“Pretty nice hotel with staff issues”

Mandarin Oriental, Miami
Ranked #5 of 125 Hotels in Miami
Reviewed October 21, 2013

To be candid, this is not the nicest Mandarin Oriental. However, it is still a pretty nice hotel. Brickell Key is quiet area near the business district and we appreciated being away from the hustle and bustle of Miami Beach. We enjoyed the spa, breakfast, pool area (with passed complimentary smoothies and fresh fruit) and appreciated the quality of the turndown service. The negatives - the hallways were stained (significant ink stains on the carpet) and there was some damage to the wall in our room. Generally, our "upgraded" room was nice, but not special. It was also strange that the bathroom was so open to the rest of the room. The beach area is not a real beach, and the shipyards are in view. I was completely unimpressed with the concierge desk - very inexperienced and I also got the feeling that the staff was more concerned with being expeditious than accommodating. I similarly felt that way about checkout. We requested a late checkout, which was granted. However, our key was still deactivated prior to our checkout. When we were locked out of our room after the pool, the manager (Luis) was very unapologetic, which seems inconsistent with a luxury brand. If, in fact, our key was going to be deactivated, we should have been told that when we were extended late checkout. If it was such a problem for the hotel, we should not have been granted late checkout. I did not appreciate Luis's attitude, where he reluctantly extended our late checkout by 10 minutes to placate us.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PAG224
MOResponse, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Miami, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. Your comments are very important to us.
I am sorry to learn that your stay was not up to the standards of service we strive to provide to all our guests. I will share your comments with our colleagues and reinforce training, efficiency and attention to detail as we wish for all our guests to have a memorable and enjoyable stay at the hotel.

I will also address the lapses in services you experienced by some of our colleagues and take corrective measures.

Although we are not located in the heart of South Beach, we pride ourselves on being a private island oasis away from the high energy of the beach area with a Five-Star Spa and excellent restaurants. The tranquility and surroundings of our pool and man made beach, although not ample in space or made for swimming, provide a quiet escape for guests trying to get away from other crowded areas of the city.

We focus on maintaining and updating the guest room furnishings and decor while ensuring total comfort for all of our guests. We will certainly take your comments concerning the guest room into consideration and make immediate improvements.

Again, our apologies for the disappointing stay. I do hope you will reconsider and give us another opportunity with a return visit to Mandarin Oriental, Miami in the future. Please contact the Executive Office for any future assistance.

Jorge Gonzalez
Area Vice President &

Reviewed October 18, 2013

Don't let the prices of this hotel sway you, staying here is worth every single solitary penny you will spend. From the open air lobby to the gorgeous rooms, there isn't a thing that I would change about this property. I highly recommend getting a room with a city view, nothing beats sitting out on the expansive balcony and taking in that gorgeous night skyline. Take a dip in the infinity edge pool, order a few drinks and learn what true relaxation really is. Amazing atmosphere, equally amazing staff! We have stayed here several times in the past and look forward to many future visits as well.

Room Tip: Higher floors offer a better view of the skyline.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank FLDMFan
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We had a 5-night stay in this hotel. There were minor issues when we checked into our room eg expired light bulbs, batteries in safe and tv controller depleted, but these we're attended to promptly. We requested, and received, a complimentary tea tray in our room for the duration of our stay. We've stayed at MO hotels in a number of locations and they've all been excellent, however I totally object to being charged high prices (or at all, for that matter!) for wifi when travelling far from home and, for that reason, will stay elsewhere in the future.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 16, 2013

this was a great hotel and I would recommend it...service was amazing and the food was great... prices were nice too, I stayed for 3 days had a beautiful time close to everything... must stay.... we had visited before but never stayed at this hotel next time we visit we will make sure to stay there again...

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I love this hotel. I took advantage of all the good stuff on the property. The atmosphere is zen, the staff is professional, friendly, and helpful. It seemed like nothing was ignored. The spa was fantastic-the atmosphere was very relaxing with dimmed lights, and the spa staff was very professional and well-trained. The entire hotel was clean. The only downside that I saw during my stay, was a renovation to the restaurant. They were seating diners in the lobby area and outside on the terrace temporarily, however, it still looked pleasant. The lobby was large enough to make it seem like the diners belonged there. The room service was very good. The servers were professional and the food was well presented.
I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: The hotel is on an Island, so most rooms will have a view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Excellent service and room amenities . Even though I stayed there at the same time as Real Madrid Team and the hotel was surrounded by the fans, I still could find peace and privacy.
The staff was so nice , friendly , and very professional.

However; I would not recommend this hotel for those looking for lively South Beach atmosphere.

But if you are looking for peaceful place to stay , you should not look elsewhere :)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Its a quite Hotel near Downtown Miami. Its large but feels like a boutique hotel. Rooms are clean and spacious. Room service was fast and food decent. Great for a business traveller who needs to be close to Downtown but wanst an hotel on the water with great views to relax in the evenings. My only complaint was the a/c wasn't running very well and I prefer a cold room. I would have asked to switch but, didn't feel up to all the bother.

Room Tip: Check A/C when you arrive.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple