Hampton By Hilton Miami-Coconut Grove/Coral Gables
GreenLeadersSilver level
Jersey Shore
“good location”
Reviewed May 3, 2008

The Hampton Inn in Coral Gables is great. They offer a free happy hour on Tues, Wed & Thurs. The complimentary breakfast was also a plus. The room was neat and clean. Front desk help was excellent. they gave us a higher floor so we could have a better view (didn't even ask). Close enough to the high end shopping, etc. in Coconut Grove and also Miami and South Beach. Would stay again.

• Liked — the happy hour and complimentary breakfast
  • Disliked — was a little complicated to find.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Georgia
Reviewed April 23, 2008

My daughter had work to do in Miami and wanted to take her young son so I agreed to go along and babysit. We spent several days at this property.
We had a room with two double beds on the third floor. The room looked down on the parking lot and was the last room on the floor next to the housekeeping closet.
I was impressed by the staff at the hotel. The cleaning crew was always kind and friendly. They honored the "Do Not Disturb" sign when I posted it on the door and were quick to move their cart out of the way when the baby and I needed to get down the hall with the stroller.
The room itself was clean, but nothing spectacular--typical motel layout with a small circular table and two chairs and a long dresser with a desk and drawers. The television was a long wide screen flat panel which was nice.
There was a tub with shower and the amenities were adequate. The bathroom was clean and the water pressure was good.
The breakfast each morning was very good. They also had bags at the front desk for people on the go with a muffin, granola bar and bottle of water. The attendants in the breakfast area were very friendly and helped me since it was not easy to maneuver the stroller and get my food. They always had bagels, muffins, pastries, fruit, yogurt and cereals but the hot items alternated. One day there was Canadian bacon and another day there was sausage. The eggs were round disks that were not too appetizing but on the day they had tortillas there was an egg scramble that was quite tasty. There was coffee and juice. I found it to be a very clean area and always well-stocked. The attendants made sure that no one went without and more than once I saw them go to the back to get something at the request of a guest. They gave my grandson cookies one day that they retrieved from an area off of the kitchen.
There was a small exercise room and I saw people there using the equipment. There was a pool and a hot tub area but I did not use it. I saw a family out there one afternoon.
The hotel is not in an area that is especially pedestrian friendly. I had wanted to take a long walk with the baby in the stroller but I found that the sidewalks were not always continuous. One would travel along the front of an apartment complex for awhile and then suddenly the sidewalk would stop requiring one to push through gray sand and over gnarled roots or very close to the traffic. The hotel faces the back of a small strip shopping center. Inside that center is a Subway and a Dunkin Donuts, a pet store, and a few other businesses. There is also a Pollo Tropicale fast food place and a gas station with a bakery inside of it. There is a Burger King across a busy highway. Beside the hotel is a church with a school and on the other side of it is a place called Berries in the Grove. We ate almost all of our meals there. The food was very good. There is an interior patio so it is larger than it looks. On first glance I only thought it was a bar, but I found the food to be good and lots of families and children were there so they had high chairs and were receptive to the baby.
If you are going to be in this area it is really good to have a car as there is not much to do within reasonable walking distance with children. The pedestrian difficulties made my stay there less than wonderul, but this was no fault of the hotel property.
If you need a place on business I would think the Hampton would be ideal. The internet connectivity is free. There is no charge for parking. The hotel staff is great.
Upon arrival we were tired and the front desk staff gave us menus to four places that provided free delivery to the hotel. The first place they recommended was closed (Basil closes at 5 p.m.) so we ended up ordering from Que Pizza. I would not recommend it. They delivered a pizza that was NOT what we ordered but by that time (45 minute delivery time) we were too hungry to protest. The pizza crust was baked apart from the topping and it was hard and tough and not at all tasty. We ended up picking most of the vegetables off of the hard round disk that was the crust and the cheese was not very good either. It was by far the worst meal of our stay--go to Pollo Tropicale or to Berries!!!

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Lack of pedestrian friendly neighborhood
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank BeingGreen
Los Angeles, Ca
Reviewed March 28, 2008

