. The hotel itself is visually stunning and Zen-like. Love the bathroom with the large soaker tub. I'm a bathroom fanatic, so bathrooms are important. Not as nice as a Trump bathroom but nice. I was traveling solo so the open window from the bathroom to the bedroom was fine. Might be an issue of you're traveling with a group you're not close to. There is a cloth Hunter Douglas blind that can be used to separate the things if necessary. I booked thru Expedia mainly because it's convenient not having to go to 50 websites even though u won't get the best room at times. I upgraded to a bayside view at the time of booking. Check-in was quick and I was offered a refreshing cold tea during checkin. I confirmed at check-in that I did indeed have a bay view. I get to the room which was nice, but there was barely a balcony. You could step out but not turn around. Wow. So I call the front desk and asked what was the availability to upgrade to something that chairs could fit on that I could see water. Not particularly fond of looking out at buildings. Wasn't looking for a freebie even though I thought I selected an upgrade at booking so I stressed that I was willing to pay..I was moved to a deluxe veranda for asmall fee,which was large and had room for two lounge chairs. Same type of room, but with a nice large veranda and NO cheap plastic chairs. My only beef was the definition of nice view. I wanted to see more water and less building but I was tired and didn't want to move again. Everyone was really helpful though. Bed was comfy but pillows were too soft for my liking even though I like feather pillows. Had to call engineering 're the entertainment system. He verbally talked me thru setup and offered to come up if I still had problems. The first room had a separate entertainment system whereas the 2nd room had an integrated system with HDMI, usb, and audio inputs at the desk. I am pretty tech savvy but I had to call because I couldn't find a button on the remote to switch inputs. Also u need a special cable to use your iPod/iPhone that only they have. I suspect there may have been a fee involved to use their cable so beware that your normal cable won't work. I do have a special cable to view video content for my apple devices but didn't bring it.WiFi is $15/24hr period. I think they may have an offer of free WiFi if u book thru the website and sign up for their free preferred club program. My cell is great as a mobile hotspot so I was good. There is a sony dream machine with an Apple dock, so I made due. I would have liked to see tea or other coffee selections. I normally travel with my own loose tea and accessories but didn't bring them for this short trip. A nice Illy espresso machine was provided. Room service was quick and I was able to order tea, though Jasmine green was the only offering for green tea. Menu is not extensive but I thought that the sushi roll was good. I'd rate the mojito 7/10.Skirt steak was well seasoned albeit it a little tough, but hey, it's skirt steak. I was informed of a marathon occurring on my checkout day which was a nice heads up. There is a free downtown Brickell Trolley that has a stop across from the hotel. I can't comment on spa services or man made beach yet. Will update later. Not quite the Ritz but not Holiday inn. Solid service so far with minor hiccups.

Room Tip: If u want a water view request to be placed on the far end. Room 610 deluxe veranda has actual rec...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Travelerof1
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Having stayed at this Mandarin for over 12 years, it is uniformly excellent. I think they have had the same general manager for all these years, who I never had the pleasure of meeting, but his direction is evident. The hotel is beautiful and well run, the facilities and service are unbelievably excellent. Every staff member exhibits hospitality at its best, from the doormen, valets, front desk, operators and housekeeping. Special mention to the front desk managers and reservations, notably Nathalie, who welcome you before you arrive, and make sure your personal details are known or remembered.
The lobby is gorgeous as are the well-appointed rooms and the outside terraces and pool, beach and grounds give you everything you want. A luxury setting with superb service.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank George A
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Found this hotel very peaceful. The pool was good. The restaurants were good and the service was great. I really can't fault it.
The shower was amazing and I absolutely loved all the products all over the bathroom.
I have to add though, if you're going with a friend, make sure it's a close one. I had only a curtain to separate the bedroom from the bathroom and it was a huge bathroom.

The only thing I would want to add would be a bar or restaurant on the top floor, what a view that would be. Everything was basically on the ground floor and despite it being lovely, I think a rooftop bar/restaurant would have added something extra special.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Maria121
Reviewed January 21, 2014

This is an outstanding property -- beautiful facility and wonderful staff service. They are really a luxury oriented facility. A first class place; but, they charge accordingly. My only "gripe" is that for this level of hotel, it strikes me as tacky to charge for local phone calls and Wi-Fi. Much less expensive hotels in the area don't. Al in all, it was perfection.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
MOResponse, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Miami, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. Your constructive comments are very important to us.

I am happy to learn that overall you had an enjoyable experience at the hotel.

I would like to mention that as October 14, 2013, guests who book their reservations on mandarinoriental.com and create a profile will receive complimentary Internet access during their stay.

Thank you again for sharing your comments on your recent stay and hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back.

Jorge Gonzalez

Reviewed January 19, 2014

This mandarin Oriental property caters mostly to business travelers so it’s a bit quiet though service is flawless and the rooms very elegant. Location in Brickell means proximity to the business district but far from the beach. At night there’s little to do on a walking distance thus you will need a car or taxi if you want to be where the action is.
I went early Dec for Art Basel and since hotel was 100% full service was less than one would expect at a M.O.

Pros:
• Best concierge in town; Italo and his colleagues are fantastic.
• Ultra comfortable and elegant rooms with high-quality amenities, bedding, etc.
• Best spa in Miami.
• Food is terrific, even room service is great.

Cons:
• Business-like environment.
• Location too isolated from the beaches and South Beach vibe.
• Rooms need an update, technology is dated.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Bay.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank SPimentel
Reviewed January 11, 2014

When traveling to Miami and avoiding South Beach, there are few locations as nice as the Mandarin on Brickell Key. It is a very comfortable hotel with friendly staff and good amenities. The location provides access to a plethora of restaurants and entertainment close to the hotel as well as to downtown Miami. The hotel's location is conveniently located to Miami International Airport as well as to the port of Miami.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business