“Nicely renovated, very poor A/C” 3 of 5 stars

Hampton By Hilton Miami-Coconut Grove/Coral Gables
Ranked #12 of 120 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersSilver level
South Carolina
“Nicely renovated, very poor A/C”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

This is a very nicely renovated hotel in a good location in Coconut Grove. The rooms and bathrooms have been upgraded to be nicer than an average Hampton Inn. My room had a microwave and refrigerator. The staff was nice, polite and helpful. The room was very clean and the bed was comfortable. Parking was free. Breakfast was average Hampton Inn - powdered eggs, etc., nothing special or different. My main concerns were with air conditioning and room odor. Miami is a very hot, humid place in July and air conditioning is very important. When I entered the room, I immediately detected a strong moldy, mildew, musty odor. The room was quite warm and muggy. I turned on the air conditioning, which had a nice big touch screen thermostat. I set the air on minimum temp and fan on high. However, the air would only run about 2-3 minutes, and then it would stop for 10 minutes or so. I tried different settings and nothing would override this to allow me to reduce the temperature or keep the fan on. Nothing I could do through the night would allow me to reduce the temperature below 75 degrees. I looked up the thermostat and discovered it is a centrally controlled "smart" system used by hotels to cut energy costs and reduce A/C runtime. The fan can not be set to run continuously, and central settings and room sensors override what I set as a guest. Because the fan can not run, I heard more noise from doors slamming, etc. than I normally would. Only other complaint was a more limited selection of channels on the TV compared to most Hampton Inns. CNBC just displayed a DirectTV logo bouncing on the screen. Overall, a nice looking hotel, but I would not stay again if this air conditioning system is being used. Hotel was a disappointment after reading the reviews in Trip Advisor.

Room Tip: Beware of centrally controlled thermostats. Avoid top floor unless you like it hot and humid.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
Miguel V, General Manager at Hampton By Hilton Miami-Coconut Grove/Coral Gables, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Dear LakeWylie,

Thank you for your feedback regarding the friendly service our team members provide, and the amenities we provide. I apologize for the inconveniences you experience with our AC system. One of the requirements to be LEED certified is to implement an energy efficiency system, but not at the cost of affecting our customer satisfaction. I understand your frustration, having experienced what you are telling me myself in different hotels in Florida during the summer, and would like to contact you directly regarding this let down and how we can take care of you the way you deserve next time you stay with us.

Waiting to hear from you,

Miguel Velasquez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

One of good hotels nearby University of Miami and Coral Gables Shopping/Restaurant — Swimming Pool is small but very cozy to swim! Nice environment at hotel Good Breakfast they provide. Friendly staffs! They respect whenever we walk in hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear Tripadvisor member,

Thank you for your feedback. It is our continue goal to provide each and everyone of our guests with a clean room, safe and comfortable surroundings, and a friendly yet correct service. I am glad that you felt respected every time you interacted with one of our team members. Please comeback and visit us when you are in the area.

Respectfully,

Coconut Grove, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Staff working upon arrival provided the best possible service I have ever encountered. She was working also other days during my stay, and never waivered from this position. She was professional, kind and responded extremely positive knowledge, kindness to questions. A++

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear Barbara K,

Thank you so much for your awesome comments regarding the level of service you received at our hotel. I will do my very best to identify our team member, and see that she is rewarded for the great level of service she provided to you. As a General Manager I can assure you that there is nothing more satisfying than knowing we are providing a great level of service to our guests.

Comeback to see us soon!

Cordially,

Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

No micro refrigerators was a disappointment. Also need queen sized bed instead of double - too crowded for 2 adults and 2 teenagers. Clean rooms. Very nice and helpful staff; and location was good and felt safe in the area. Would stay again at this location.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
Dear Kim6901,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and offer such a nice feedback despite the disappointment of not having a microfridge, and Queen size beds in the room. We are in a two phase renovation schedule, which will allow us to have the microfridge in every room of the hotel, and upgrade our doubl/double beds to double/Queens by the end of the fall of 2014. We do offer a limited number of extra microfridges on a first come, first serve basis. Please let us know at time of reservation next time you visit us to have it ready for you in your room.
Thank you for noting the cleanliness of our hotel, the hamptonality of our team members, and the safe and comfortable surroundings, which is what we strive to provide to each and everyone of our guests.
Comeback soon!

Canton, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

The hotel is sufficient Location for tourists is just okay. Hotel staff can't provide recommendations or help for tourists. I don't recommend the stay and cruise package. You only receive two ONE way passes to the cruise terminal. You have to pay for your way back from the cruise terminal to pickup your vehicle. The transportation company that took us to the terminal was scheduled to pick us up and drive us back upon our return. The morning arrived for pick up and they didnt want to come to the terminal, telling us to get a cab. Bottom line, the hotel is fine if you have a discounted rate , the breakfast is good and the rooms are clean, just not fancy. The stay and cruise is not worth it, park at the port.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Travelers1958
Dear Travelers1958,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and for letting us know about your experience with one of our vendors we utilize to add value to our customers. I will personally share your comments with the transportation company. I will also address the issues with our agents not being able to give you recommendations for things to do in the area, so we continue to improve our customer experience. Being an upscale limited service hotel, our goal is to provide each of our guests with a clean room, comfortable and safe surroundings, and friendly yet technically correct service.

I hope you give us an opportunity to serve you the way you deserve next time you are sailing from the cruise capital of the world.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

I'm visit Miami I stay 4 days in this hotel,is clean ,breakfast was good , and very quiet place ,parking is free ,near of Coconut Grove , and 10minute away from downtown Miami .............................................................I will be back there soon

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sal C,

Thank you so much for staying with us. I am extremely glad that our cleanliness, services and location have won you as a repeat customer. I am looking forward to your next visit, please join our Hhonors program (if you have not yet) to get rewards every time you stay with us including free nights and free miles.

We love having you here!

With pleasure,

Belleair Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

What a value! With AAA discount under $100 in Miami? Throw in a really good free breakfast, great location, and good service. You can't beat that! When we told the front desk that we had a small cleanliness issue to report, it was graciously received and we were offered a Cheesecake Factory coupon. Fair enough.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
Miguel V, General Manager at Hampton By Hilton Miami-Coconut Grove/Coral Gables, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear compub,

Thank you for the amazing ratings and raving comments regarding your recent stay with us. Thank you also for allowing us to make up for our errors. We are extremely glad you found the value you were looking for and we will certainly be expecting you next time. Please contact our reservations department at reservations@hamptoninncoconutgrove, and we will be happy to assist you personally.