“Average stay in a luxurious hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mandarin Oriental, Miami

Mandarin Oriental, Miami
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 Brickell Key Drive, Miami, FL 33131-2605 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$200 Spa Credit Per Night
Ranked #4 of 119 Hotels in Miami
Dublin, Ireland
“Average stay in a luxurious hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

We recently started our honeymoon with a 4 night stay in the Miami Mandarin Oriental.
This is a top rated hotel marketing itself as a luxurious place.

The hotel is very nice, well kept, clean and elegant inside. From the spacious bright lobby to the shops and restaurants and pool area with private beach, all are definately luxurious quality. The location in brickell is definately in a nice safe elegant area of Miami.

All the staff from doormen to checkin to concierage were helpful and pleasant. The pool staff were also very helpful and friendly, particularly when a large iguana strolled by our sunbeds frightening the life out of my wife and the pool attendant was very reassuring that we were in no danger.

The room was spacious, clean and had a large bathroom (though don't forget to close the blind before hopping in the bath as there is a clear view from the balcony!). The TV worked peferctly and there was an integrated entertainment system that we could connect our iPod to.

Now, to the reasons for 'average'. Well, personally, when I stay in a luxurious hotel, I like to feel that I am getting value for money. What didn't deliver this for me in the Mandarin Oriental was the 'extras'. Wifi was not free and was about $35 a day to use. Considering the Starbucks and pubs within walking distance of the hotel all offer free Wifi, it was frustrating the hotel didn't offer this. The price of items in the mini bar were very expensive (as is frequently the case in hotels - it is almost like they don't want want people using the mini bar). There were no tea/coffee making facillities in the room. Again this felt like a rip off as you had to go to the bar to purchase tea / coffee when it is custom to have such facillities in your room.

There were also two problems in the bathroom. The shower door leaked quite badly leaving a large puddle in the bathroom after each shower. Secondly, the basin would not stay filled draining away in seconds. This made shaving both awkward and not very environmentally friendly as I had to leave the hot tap running.

Finally, not a big deal but I was asked on check in what paper I would like each morning and I never once got a newspaper delivered. I wouldn't have minded this if I hadn't been offered it initially.

All in all, a nice hotel but if you want to hit the high standards of luxurious, I think all areas need to be perfect and I did not feel like that here.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LenoLegend
MOResponse, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Miami, responded to this review, November 7, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at Mandarin Oriental, Miami and for taking the time to give us your review on Trip Advisor.

With regards to the Internet, some hotels do offer free Internet access, but the service offered is limited (low bandwidth, lack of security, pool signal) which we understand but would be unacceptable in a luxury hotel. The Internet is more than communications to our guests – whether they are using it to bank online, check investments, book travel, check information or their emails, we assure you that we will continue to invest in this technology to offer our guests the quality of service with the performance and security that you would expect of Mandarin Oriental. It is an important service offering that we consider of value to those that use it.

My apologies for the situation that occurred with the bathroom shower and sink. I will have our Engineering team check this immediately to ensure everything is functioning well.

I regret the lapse in service you encountered with our colleagues not delivering the paper you had requested during your stay.

Thank you for your feedback relating to your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Miami. We apologize your first impression of the hotel was not a memorable one but hope you will afford us another opportunity in the future with a return visit.

Area Vice President &

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

We travel quite a bit and I must say, this hotel certainly has the "IT" factor. It is stunning location on Brickell Key, Miami is unbeatable. Water surrounding this little oasis makes every view beautiful every hour of the day or night. Service was excellent from the first encounter with the valet parking to every clerk, hostess, cleaning person or food server. Staff seemed genuinely caring and attentive. The Oriental decor is so tranquil and stunning in its simplicity. Our room was also decorated minimalist, but perfect. The bed was very comfortable with superior luxurious linens and a large selection of pillows. The bathroom is almost as big as the bedroom. It is huge with a great soaking tub and a large shower for two and a generous supply of huge soft fluffy towels. Matching robes and slippers add to the relaxing options. We ate in two of the hotel restaurants which were delicious and also had great service. So why doesn't the Mandarin Oriental get a perfect score? The following items diminished the overall experience: The bathroom scale is a nice touch, but it was broken. The batteries in the TV remote were dead. The flashlight in a closet is a good idea, but it didn't function. The stereo system didn't work. The refrigerator cabinet was missing one wine glass. The sink in the bathroom is beautiful to look at, but the design of it creates a direct backsplash as soon as you turn the water on that splashes directly out of the sink and all over the place. Finally, my pet peeve is NO in room coffee. I simply must have my coffee before I face the day and it bothers me to either have to call room service or get dressed and wander out to find my first cup of java for the day. Would all the negative keep me from going to this hotel again. Never. This place just FEELS good, so I'll be back.

Room Tip: Check out the Aqua restaurant. Yummm.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying at Mandarin Oriental, Miami and for your recent review on Trip Advisor.

I sincerely apologize that the overall quality of your stay was disappointing. I will address the lapse in services you encountered due to not all items in the room working as they should have been. I regret that we did not provide the level of service expected and apologize for the deficiencies experienced. I assure you I will review your comments with the team to ensure every item in the guest room is fully operational.

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. Although, we regret that we did not fully meet your expectations on this visit, we value and respect your opinion and hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back.

Bath
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

Mandarin Miami is not up to the same standard as other hotels in the group.

Was kept awake all night by noise from the room above. Balcony was a joke, hardly enough room to stand on it & the beds were uncomfortable. Asked to change rooms & was rebuffed quite rudely.

Left after one night, will never come back.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank DanJamesBath
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience from your recent stay at Mandarin Oriental, Miami. We were saddened to learn about the inconvenience you experienced while being our guest due to the noise you encountered.

I am sorry you were disappointed with the layout of the balcony and felt our beds were not to your comfort level. I sincerely apologize in the manner you were addressed by our staff. This will be corrected immediately. We hope you will give us another opportunity and ask that you contact the Executive Office to further discuss.

General Mangaer
Mandarin Oriental, Miami
Guayaquil
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

Have stayed several times at the Mandarin, all the previous experiences were wonderful. This last one, however, I found the house keeping was not up to standard, one day there were no towels, another day there was no blankets on the bed, another they failed to clean the toilet. Apparently the floor supervisor was absent or was not doing the job.
The staff is extremely friendly and helpful, the hotel has a beautiful location and wonderful facilities.

Room Tip: Bay view rooms are great
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
MOResponse, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Miami, responded to this review, October 26, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your patronage to Mandarin Oriental, Miami and for your recent review on Trip Advisor. Your constructive comments are very important to us.

I sincerely apologize for the deficiencies in service experienced with our Housekeeping staff. I can offer no excuses for these service lapses, only my assurance that I will work very diligently to take the necessary measures to bring these up to the service levels we take pride in.

Thank you for your valued feedback. Although, we regret that we did not fully meet your expectations on this visit, we value and respect your opinion and hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

Fairfield CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

I had one night to spend in the Miami area after a frenetic week in South America. What I was looking for was a 5 star experience for a night of relaxation before flying off the next day to my next destination. I researched via TripAdvisor the other 5 star properties in the area , the Four Seasons and a few Ritz properties. I choose the Mandarin because of it’s Spa and also because I could choose a room with a balcony.
Check in was seamless and gracious, just what I expected, and I was upgraded to a King Suite. I happily accepted the upgrade and was shown the room. It was not clean. The room had not been vacuumed, large bits of pastry from someones breakfast were on the carpet, as well as large greasy handprints all over the desk. The room was more than well worn, multiple stains on the carpet, scuffs on the baseboards, stains on the couch. On the small balcony outside, was a dead sparrow. While I know it’s not the Mandarin’s fault that a bird decided to die outside on the balcony, it had obviously been there for a while – which I think highlights a lack of attention to detail. This was room 816. I was switched to room 1616- which was in much better shape, but still did have some stains on the couch. I went downstairs to Café Sambal for a light sushi lunch, which was very nice. Then I continued to the Spa, and while I had a lovely hot stone massage, and the staff was very nice, the 5 star rating for the spa baffles me. It is fine, clean, but is nothing special. Especially the “relaxation room” where you wait for your therapist had the distinct feeling of a nail salon rather than a high end spa.
Back in my room, unfortunately it was time to do some work, I open my computer to log on to the internet only to see a window pop up that informed me I would be charged to use the wireless. What?! How can any hotel in this day and age try and charge for wireless – I think it’s just a terrible rip off. I called the front desk and the person I talked to actually told me it’s normal for a 5 star resort to charge for it ! You have to be joking. I have stayed in multiple 5 star hotels this year alone and have never paid for it, and never would. I will not stay at the Fairmont chain for this very reason. I was give a code to use “ this one time” so I did not pay for it. I’m sorry, but this charge alone would probably dissuade me from staying here again. I run my own business, and need to use the internet at all times. I will pay $500 for a great room, but I’m not going to be nickel and dimed for every little thing. Not good business practice.
Onto dinner and a movie- but no movies to rent. Hmmm. There is HBO and Showtime, but I found this odd. I ordered room service and it arrived incorrectly – ( and it was a grilled cheese with fries! ). Didn’t bother to bring it to their attention, I was tired and wanted to eat. Called the in room dining to remove the table - after an hour and a half no-one had arrived to collect it. I wanted to go to sleep so I put it outside the room. Imagine my dismay when at 11:40 pm !! the ringing phone woke me up - with in room dining enquiring whether my table had been picked up!!! In what universe would it be ok to call a guest room at that time of night to ask that?
I’m glad I called the front desk to tell them not to allow any other calls thru to my room, as I received a message at 6.10 in the morning asking what time I wanted breakfast?!
Next morning upon check out- I was eventually asked how I liked my stay. I said it was ok, but there were some problems. The lady at the front desk listened to the problems and said, I’m very sorry about that. That’s it! I was looking to leave the Mandarin feeling refreshed and ready for my next trip. Instead I left feeling annoyed and tired. As the title says- not what I was hoping for! I won't be back.

