“Very disappointed in hotel, staff and area”

Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton - Miami Airport / Blue Lagoon
Ranked #11 of 128 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 15, 2008

This is the first time that I disagree with the previous trip reports- the staff was not helpful, the rooms were not amazing (the bed was creaky, towels smelled of that burnt, cheap hotel smell, easy t hear doord opening and closing, very noisy). The area was not very nice, there were ARMED guards everywhere-including the hotel and the grocery store (for a reason!). Breakfast was below sub standard, most of the items inedible, not fresh. We had booked last August. Requested a quiet room. We got to the room- keys did not work- the room was RIGHT next to the elevator. The receptionist was "put off' by having to change our room. It was quite comical to see how many people returned to the front desk because their keys were not working. The "key security" system in their elevators does not work well either. I'm certain that the other travelers we met while we were there will not be returning to this hotel. I know we won't. Finally- the one thing that the previous reviewers were correct about was the inconvenience of the shuttle system (not entirely the hotel's fault). If you arrive at MIA and try to catch a hotel shutte you will understand. Best to spend $10 and catch a cab to the hotel. No problems with the shuttle from the hotel to the airport (thank goodness! we could not wait to leave!)

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
5  Thank KEWLBEANS
miahs, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton - Miami Airport / Blue Lagoon, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2008

Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving your feedback.

We noticed that you entered information on your review that does not correspond to our hotel and that you are probably referring to another property that you might have stayed during that trip (we noticed that on 4/15/08 you wrote several reviews for many properties you visited during that trip).

The main reason we say you may be confusing us with another hotel you visited is that you refer to our security guard as armed, which is against company policy. Our unarmed security guard is provided by Wackenhut, the top security company in the Country and, despite the fact they are also one of the most expensive, we believe our guests deserve the best. The guards are friendly and trained to comply with our high standards of customer service.

The stores around us do not have armed guards either.

Other details mentioned in your comments, such as the service of the staff, smell of the rooms and quality of our beds and linen, confirm our suspicions. We have one of the highest guest service scores in our brand according to surveys responded by our guests. Several months ago we upgraded our beds to the new Cloud Nine Beds required by Hampton Inns as well as a brand new upgraded linen inventory. We also implemented the Febreze Odorless room system that provides our guests with odor free rooms to enhance their experience.

We believe your comments were directed to another property or maybe you accidentally selected our hotel when you made your selection.

Cordially,

Eduardo Chapoval, CHA

Write a ReviewReviews (3,091)

Reviewed March 24, 2008

We stayed at the Hampton Inn and Suites Miami Blue Lagoon Friday March 14th for a pre cruise stay. We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite as there were 6 of us. Hotel was great, room was very spacious and big, breakfast was very very good for a hot hotel breakfast. The shuttle was easy to spot at the airport.. didn't have to wait long for it to show up. Check in was smooth and easy, hotel staff was very nice and helpful. Pool wasn't heated and the hot tub was cold so didn't use either of those. . but it was a pretty windy day out on friday so it was alittle chilly with the wind.

Lots to do around the hotel.. a publix grocery store, liqour store, a gas station, walgreens, cvs pharmacy, burger king, wendys, subway, a chinese and italian place. . a few shops also a steak place a few blocks away that the hotel shuttle can take you too. Very pretty area, felt safe our walking. I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying pre or post cruise or even for a few days. It was very nice.

• Stayed: March 2008
4  Thank jwlnroe
Reviewed March 19, 2008

My wife and I had never been to Miami, and when I checked on TripAdvisor, let's just say the hotels in the $150-300 range go from average down to absolutely dreadful. I spent a little more to stay at this hotel, because of the great reviews, and after seeing some of the other places I had considered, boy, am I glad I did!!!

First of all, the rooms are impeccably clean, modern, and quiet. The views are not great -- we looked out at the airport, the other side of the hotel you get a worse view -- but hey, it's not South Beach, so you shouldn't expect it.

Second, there is free, gated parking -- first level is covered, second level is not. A very nice pool on the second level, which we never used.