This is a very nice hotel. The rooms are great and the breakfast is good. In fact all was going well right until the fire alarm started to go crazy on Sunday morning. As a fire alarm should be - it was loud and high pitched. I guess after the first half dozen my patience grew thin but after a dozen or so I did indeed have a pretty severe headache. As there seemed no end to them we decided to leave the hotel early and when we got down in the lobby I discovered we were not the only complainers. After putting our cruise bound suitcases in the rental I returned to the desk and informed the clerk that I certainly was not 100% satisfied with my stay (thumping headache - forced to leave early , etc) and asked for a full refund per hotel policy. I was informed that the best the hotel could offer was a $40 discount on a $220 bill. I refused the discount and later in the day called Hampton Inn 800 number from the cruise ship before it departed to tell my saga to a supervisor. Much to my surprise the supervisor immediately agreed with me that I should receive a 100% refund and did not agree with the hotel that the fire alarm problem could be categorized as an "act of god". She informed me that the hotel would receive notification of my complaint and would be given a three day opportunity to refund the 1 day stay and failing that I would receive the refund directly from the corporate office.
On my return from the cruise my credit card had been credited with the refund from the hotel. I guess the moral of the story is that if one does have a justified complaint about a stay at a hotel chain offering 100% guarantee don't be to fast to accept a minimal discount. If in doubt call corporate and tell them your yarn! - Please note - The hotel never once made any announcements regarding the false fire alarms which I found quite strange.

• Stayed March 2008
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed February 29, 2008

I stayed at this hotel because I wanted a budget-conscious place where I could easily get to a conference in downtown Miami (10 - 15 minutes away) and enjoy South Beach (25 minutes away).

The room was clean, the bed was very comfortable, and the place was relatively quiet (except for the little barking dog somewhere in the neighborhood). There was a flat-screen, HD TV, a decent -sized refrigerator with a separate freezer section, and microwave in the room. The hotel had free WiFi and parking. The buffet breakfast was quite extensive, with not only the usual cereal and bread products, but eggs and sausage, and fresh fruit, too. There was even a complimentary happy hour with beer and snacks!

My only complaints were that the towels weren't super soft and the water pressure in the shower on the 6th floor was lacking. I can deal with both of those for this price.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank jrfras
new york
Reviewed January 3, 2008

After having a horrendous experience at the Springhill Suites by the airport (see my review) and 5 night cruise, this hotel was a very restful stop before our trip home. Everything was hassle free -- check-in was easy, rooms were ready early, rooms were clean, the BED was heavenly!, breakfast area was sparkling clean (none of the broken toasters or tremendous lines at the springhill) and the staff were courteous & helpful, walking distance to shopping, across from pollo tropical (great for a quick bite), etc etc.... definitely enjoyed our stay!

• Liked — the bed was fantastic... no hassles, friendly helpful staff
  • Disliked — washing machines were old
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank earthwind
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed November 23, 2007

This is my fifth trip to the Miami area and my first stay at a Hampton Inn. In my previous visits to Miami I had stay at South Beach/Downtown hotels, although I have nothing to complain about the downtown Hyatt or the (now extintct) Fontainebleau Hilton, after this recent experience I do prefer the Hampton Inn.

The hotel is just next to US1, really convinient to get further south or up north, it is only a 5 minute drive to Coconut Grove.

The staff is really firendly, from your arrival at the front desk, the servers at the continental breakfast, the maids, everyone is always happy to help.

I got room 613, on the top floor, one king bed, 32" LCD TV, a mini fridge and microwave oven (that I did't use), spacious bathroom with shower (no tub), a mid size closet with in room safe (I understand that not all rooms have a safe).

The view out the window is not great, but who travels to stay in the room looking out the window.

The rate includes free self service parking, free continental breakfast, free high speed internet and free use of the busisness center, were they have two PC computers with laser printers.

There is also an outdoor pool with a jacuzzi.

What I liked most about the hotel, was the do it yourself concept. There is no bellboys or concierge, when you arrive you just get one of the carts and take your suitcases up to your room, also the free self service parking is a luxury in Miami very hard to find.

The only con of the hotel is that the airconditioning is a little bit to noisy.

If you like shopping you will find that the The Village of Merrick Park and the Shops at Sunset Place are close by as well as the Dadeland Mall and further south The Falls. The most complete mall I could say that is Aventura up north and Saw Grass Mills is one of the largest outlet malls in the US. If you like luxury shopping, don't miss Bal Harbour Shops.

• Liked — Room, self service parking, free breakfast, free busisness center
  • Disliked — Noisy airconditioning and fridge
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank cesarbm
Boston
Reviewed October 24, 2007

We loved the flat screen TV!!!! It also had cables for a portable DVD player. The breakfast was nice. The room was spacious. Overall it was a quiet place. The staff were really nice. There is also a guest laundry which was helpful after a long trip. Not on the main thoroughfare, but was a 5-10 minute walk to the transit station. There were a few fast food places in the immediate area. The hotel provided a listing and map of the local restaurants. Beware, the walk from the train station to the Dadeland Mall was long. But the mall was relly nice. Also, this is not far from the main area of Coral Gables, a short taxi ride or 20 minute walk through the neighborhood.

• Liked — flat screen TV, quiet
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed September 2007