“Nice location and very pleasant staff” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard Miami Coconut Grove

Courtyard Miami Coconut Grove
Ranked #53 of 119 Hotels in Miami
SF
“Nice location and very pleasant staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

We stayed here last year on a free night and it was perfect for that reason. We stayed here again this year as part of a long weekend and again used a free night stay. They upgraded my partner and I to a suite which was nice and large with great views from the 17th floor. It was great considering it was free. Here are my pros and cons:

Pros:
Location in the grove and easy walking distance to the main area for bars and restaurants. Across the street is a high end grocery store if you want to stock up on food and drinks.
The pool is nicely maintained and the cafe off the pool offers some ok food. Day staff are very friendly but the overnight staff are not. (after 11pm). Public areas are well maintained and nice.

Cons:
Rooms are run down and need a refurbishment. The mattress was so so and the bathroom small. The elevator was not working (one of two) and so getting up and down off the floor was painful. We were there over a weekend and no service over the weekend from the maintainence staff for elevators I guess. Door in the bathroom was peeling at the bottom and needed to be replaced. This courtyard had a great location, nice public areas and terrific day time staff but the room is just very basic and you get what you pay for. SO if you get a good rate, and know you are out except to sleep it is fine. What I did not like was the overnight staff (5am) when I came down asking for information. They were very unfriendly. We asked for a late check out as a result of status and he gave us an hour. The day before the desk agent said no problem we are wide open and just come down in the morning. We went out for the morning came back and the day staff extended our stay until 3pm. As well the overnight desk clerk did not change our key cards so we could get back into the room. So that meant another trip upstairs on a very slow elevator and a long wait to go back downstairs to have the keycard changed. Sloppy customer service by the night agent. I asked for two pool towels as we were going snorkeling (hence the need for the late checkout) and was told you cannot take towels to the beach. I said ok, went outside took two pool towels and went snorkeling. How can you have a hotel close to the water and not expect your guests to need beach towels? These were very basic medium size cheap hotel towels. Come on. Not a good customer service policy.

Room Tip: try a corner room. Good views with a Balcony. Avoid the ones with a high cement wall. Some have r...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thomas L, General Manager at Courtyard Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
I reviewed your comments regarding your recent stay with us; we do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get. I do apologize if your room did not meet your expectaton. Since your stay with us we've had the elevator reparied and the room has been updated along with new mattresses in some of our rooms. We have taken corrective action to ensure that these challenges do not occur again.
We hope to see you soon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I stayed in this hotel a couple of months ago for two nights and could not complain. The hotel has nice and spacious common areas and these are well maintained. The rooms are also sufficiently large and come with most amenities. The view was not as spectacular as expected but we did not specify to want a room on the top floors so yeah. The location of the hotel is close to most sites of interest and good shopping. The beaches are quit far away so a sort of hotel shuttle would have been nice. All in all a great stay in this hotel.

Room Tip: get a room on the top floors!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thomas L, General Manager at Courtyard Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you for your review!

I reviewed your comments regarding your recent stay with us. We do take all our comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get. Next time you stay with us please stop by and say hello, and try Crandon Beach on Key Biscayne, 3 miles south of us, it's incredible

Looking for forward to your next stay
The Hague, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

We stayed here from July 31st till Aug 5th
Location: Perfect for hop on hop off bus, which brings you to all places of interest.
Hotel: Friendly and very helpful staf. Alexis was a excelent example of that. thanks, Alexis for all your advice and commitment. Breakfast isd offered with literaly Starbucks standards.
Small note: If you want to go the the beaches from here, it takes a 25 to 30 minutes drive by taxi at the rate of 40 dollars.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
I reviewed your comments regarding your recent stay with us; we do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get. We appreciate your kind words and I'll be sure to share them with the team

We hope to see you back soon
St. Johns, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

I stay in hotels 3 nights a week for business travel. This hotel is a 1 star with a 4 star price. Ants, cable kept going in and out, mattress terrible quality, no working elevator, dirty carpets, and smell was horrendous. Many other Miami higher quality hotels at a cheaper price. Marriott should be ashamed to have this hotel in its chain.

Room Tip: Do not stay here
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Justin K
Thomas L, Manager at Courtyard Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Thank you for response, I'm sorry your stay was not as you expected, it was unfortunate that we lost power in several times with the storms causing our elevators and cooling systems to fail; although our emergency backup did work there was a little delay with the elevators and AC. We take pride in our cleanliness; our carpets are professionally cleaned and sanitized 4 times a year, our mattresses are new pillow top mattresses, with pillow top protectors, if in the future you don't like the pillow top we can remove one layer to make the mattress firmer.
Again thank you for your comments; we have taken the necessary steps with our teams to ensure all our guests enjoy a great stay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

This hotel is in a good location. You are in walking distance to the area with all the shops and restaurants. There is a Fresh Market (supermarket) across the street. Also, a couple of restaurant/bar (Monty's and Scotty's) on the water within a short walking distance.
The room was clean and bed was comfortable. I was in a suite with a beautiful bay view. No complaints here except parking. It's valet only for $29. However, you can parking on the side of the side for much less. It's $1.50 and hour and free after 2:00am. I think?

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
I reviewed your comments regarding your recent stay with us; we do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get. Thank you for your kind words, just to clarify parking is 20 plus tax and yes you can self park at 1 dollar an hour and free after midnight to 10am
Cleveland, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

I was originally really excited that Courtyard moved into the property in Coconut Grove. However, after our stay in March I won't be returning.

1) Front desk staff was not nice (not typical for a Marriott property, usually Courtyard staffs are really friendly)

2) "Bay view" is nonexistent until at least 10th floor... We were on 6 and were blocked by marina

3) We stayed with points; for number of points per night should have just stayed at Residence Inn (which is in heart of Cocowalk area). Would have gone in knowing there wasn't a view but at least gotten free breakfast out of it AND spent significantly less points per night.

4) The front desk made some comment that the higher floor rooms were reserved for paying customers, not those on points. I call BS on that because if we are using points that means we are loyal to the brand. Do not screw us because we are using points at the property.

I am a regular Marriott customer and was sorely disappointed by this property. Next time my husband and I visit Coconut Grove, we will either stay at the other Marriott properties.

Room Tip: In order to get a "bay view" you need to be well above the sixth floor. We were on 6 and i...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HappySappy
Thomas L, General Manager at Courtyard Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Thank you for your review!

I reviewed your comments regarding your recent stay with us. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get. I do apologize for not being able to get you up higher in the hotel, so your view was not obstructed of the bay. I saw that we where able to upgrade you to our bay view side, which gave you the view of the pool and marina, but we did not communicate the fact that our top floors where sold out to you correctly. I’ve spoke to our team on how we should have communicated this, as we strive to move all our reward members from a city view room to a bay view room when they’re available.

I’ve taken the corrective action to ensure in the future we communicate correctly to all our guests.

Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

This is my second Marriott review where things have gone missing....The good stuff first...the Courtyard Marriott did a good renovation. I stayed at this hotel (when it wasn't a Marriott)10+ years ago and it was scary...so, well done with what you have, Marriott. It has some rooms that have amazing views, and some rooms that look at the creepy guy in the building a stones throw away, so there's that. The pool is very, very nice, and they have a nice breakfast mini-service that has a lot of offerings. The locations could not be better. The space of the rooms vary. I have had some that were larger and some that were pretty small with very small bathrooms. It seems to be whatever the layout of the apartment was before it was a hotel. The bathrooms are clean but very low maintenance. The beds are comfy, and the air conditioner is good for me- has kind of a constant white noise sound that blocks out hall noise. Good sleeping. That being said, my brother's family and my family both stayed there over the holidays, and three pairs of expensive sunglasses went missing on the same floor, different rooms. When we spoke to management, no one knew anything and they said the people they had working there for years would never steal. That is fine, but I had given my sister glasses a mere 3 days before and they were gone along with another pair, and my Ray Bans that I have had for over 10 years disappeared too. You be the judge. Again, our property disappeared from another Marriott too, so I wonder what their policy is with staff. They seem to cover for them in the two experiences I had with stuff walking off...Bought my sister another pair of glasses...hope she doesn't take them to a Marriott. :)

Room Tip: ASK what view you are getting...ranges from amazing to amazingly creepy (shades shut the whole time...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank beth s
Thank you for your review!

I reviewed your comments regarding your recent stay with us. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get. We operate a full lost and found department, where it’s full of items like you’ve explained you lost. I would encourage you to call the hotel and speak to our lost and found department, if you haven’t already. I’ve spoke to our team on how we should have responded to your concerns, which is we do have seasoned employees, with employee entrances that are monitored 24/7.

We will review our procedures and tapes to ensure our procedures are in fact effective to prevent anything like this.

With your other comments, we are delighted to know that you enjoyed our recent total renovation of the hotel and you where able to enjoy the new amenities we have to offer. 80% of our rooms have balconies, with the majority of them overlooking the Marina, pool and Biscayne Bay, and a few if you look west of the hotel there are some resident condominiums.

Sincerely
Also consider these accommodations in or near Miami
Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove
Four Points by Sheraton Coral Gables
Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami
The Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove, Miami
Hampton By Hilton Miami-Coconut Grove/Coral Gables

Been to Courtyard Miami Coconut Grove? Share your experiences!