“A Good Hotel in Miami”

Mandarin Oriental, Miami
Ranked #5 of 124 Hotels in Miami
Reviewed April 23, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Mandarin Oriental Miami last night.

We last stayed in a Mandarin Oriental in San Francisco a few years ago and the experience has deteriorated a bit. The rooms are nice but the bathrooms are weird. There are no real places to put things around the sink. So much space, nice design but poor function.

The service was exceptional in all respects. It could not have been better.

At these prices, the Mandarin Oriental, is good but not great.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Mandarin Oriental, Miami

Reviewed April 22, 2011

Overall our stay at MO was great. The hotel is beautiful with impeccable service, however, I would like to call out 2 areas that took away from my stay being absolutely fabulous. First, with MO being a 5 star hotel it should offer guests free wi-fi, and not charge $15 per day for this service. Second, it's misleading for MO to say they have a private beach. I was expecting that we would have access to going into water, but that is not the case. In actuality, they have created the "atmosphere" of a beach complete with beautiful lounge chairs/umbrellas, relaxing music playing from speakers positioned in palm trees, all overlooking Biscayne Bay....but there is no access to the water. If you want to go IN THE WATER or be CLOSER to a real beach, then this not the place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mrfabchick
Reviewed April 21, 2011

I was looking forward to my stay at The Mandarin Oriental in Miami as I thoroughly enjoyed my stay in the Boston property last year. Unfortunately, I wouldn't even know they were the same brand without the logo on the in-room menu. The location was fair. The pool area was small and crowded. The spa itself was small and didn't include a whirlpool (although I have to say the hot stone massage was fantastic) but what bothered me the most was the poor service. Three calls to fix the TV, one call and one concierge visit to get a hair dryer (which they insisted was in the room in a hard to find spot - but I swear...not in the room) and in general, the only staff that was pleasant was the doorman who got the cab. For the price, I was shocked there was not complimentary wi-fi, and the rooms, though nicely decorated, had a very open bathroom configuration which wasn't very comfortable when sharing a room. Overall, I was very disappointed in the hotel as a whole and I would not go back. I think I was spoiled by my experience in the Boston location. That was a very different (and very pleasant) experience.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 14, 2011

I recently stayed in both South Beach and at the Mandarin Oriental. I much preferred the location of the Mandarin Oriental. The views of the downtown skyline and the ocean from my bayview room were breathtaking. There is a very nice 1.3 mile (pet friendly) walking path surrounding the hotel, which also has great views from every angle. The views from my South Beach hotel weren't even close to comparable. While South Beach may have a lively party scene, it is not a beautiful beach. I would much prefer to view the Miami skyline over the bay, which is one of the nicest skylines I've seen. There are many outstanding restaurants within a 10 minute walk of the Mandarin Oriental. I didn't once feel isolated at this hotel...I actually felt more isolated in my hotel on South Beach, which is only a ten minute drive away from the Mandarin Oriental. If you are seeking the hip, Miami party scene, perhaps South Beach is a better spot, but for a business traveller or someone wanting a more sophisticated, urban vibe, I would recommend the Mandarin Oriental.

The service at the Mandarin Oriental was also outstanding, as were the fitness facilities, the spa and the food at the restaurant.

The only negative about the hotel is that the beach and pool are both smaller than they appear on the website, so you may be a bit disappointed if your main goal in visiting Miami is to soak up the sun. Otherwise, I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 6, 2011

We selected this hotel in order to have a 5-star experiece away from the hustle of South Beach. We thorougly enjoyed our time there. The food at Cafe Sambal was excellent. It is expensive but I expected that. I did not think the prices were outrageous. For breakfast the average dish was $15, for dinner about $20. They actually had some nice bottles of wine for around $40. The other thing I liked about it was that I did not get a feeling that the folks were standing around and waiting for tips. Service was great. As for someones comment about seeing a cockroach - one can not expect them to be able to control the wildlife of south Florida if you chose to sit outside. We sat outside for every meal - there are birds and bugs but we worked with them. The only drawback I see is that there is not a real beach. I knew that going in. The "beach" is basically a basketball-court-size sandbox with nice chairs walled by the sea wall facing the bay. My 10 y.o. daughter enjoyed it and I had a nice drink. Parking is $34 a day but that is pretty much what all these hotels charge. Overall a great experience.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 3, 2011

The first thing I noticed was hair and dirt on the floor in the part of the bathroom where the toilet was and the vent fan didn't work. When I tried to relax by the pool there was a bunch
of loud and obnoxious frat boys in the pool. For some reason I thought $600.00 a night
would guarantee peace and quiet at the pool. When I went to get into the jacuzzi by the pool there was a plastic water bottle, better known as garbage, floating in it. What a turn off!
Then at the outdoor restaurant for dinner, Cafe Samba? I think it's called. A huge black
cockroach was crawling around by the wall and then right under my feet. I screamed so
loud it made a scene. My compensation from a manager that called me said "That has never happened before": translation: you made it up. Then the next part of my compensation was to tell me they would fumigate the next day: translation: we will not comp your dinner . When checking out, after telling my woes to the front desk agent,
she asked if I wanted to speak to a manager. I had a plane to catch. Apparently the front
desk staff have no authority to make monetary amends for difficulties during your stay. I did not have time to talk to a manager and what a hassle to have to repeat it all again.
never again. at least the spa was ok.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
MiamiBest, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Miami, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

We sincerely apologize for the disappointing experience that you outlined in your review on TripAdvisor. We would like to further discuss this with you so please contact our Executive Office at your earliest convenience.

Please understand that Mandarin Oriental's policy is to operate with the highest standards of conduct, with stringent hygiene systems and processes in place at all of our hotels to safeguard the health and safety of our guests. These protocols are regularly audited.

Thank you again for taking the time and I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Jorge Gonzalez

Reviewed April 2, 2011

My husband and I live in downtown Miami (Brickell area) and he booked a night at the Mandarin Oriental the night of our wedding. I am not a big fan of staying in a hotel only a few minutes from where we live because, really, why spend the money? But the Mandarin was so different and unlike any hotel I've ever been in. And the room and bathroom were HUGE! We had a balcony that faced the waterway leading out to Biscayne Bay and the view at night was gorgeous (and that's coming from a couple who has a similar view every day, since we live downtown). The hotel was quiet and breakfast was great (although I personally thought it was a little pricey). I'd definitely recommend this hotel for visitors and locals alike!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple