“Smelly room and rude staff”

Courtyard Miami Coconut Grove
Ranked #63 of 127 Hotels in Miami
Reviewed November 11, 2013

We drove in from Key West. Arrived at night (Halloween). At check-in, we felt like we were an inconvenience, the reptionist was rude and did not want to answer our questions. When we asked her for directions to the grove she did it so fast and we felt so unwelcome. The room smelled really bad and you can hear people in the other rooms like if they were in your room. If they go to the toilet it sounds like the wall was falling !!! The walls were so thin, that we could hear the drops from the shower hitting the drain! Very unpleasent, when people shower at 3am.
When we complained in the morning, they told us, we souls have called the front desk, but we can't call every twenty minutes, when they are beeing noisy in the halls. The hotel clearly aren't good enough to place the partying teens in one floor and the rest on different floors. When we tried to explain this, they just sighed and looked at us, like we were stupid. We have stayed at countless hotels and have never ever been treated this way.
The only nice people were the two valets, who had the time and energy to give us directions, tips and a smile. They were the only ones, who lived up to the Marriott standard...

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KarinaLA
Thomas L, General Manager at Courtyard Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Chris - thank you for your email, this behavior is not tollerated and we'll certainly review the tapes to ensure what you heard is correct and take the appropriate action.

Thank you agai for taking the time to le us know of your guest experience.

Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

The pool area is nice. Otherwise? Our view overlooked a dumpster. The woman at check in was incredibly rude, and didn't realise I spoke Spanish; she was insulting me to the other front desk clerks a couple hours later when I walked by in spanish, and the other two girls laughed too.

Wasnt impressed, and I will never return.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chris b

Thank you for your feedback, we'll be reviewing our front desk tapes to ensure what you heard is correct and we'll take appropriate action.

I appologize for any rudeness you may have heard.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

The staff was excellent and the views were terrific. A bit of a musty smell in room - welcome to south Florida. It's an older property but the rooms are modern and well maintained. Lobby smaller than other Courtyards that I have stayed in. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank gayle g

Thank you for your feedback, with the weather changing we try to encourage our guests to close the patio doors before leaving their rooms and turn the AC back on to keep the humidty down in the rooms, we have instructed our teams to turn the AC down in-between guests to combat the issue

thansk again and hurry back!

Reviewed October 9, 2013

We stayed here on my husband's Marriott points and would not usually stay in as an expensive facility/location...but that said, it was lovely and we really enjoyed it. We had a suite on the city side with a great sitting area and balcony. A schematic identifying what areas of Miami were where would be great. The valet guys were great, check-in easy and quick and the room very clean. There was a huge walk in closet which I could not imagine needing yet a small bathroom. Maybe next remodel could address this.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank CofCMom
Thomas L, General Manager at Courtyard Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on your stay, we do have plans to address some of our smaller bathrooms this year

Reviewed September 28, 2013

This hotel's staff provided the single best example of selfless customer service I have exprienced in my 49 years. For starters, we were not even guests of the hotel, but chose to wait for our departing flight in there in my brother's room after getting in from a 4 day cruise. The hotel graciously agreed to check our bags for us so that we could see the neighborhood and get lunch until our shuttle arrived.

About 5 minutes after our arrival, I realized that I had left my briefcase in the back of the cab that brought us. None of us remembered the name of the cab company so we called the Port of Miami and the cruise line just in case it was found and returned. I had little hope of seeing it again, and figured that my iPad, Bluetooth keyboard, Bose headphones and some important business papers were gone for good.

When we informed the bell staff of the situation, they took over. They worked with us to narrow the possible cab companies based on their knowledge of the appearance of their cabs. They then made phone calls to the cab companies and Miami-Dade Police's central transportation office so that a bulletin could be put out to all companies. They took our information so that they could contact us with any news as we traveled back.

Our shuttle arrived to take us to the airport without any further word. When we told our shuttle driver of the situaion, he said, "you'll never see it again...not in this town." But as I turned my phone on after landing in Atlanta, I had a message from Miami-Dade Police that my bag had been found with the contents intact. My only regret is that we couldn't find the name of the cab driver to thank him for his honesty.

Hats off to all at the Courtyard Coconut Grove for their help. I'm a permanent fan, and will find a way to make this hotel a part of a future vacation. The room that my brother had was very nicely appointed with a great view of the bay and Key Biscayne, and I'm looking forward to the return trip. Thanks!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank hawkimatt

Thanks for your kind words, we appreciate you taking the time to let us know how your stay went

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Came for 1 night to get away. Was upgraded to a balcony marina view. The check in was great and they were so helpful and friendly. Hotel and room were beautiful and clean with a fabulous view. Great location and the suggestions of where to go to eat and walk around were great.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank thekeysfans

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate you taking the time to let us know how your stay went

Reviewed September 23, 2013

I chose this hotel due to its location. It was a couple blocks from where I had several appointments. I got a great rate and the hotel was exactly what I needed. it is in a very central location with restaurants within walking distance and is just a stone's throw from Coconut Grove. The lobby seems recently renovated and has a great show for breakfast, a little store for snacks and sundries, business centre and a seating area with TV and information screens. I was in room 515 which had a little bit of an unusual layout from what I am accustomed to but it was okay. Perhaps just a little bit tight on space but no big deal. Everything was well kept and clean. Housekeeping staff were great except for the 2nd day when the room was not serviced although I was there until the early afternoon so perhaps they saw it was occupied and didn't return later. Only other minor issue was when I returned to the hotel on Friday night at around 11:45 PM. There was a line of 4 or 5 cars waiting for valet and they only had one person. We had to wait in the car for around 10 or 15 min. for them to take it. I would definitely recommend the hotel to others and would definitely consider staying here again if I needed to be in the area.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank sbenus

Thank you for your feedback, we've adjusted our scheduels on the curb for valet to ensure we have the appropriate staffing on board.

Thanks again and we hope to see you back soon