WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Mandarin Oriental, Miami

Mandarin Oriental, Miami
Ranked #4 of 124 Hotels in Miami
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Nice, but Not Extraordinary”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

I am increasingly finding that there are vast differences in the quality of the various Mandarin Oriental hotels around the world, from the original Asian ones to, well, San Francisco, one of the worst 5-star hotels I have ever experienced. Miami falls somewhere in between, although overall it is good and I have stayed there more than once, partly because of the lack of better options in the area. The service is fine (again, sorry, not Miami-bashing, but fairly typical of Miami: laid back, somewhat inefficient, somewhat friendly); this assessment extends from the concierge, to the front desk to housekeeping and to the restaurants (which, again, are good but not great). The rooms are in need of refreshment despite a recent much vaunted renovation (I really couldn't tell much between before and after except that flat-screen TVs were added!); the bathrooms have a strange 1990s layout and feel, still. The views are beautiful, and I personally like the location, although of course it is not at the beach (there are tons of nice restaurants within a 5 to 10 minute drive, overall better than at the beach, I think). The gym is fantastic, the pool is not.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank pcinbk
MOResponse, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Miami, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of Mandarin Oriental, Miami on Trip Advisor. Your constructive comments are very important to us.

I sincerely apologize that the experience you had at the hotel was not up to the standards we strive to provide to all our guests. I will address each of your detailed points with the pertinent departments and will correct the deficiencies in service you encountered. Please understand that providing excellent service that is gracious, personalized and attentive is our top priority and we will continue to train our team of dedicated colleagues on a daily basis.

I hope you will give us another opportunity and am at your service for any assistance in the future

Area Vice President

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

Stayed there back in November for the first time, although we were familiar with the hotel's restaurants before. Comfortable rooms, excellent housekeeping and facilities kept us satisfied. Despite no access to direct swimming, simulated beach shore was very appealing. Walking around the Brickell Key is definitely a plus.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank namrun14
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

Excellent hotel! Infinity pool, walking/running path around the extended area. Stone crabs are excellent when in season. Nice patio/balcony to relax and look at bridge. Deep bath tub in separate bathrooms.

• Stayed December 2012
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

Am a big fan of MOs and often stay when I can. The hotel is very nice and our suite was good. Was surprised that some of the furniture was beat up, the carpet and fabric on the couch was stained. Usually never see that at a Mandarin.

We departed the hotel after putting our bags in storage only to discover later in the day before our departure from Ft. Lauderdale that we were missing a backpack. Major panic as my son was leaving for London the next day and his laptop and other papers were in the backpack. We called twice to the hotel and gave them the locations on where to look for the backpack. Both times two separate people called back to tell us they could not find it. Out of sheer desperation I called back a third time to speak with the manager. He located it in less than five minutes. Did they even look the first two times? Thought the whole episode was very odd.

To be fair they did drive it to the airport for us and we had ten minutes to spare but got the item. Can't tell you how much stress this was on all of us. While we also have some responsibility here for not matching the bags with our claim check, you would think after spending thousands of dollars in three nights for a suite they would have found the bag sooner, or taken our request more seriously. Odd they found it immediately once we contacted the manager.

Not the way we wanted to end the stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying at Mandarin Oriental, Miami and for taking the time to write about your stay on Trip Advisor.

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and stress you experienced during your recent stay due to the missing bag left behind. I will address this issue again with our bell staff team.

I hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon and thank you for your valued feedback.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

Staff are well trained (efficient and friendly - a bit 'too much' - maybe a cultural thing - but I cannot criticize - they remember your name; guide you to the bar, elevator, spa, restaurant or wherever you need to go, rather than point & direct).

Food was very, very good (we ate twice in Cafe) - it was well executed, tasty and fairly priced.

Would consider another MO again - but what is with the WIFI gauging? I don't mind paying to have ice delivered to my room, pay for movies on the tv, pay for valet parking - but I am increasing used to getting WIFI for free (irrespective of charge of the hotel) - I consider it as essential as a pillow or a bed sheet.

PS Room wasn't available on check-in at 2pm; this was slow and miscommunicated (but I wasn't in a rush, so no problem, and was before the 3.00pm check in time).
Room appointments a little dated.

Maybe someone could enlighten me - am I unreasonable about WIFI charges in hotels?

Room Tip: the higher the better!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ElGordoVisito
Dear Valued Guest,

I am delighted to learn that over all you had an enjoyable stay at Mandarin Oriental, Miami

With regards to the Internet, some hotels do offer free Internet access, but the service offered is limited (low bandwidth, lack of security, poor signal) which we understand but would be unacceptable in a luxury hotel. The Internet is more than communications to our guests – whether they are using it to bank online, check investments, book travel, check information or their emails, we assure you that we will continue to invest in this technology to offer our guests the quality of service with the performance and security that you would expect of Mandarin. It is an important service offering that we consider of value to those that use it.

We appreciate and respect your opinion and hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back again.

& General Manager
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

Exactly what one would expect from a Mandarin - and the Miami hotel does not disappoint. From the moment we checked in until check out, we were expertly taken care of. The staff was friendly, attentive and eager to make our stay perfect. Beautifully appointed, the hotel is ideally located downtown with striking views of the Miami skyline. We had a lovely balcony room overlooking the bay. Our room was tastefully appointed with down comforters and pillows, a sprawling bathroom and an entertainment system that will make most techies quite happy.

And if you're wanting to partake of the spa services, you won't be disappointed. An 80 minute deep tissue massage was fantastic. The massage rooms were beautiful and with a wide array of services provided (facials, pedicures, manicures, massages). Truly relaxing and the perfect way to wrap up a vacation.

Definitely a fantastic hotel in a beautiful city.

Room Tip: Try and get a room overlooking Brickell Bay.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank thiad
Bland, MO
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

Having stayed several times in Hong Kong at Manadin, and was so happy, decided to try the USA Miami version. Bad choice. Here I am…. So far regretting every moment. I should have took the clue, of when I arrived and was getting my bags from trunk of limo, door man asked if I was checking in, and told him I was, but did not need any help. So he left and closed the entry door in my face. I guess no tip coming, no service. Checked in, got an “upgrade” to same room but with a different view. Then is got fun/ Entered room, and 1st thing I see is a stand alone sort of dresser, that apparently has the mini bar in it… with the top held on with 5 large, wide, long pieces of masking tape covering the doors to cabinet. I travel about 100 nights a year, mostly internationally, and have for some 30 years. This was a first. Called operator to be connected to a manager… 20 rings later… no answer. They have a “guest assistance” button that goes to the operator only it seems. Went back downstairs, and got another room, was sorry, but no offer of any compensation. As a side note… Desk drawer had very nice looking large folder in it.. says “message from management”. Nothing in it. Seems sort of fitting… implying no one home.. After no answer to 20 rings on the phone. Just fyi.
Had lunch. A salad.. asked for blue cheese dressing... they do not carry it I am told... unbelievable.

I have stayed at the property in Hong Kong several times. No comparison. Not even close.

Room Tip: go somewhere else... most any where else....
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Don M
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. Your constructive comments are very important to us.

I am sorry to learn that your stay was not up to the standards of service we strive to provide to all our guests. I will share your comments with our colleagues and reinforce training, efficiency and attention to detail as we wish for all our guests to have a memorable and enjoyable stay at the hotel.

We focus on maintaining and updating the guest room furnishings and decor while ensuring total comfort for all of our guests.

We appreicate and respect your comments and hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back again.