Third, their breakfast spread was very good for this range of hotel. The review that I just saw of this hotel is obviously from someone not accustomed to anything other than a full-service hotel, but as someone who stays in many Hampton Inns, Fairfield Inns, etc., it was very good. I liked that they had a juice machine and apples and bananas available 24 hours a day (and occasionally there were cookies).

The front desk staff was incredibly helpful and friendly -- among the best I have encountered. The area around the hotel is nothing special, but it's safe and close to the airport and Coral Gables, plus close to major highways.

The choices for dining around the hotel are limited -- we ate at the Cuban restaurant in the shopping center across the street, and while the food was decent, the service was DREADFUL, and we noticed that we received MUCH, MUCH worse service than the Spanish-speaking family that entered after us. If I had it to do again, I would have eaten in the nicer-looking Italian restaurant right next door.

All in all, a great experience.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank baseballfan2008
Reviewed March 18, 2008

As a Hilton Diamond Member I see the best and the worst during my extensive business travel. The only property that I enjoyed as much in the last several years in terms of overall experience was the Conrad in Hong Kong where I spent a week at the end of February.

This was my third stay at the Hampton Miami Airport and I recommend the property to anyone seeking a friendly, well run property where the staff smile and actually address you by name. The suite was very clean and the location on the 11th floor was really quiet.

I did not stay for breakfast because the room was very crowded and I was in a hurry. I imagine the service there was on a par with the rest of the hotel.

I highly recommend that property to anyone looking for a great hotel experience,

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank fiberwave
Reviewed March 14, 2008

I think the previous reviewers were complaining because they were expecting a luxury hotel! This Hampton Inn is not a luxury property but it is in very good, newer condition, offers a speedy shuttle service to the airport and free breakfast. It also has a nice pool area and comfortable beds with nice linens (similar to a Sheraton). It is a bit on the pricey side, but so are most of the hotels around the airport, at least the decent ones! We were pleased with our stay and would recommend it to anyone. The staff were also very pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank cdntravel_lovr
Reviewed March 8, 2008

I was expecting something much better than I got when we stayed here recently having read all these reviews. Yes the staff are helpful, yes it's very well located for the cruise port & airport & yes they transfer you free from the airport. Oh & yes they give you a 'free' breakfast. BUT it's all very average. We felt that it was vastly over priced for the basic room, no bar or restaurant and dreadful breakfast - 2 choices of hot scrambled eggs wth or without bacon bits. Lots of toast, rolls & pastries, fresh fruit plus tea & coffee. All served on plastic plates with plastic knives & forks & plastic cups. YUCK
The shopping area opposite is very limited and the so called restaurants looked dodgy so we walked up the road to the Sofitel & ate there. We wished we had stayed there too.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Spotlottydog
Reviewed March 2, 2008

Hotel accommodations fit our family of 6 well. One large suite with two comfortable beds and one extremely uncomfortable pullout couch. My daughters were sloped over when I walked out in the morning and when I woke my daughters up, my 21 yr old daughter said she barely slept because her sister was ontop of her all night! I said "it's the bed!!" It was tilted. Other than that the room was fantastic. It was great having the second separate vanity area with mirror to help with four females getting ready.

The pool was very nice and the whole outside patio area was great. My daughters sat outside til 2 in the morning chit-chatting and said it was great.

The next morning people were having breakfast out ther. We chose to sit inside. Breakfast was ok, but I appreciated it. It came in very handy and was very helpul to us as we were headed off for our cruise. They have shuttle buses available, you just tell them and then pick a departure time, ie: 11:00, 11:30, 12:00, 12:30, etc.. $55.00 for 6 of us. They have a trailer on the back they pull for all the luggage! And we had alot!!

Downside? Was not thrilled with area. Not alot of choice for dinner. Italian, Chinese and Cuban. My husband and I chose Cuban place across street and my daughters chose chinese next door. Took a long time to get food, but we loved it!!!! We were thinking we made a mistake, but we left happy. Service was poor, food made up for it. Area was so-so at night. Walgreens and CVS close, and McDonalds that we ran to and got a small lunch before we left on shuttle bus...good idea!!
I thanked front desk as we were leaving on shuttle bus, THEN they thanked us.

All-in-all, place worked great for us, but I still have a hard time believing this is #1 of all places listed. What are the other places like?

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family