“Little problem with shuttle but otherwise everything fine”

Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton - Miami Airport / Blue Lagoon
Ranked #16 of 123 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersGold level
Missouri
“Little problem with shuttle but otherwise everything fine”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

The hotel was great but I had issues getting there. I got specific instructions to look for the shuttle on level 2 in Concourse E. I hadn't been to this airport before and there's lots of construction going on inside and outside. It was late and very dark. The shuttles would arrive using 3 lanes and keep driving by unless someone flagged them down. I had a lot of trouble seeing which shuttle was which because of the darkness and the fact that all you see at first are bright headlights coming at you. I waited in vain for over 40 minutes watching Hyatt, Marriott, Embassy, and other hotel vans driving by mixed in with parking shuttles and private vehicles. No Hampton.

I finally got tired of waiting and went to Level 1 to get a cab instead. That was another nightmare because unlike other airports there was no line of taxis where you simply hop into the first one. Nope. Like the hotel shuttles, they keep driving by. I finally got the attention of one and he pulled over and asked where I was going. I said the Hampton Inn and he said no, I would need another taxi. Then he drove off. What did that mean? I had no idea. I walked along the garage which was dark and kind of isolated. I was rapidly getting the impression this wasn't a traveler-friendly airport. Finally after walking a ways I found a taxi dispatcher. He could speak enough English to understand I wanted the Hampton but he said there were two - which did I want? Well, I knew it was on 57th and was near the airport and I had to state that about 3 times before he understood. Then he said I needed a blue cab. (?) He called one, I waited even longer, and finally a blue instead of yellow taxi pulled up and took me to the Hampton.

When I told the front desk I was disappointed there was no shuttle, she apologized and refunded my cab fare in cash. Which was nice - I didn't even ask for it. After that interesting experience getting from point A to point B, and spending over an hour in the process of going a few miles, I made it to my room and to bed. It was a nice room with a comfortable bed, clean bathroom, and was very quiet.

And the morning shuttle was there and waiting and 8:00 AM sharp! Getting back to the airport was no trouble. So the hotel deserves 5 stars and the shuttle deserves 2.5 stars - 0 for picking me up but 5 for taking me back. :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Fort Lauderdale, United States
Reviewed May 11, 2013

The hotel is conveniently located near the highway and is a nicely appointed hotel and has a sercured parking deck. The staff is very friendly and helpful, and it is an excellent choice for business travelers.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Curacao
Reviewed May 10, 2013

We had a group of friends staying at this hotel for one night prior to our cruise. The hotel is good for this purpose as it is across the street from some restaurants, a Publix and a Walgreens for your lastminute items.

The rooms were clean, service at the front desk was friendly and the breakfast was o.k.
For a 2.5 star restaurant this hotel is pretty good, but we found the rate per night too high for what we got. For hotels in the Blue Lagoon area with higher stars there are better rates available.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
ChristianRiofrio, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton - Miami Airport / Blue Lagoon, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear Myrouck,

We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that you found our location convenient for your needs. We're always evaluating our costs and amenities offered to ensure we're offering our guests a great value vs. price paid. Your comments let us know we should reexamine our offerings and make sure we're meeting our guests needs. Please feel free to contact me direct to assist you in any future reservation needs and I hope you choose our Hampton Inn & Suites Miami Airport - Blue Lagoon next time you visit Miami.

Kind regards,

Christian J. Riofrio
SKELMERSDALE
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Stayed here on business twice within a week while travelling in and out of Miami airport. Hotel is well located and the airport shuttle service is excellent and starts at 5am in the morning and runs every 20 minutes or so.
Room was big and kitchen had everything you could need. Pool area was nice, staff were helpful. Plenty of places close by to eat too. Would stay again if in the area.

Room Tip: Higher floor good views
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Michigan
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We stayed at this Hampton one night pre-cruise. We arrived in Miami several hours before check in time. We called for a shuttle and it arrived quite quickly. The driver was very pleasant and gave us information about the area. Unfortunately, I did not get his name but he was from Colombia. We received a nice greeting at the desk. I believe the person at the desk was named Juan. : Despite arriving early, we were given our room immediately. We asked about getting a cab in the morning to the port and he suggested the shuttle for $10 a person. He assured me we could get a 10:00 shuttle. The room was very nice. The area seems very safe. We went outside and took a walk past the lagoon with no problems. As others have said, it is very quiet despite being so close to the airport. The breakfast was nice, typical for a Hampton. The employees were very friendly. Our shuttle arrived promptly at 10:00 as promised. I would highly recommend this place and definitely would stay here again if in the Miami area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, United States
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Although this property is starting ever so slightly to show its age, whenever I am in Miami for business I never hesitate to choose to stay here. Close proximity to the airport, a caring staff, across from restaurants as well as a shopping area - it has everything a business traveller needs. And the added kindness of a staff who actually email me before AND after I stay to make sure I had a good stay -- is a nice touch which goes a long way to attract repeat business.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Tampa, FL
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Our family is staying here tonight (5/8) and have two rooms. When we arrived the room was very hot despite AC being on. Its now 11pm and both room are very hot. We've complained to the front desk who sent a repair guy up who explained that their AC systems are only designed to work when it senses movement until 9pm so it will get cooler as night goes on. Its 11pm and I'm still sweating.

The front desk lied and said they've never heard this complaint before. I reminded them that there general manager responded to a complaint about the same thing on 2/25 on TripAdvisor.com at which point all she could advise was to speak to a manager tomorrow.

Hopefully I'll stop sweating long enough to get a little sleep in my $160 a night room before checking out early tomorrow in search of another hotel.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank shauny2k3
ChristianRiofrio, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton - Miami Airport / Blue Lagoon, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Please accept our sincerest apologies for your discomfort and we appreciate that you brought this issue to our attention. Your review lets us know that we have some improvements to make and we will take further action when addressing this with our team. We'll be reaching out to you again to ensure you're taken care of and your issue is resolved.

Kind regards,