Room Tip: I would ask for a higher floor
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Sinclair36
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of Mandarin Oriental, Miami on Trip Advisor. I sincerely apologize for the deficiencies in service you experienced during your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Miami. Your valued feedback is very much appreciated and we have regrouped with the team to review the correct standards of service and delivery to ensure such lapses are not encountered again.

With regards to the Internet, some hotels do offer free Internet access, but the service offered is limited (low bandwidth, lack of security, pool signal) which we understand but would be unacceptable in a luxury hotel. The Internet is more than communications to our guests – whether they are using it to bank online, check investments, book travel, check information or their emails, we assure you that we will continue to invest in this technology to offer our guests the quality of service with the performance and security that you would expect of Mandarin. It is an important service offering that we consider of value to those that use it.

The hotel is in the process of installing a complete high definition movie program to all guest rooms and suites. It will be fully installed by December.

Thank you again for your constructive comments and request that you contact the Executive Office to discuss further how we can turn around the series of events that you experienced. We apologize your first impression at the hotel was not a memorable one but hope you will afford us another opportunity in the future with a return visit.

Copenhagen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

Clean and spacious rooms, very nice bathroom (be aware that the bathroom is connected with the room. It is possible to pull down a curtain/separator). My room was overlooking the channel and Miami. There are some good facilities such as fitness center (no charge) with complementary fruits and water, two nice restaurants, pool area, bar etc.
Very helpful and attentive staff.
In walking distance to restaurants and shops, you just have to cross the bridge.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Scarsdale, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

My family and I loved this hotel's large, adjoining rooms; nice pool; good beach; excellent spa and fitness center; morning coffee in the lobby; and good shops. We loved Cafe Sambal, which had a nice balance on the menu between integrity and variety. The hotel's overall design, menus, shops etc. have more coherence than most properties do. I rate the hotel lower than I'd like, however, on account of service quality. First, the door and bell staff seem unusually aggressive about soliciting tips for even the most incidental task. More seriously, a billing issue stunned me. When I checked rates to consider the MO over another hotel, the hotel's sales rep gave me a clear quote for "both" rooms. My corporate travel agent made the booking, accepting the same quote from a different agent for "both" rooms. Even after I grudgingly paid double -- one bill for "each" room -- the front desk agent refused to acknowledge the hotel's role in the mix-up, despite agreeing that no one would have booked my rate given the availability of a lower corporate rate and other lower promotions for the weekend.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank CM10583
MOResponse, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Miami, responded to this review, October 25, 2011
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback regarding your recent stay at Mandarin Oriental, Miami. It is only through this kind of constructive comments that we can take the necessary steps to make sure that our guests have an enjoyable and seamless experience.

I regret this was not the case on your recent stay. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you encountered throughout your visit. I was most disappointed to read that our colleagues were not attentive to your needs. We can offer no excuses for these service lapses, only my assurance that I will work very diligently to correct the deficiencies you encountered.

Regarding the room rate, our understanding is the rate was confirmed upon the booking stage per room but please contact the Executive Office to research further.

Again, our apologies for the disappointing stay. We hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back and will ensure a delightful and seamless stay on your next visit to Mandarin Oriental, Miami. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I may be of assistance to you in the future.

Area Vice President &
Also consider these accommodations in or near Miami
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton - Miami/Brickell-Downtown
W Miami
W Miami
#71 of 119 in Miami
3.5 of 5 stars 42 reviews

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Miami? Share your experiences!