“A real disappointment”

Ranked #5 of 122 Hotels in Miami
La Jolla, CA
“A real disappointment”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Went to the Mandarin expecting the very best. Most of the staff tried very hard to be friendly and attentive, but between the construction (jack hammering beginning at 8:30am and going most of the day) and limited restaurant menus, we were off to a bad start. When the waiter disappeared during dinner and no one could find him, it was another bad sign. Finally, when we were ready to check out, I discovered they had lost my shoes! You would think they would at least apologize for some of this, but they did not flinch. 'See you next time' they said. I don't think so.

Room Tip: Check to see if the jack hammering is still going on. Even high floors cannot escape
1 Thank mgoros
MOResponse, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Miami, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of Mandarin Oriental, Miami on Trip Advisor. Your constructive comments are very important to us.

I sincerely apologize that the overall quality of your stay was disappointing. I regret that we did not provide the level of service expected and apologize for the deficiencies experienced. I assure you I will address your comments with the team and take corrective measures.

We hope you will give us another opportunity with a return visit in the future. Please contact the Executive Office and we will ensure your next visit is seamless and enjoyable.

Jorge Gonzalez
Area Vice President

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 29, 2013

MO, Miami, is a wonderful property. My wife and I arrived on an early flight and thought we'd drop bags at the hotel and explore as we didn't think our room would be ready. To our delight, we were checked in and shown to our room high above the bay, overlooking Miami.

Our room was exceptionally clean and very comfortable, When plugging in my music, the media center provided great sound for just the right ambiance.

Housekeeping is top notch. As we left daily for breakfast, we would turn on the light requesting our room to be made up. Upon our return, all was in perfect order. A very quick turn around indeed. Terrace was large and comfortable, we would sit on our terrace in the evening, enjoy a cocktail and watch all the light turn on in Miami across the bay.

Café Sambal was a bit disappointing as there was loud construction taking place during the day and breakfast was a little less than relaxing.

The pool area is a perfect spot to kick back and relax with a cool cocktail and light snacks.

Valet service was also very efficient as it took no time to bring up our car.

Overall a very good experience and a very enjoyable holiday.

Room Tip: Higher rooms on the bay side provide for a wonderful view and a large terrace.
Johannesburg
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We spent 6 great days at MO before and after a big family trip to Disney World...having arrived after 20+ hours of travelling we were relieved to have a seamless check-in. The staff are simply amazing in all departments...friendly, attentive and always willing to help. The rooms are modern, spacious and the balconies provided a welcome view and a great place for a sundowner or post dinner nightcap. The bathrooms are large, well appointed and well stocked, but some might be uncomfortable with the semi-open plan bedroom/bathroom design...but that need not be a problem as one can simply close the divider. Travelling with our own kids and nieces might have been a challenge but the room service and housekeeping staff continued to work their magic and made it a memorable stay for parents and kids alike. The pool was a great distraction and the food and drinks service was faultless, though at the weekend the pool area did get rather loud and rowdy, and was less kid friendly. The room service menu was comprehensive, tasty and service was accurate and efficient, though as one would expect... expensive...our room service bill cost more than our accommodation...ouch! Unfortunately we did not eat in any of the restaurants.
This was a welcome oasis of tranquility and luxury for the parents after 8 days in the Happiest Place on Earth...a faultless stay and we can't wait to go back. One word of caution...the location may not be ideal for those looking to be close to the beach, nightlife or shopping.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Philadelphia
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Arrival began with no reservation..and no rooms available. There were no questions about why it happened, just an immediate search for a solution, apologies for something they didn't do. And an upgraded room at the meeting rate found in minutes without apparently having to seek approval. Free water bottles showed up everywhere without asking. Poolside table reservation for a group moved seamlessly into a indoor setting when the heat index soared over 100 with an incoming storm. The room was a large corner suite with exceptional bathroom and current electronics. I somewhat expect this at a high end hotel, but the ease, grace and individual responsibility of staff was memorable.

• Stayed July 2013
Michigan
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Spent the last night of a Florida trip here and knew we were splurging to do so. The room + breakfast package ($310) actually wasn't over the top, given how beautiful the property is and how nice and secluded it is from the Miami craziness. Front desk also let us check in early and upgraded us a room level for no cost. Wife loved her trip to the spa.

Heads-up: EVERYTHING else is expensive. $16 + service charge for one pina colada, $8 for a Bud Light, $5 for an 8-ounce Sprite in the room, tips for everyone, $40 valet, etc. Expect higher prices at a luxury resort, but this pushed the limits of being ridiculous.

Room Tip: Had a skyline room w/ balcony overlooking the water. Watch out for the pigeons (and their droppings...
naples
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Our room had an awesome view! The room was spacious and the balcony was very large. The bed and linens were very comfortable and clean. Very nice experience and stay. All of the little extras you would expect.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Hamilton, Bermuda
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I will start by saying that I love staying at the Mandarin in Miami. My husband and I have stayed in the hotel a number of times, and every time we have been impressed by the luxurious rooms and attentive service. It is truly one of my favorite hotels.

We stayed at the hotel last week to celebrate our first wedding anniversary (we also spent our honeymoon at the Mandarin). We were once again 'wowed' by the room, the pool, and service. My husband put some clothing in for laundering on our first night, including a pair of shorts which I had given up on long ago. I had failed miserably to remove the rust,oil and dirt stains, and they also had huge tear in one of the legs. We had planned to go buy new shorts the next day. However, when the shorts were returned (along with his neatly folded underwear in a small wooden trunk) they looked like new! All stains gone, and the tear neatly sewn up. On this occasion, the Mandarin truly exceeded our expectations.

My 'average' rating is therefore not for the hotel. Whilst at the hotel I decided to treat myself to a facial and manicure at the spa. I arrived on time for my appointment and, after reading two magazines cover to cover plus a newspaper, my therapist eventually arrived. (There were no clocks in the spa, so I don't know if she was late, but it certainly felt like a long time.) I explained that, as my appointment was late afternoon and we had dinner plans, I would not have time to wash my hair after the facial, and so asked the therapist if she could avoid getting product in my hair. She said that this would not be a problem. I was therefore upset to find that following the facial my hair was full of product. It seemed like this was a simple request that failed to be met. Upon checking out of the spa I was asked if I had enjoyed the facial, so explained how the experience had been spoiled. The man I spoke to apologized and presented me with the invoice.

Upon returning to our room, my husband explained that he had received a call from the spa, 50 minutes into my appointment time, asking if he knew where I was. The spa thought I hadn't turned up. What the spa staff would not know is that I have had a number of medical emergencies in the last year, so upon hearing that I was not at the spa, my husband began searching the entire hotel, including every elevator, the pool, etc. He was quite upset. Eventually he returned to the spa to see if I had arrived, to be told by the staff that I had been there all along.

I dislike complaining, but feel that our stay at the Mandarin was marred by our spa experience. I would however, not hesitate to recommend the hotel. Upon checking out we told the receptionist about our experience of the spa, and were told that we would be contacted by the spa director. I am still waiting a week later......

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
MOResponse, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Miami, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your return visit to Mandarin Oriental, Miami and for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor. Your feedback is very important to us.

I sincerely apologize for the miscommunication that occurred during your visit and for the distress your husband experienced. Our Spa Director will be reaching out to you to turn around this negative experience.

Thank you again for staying with us and hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back again in the future.

Kind regards,