“Bad experience”

Courtyard Miami Coconut Grove
Ranked #66 of 127 Hotels in Miami
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I stayed there for 4 nights and was really surprised by so many bad experiences : location is quite bad as it is far from everything and getting a taxi is a problem (waiting time up to 30 minutes). The elevators are completely out of their mind : you have to wait long time before getting one and when you finally have one, it decides to go up instead of going down as requested.
Breakfast is at "The Bistro" that is not more than a Starbucks coffee : 12 USD for a capuccino, a bottled orange juice and a yoghurt..... But I have to say that the staff is very nice but they really struggle to make you feel fine in this environment. Sure that I will not stay there on my next trip.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Fraparis
Thomas L, Manager at Courtyard Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry your experience was what you expected. And I do appreciate your positive feedback on the hotel staff. They are working hard to ensure your experience is a great one.

Regarding the Bistro, in fact it does offer a full range of food options for breakfast, lunch and dinner, ranging from eggs cooked to order with home fries, bacon and toast and a variety of breakfast sandwich options, to a variety of sandwiches, ribs, delicious salads and my favorites, the flatbreads. I'll share the feedback with my staff so that we all do a better job of updating our guests on their dining options at the Bistro.

Also, I understand that we are not "beach-adjacent", however, we are proud to be located in the Heart of Coconut Grove, a lovely area with may options for dining and entertainment.

I hope you do give us another chance to improve on your first experience.

Reviewed February 6, 2014

There is a small open air mall not to far from the hotel there is food and shopping. Across the street near the marina there is food and there is a nice park across the street the location is very nice. The cafe on the first floor serves nice food and a large variety. The staff was friendly and helpful. We would stay again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Thomas L, General Manager at Courtyard Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Thank you so much for your feedback. I will ensure I share it with the the staff. Here at the Courtyard Coconut Grove we strive to ensure each guest has an outstanding experience.

We hope you had a great visit and come back to visit us in the Grove soon!

Reviewed February 5, 2014

This hotel is located in a somewhat residential section of Coconut Grove. I stayed in a room on the 14th floor facing the rear of the hotel. The overall footprint of the building is small, but I did not hear one bit of noise.

I was upgraded to a double suite and the room was quite large. The bathroom, however, was not. There was one small sink with virtually not counter space. Other than that, the room was fine - I did not spend much time there.

The staff was very professional and friendly. Like many hotels in Miami, there is only valet parking and that can get expensive at $24 per day.

I chose this location because it was practically half the cost of hotels in South Beach, but still within a short drive. Also, the Coco Walk shops and restaurants are within walking distance.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for your review of the hotel. We're happy to hear you enjoyed the experience. I'll also share the feedback with my staff, as they take great pride in delivering an excellent experience and I'm happy you enjoyed your time with us.

We look forward to hosting you again!

Reviewed February 3, 2014

Nice hotel, bay view rooms are very nice. Due to the design of the hotel some rooms are quite small, ask for a larger one.

Excellent location for access to marinas and waterfront restaurants. Close to parks and a nice jogging trail. Friendly staff, especially the hardworking valet staff.

I didn't like the limited hours of the cafe. Both times I stopped by for a meal (late morning, early afternoon) the "kitchen closed" sign was out. Perhaps there is a business reason for maintaining limited kitchen hours, but then the hotel isn't " full service" during those hours.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Thomas L, General Manager at Courtyard Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Good Afternoon:

Thank you for your recent feedback. We appreciate your compliment to our staff and we agree, we're in a great location!

I have also shared your feedback regarding hours for Bistro service. We do shut down to reset for the next meal period and then in the afternoon from 1pm-5pm, however, the next time you're hear, feel free to ask at the Front Desk. Often we can get you coffee and other beverages and sometimes even whip up a food.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

Many of the Marriott Courtyards have been revamped and are really nice stays but this Courtyard experience was an absolute nightmare!!! First off, the heat/air-conditioning in my room didn't work properly and by that I mean, it didn't matter what temperature I set the thermostat to, it was about 67 degrees in my room at all times. Secondly, the TV in my room has major issues, all the HD channels would start pixilating and scrambling a few minutes into watching them. I called for service and someone came up, did a bunch of things but ultimately didn't fix either the non-stop cold air or the tv. He told me that by the time I returned from work the next day, both would be fixed ... neither were fixed. Also, there was only 1 lady working the breakfast area both days and the wait to order a simple egg sandwich was unbearable. When I checked out, I notified the desk person of he problems and she said that her manager was not there but that he'd provide me with extra points for my unpleasant stay, she took down my phone number and said he'd call. Two weeks have passed and no one has called. This finally inspired me to get on trip advisor so I can let others know of my terrible experience ... and I'm glad I did!

3  Thank sutraspartan
Thomas L, Manager at Courtyard Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Good Afternoon:

Thank you for sharing your feedback. As a hotel, we strive to ensure each guest has an outstanding experience and we didn't achieve that for you, so I apologize.

Regarding your issues, I have reviewed the engineering problems with my chief engineer so that he can address with his staff. We want you to be as comfortable as possible and to be able to enjoy all hotel amenities, so I'm sorry you experienced these ssues.

I am the manager that typically responds to guest inquiries and unfortunately didn't receive a message regarding your issues, so I apologize for the delay.

Please get in touch the next time you return to the Grove and I will personally look in to an upgrade.

Have a pleasant day.

Reviewed January 24, 2014

Not a luxury hotel, but nice accommodation. decent restaurant and bar, very handy market across the street and a 5 minute walk to the Cocowalk area of restaurants and shops. extremely friendly staff, gorgeous view from the 20th floor. nice pool with shaded private areas for us snow birds. prompt valet service for taxis, etc. Generally a really nice upmarket area to stay in. would highly recommend this place. downside, it had little tiny ants in the bathroom.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a refrigerator. get a room on a higher floor facing the water.

Good Afternoon:

Thank you for the feedback. We work hard to ensure our guests have a great experience and our staff takes pride in delivering excellent service and I'm glad they delivered for you.

I have shared your feedback regarding the issue with ants in the bathroom. South Florida can be challenging with pest control, however, we don't want any guest to experience that.

Have a pleasant day.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Stayed here with my friend on a house hunting trip. Check-in was very friendly and the quickest I have ever experienced. Elevators are slow (there are only 2 for the whole place, so if it's busy, prepare to wait). Room was fine, bed was comfy, view was not the best but this was a last minute reservation so I can't complain. The only problem was the toilet was clogged when we got there and was dangerously close to overflowing with each flush. We reported it 4 times and it NEVER got fixed. I expected more from the Courtyard.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Shochstein
Thomas L, General Manager at Courtyard Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Thank you for your feedback, I will be sure to take your comments up with our team and ensure this doesn’t happen again.
I apologize for the inconvenience this may have had during your stay.