“Comfortable, good location, poor WiFi”

Courtyard by Marriott Miami Airport
Ranked #36 of 127 Hotels in Miami
Reviewed April 17, 2012

We stayed at the Courtyard Marriott Miami Airport South for 1 night after a very unpleasant journey from the UK (delays, and several hours being processed through the horrendous Miami airport.) We'd planned our overnight stay here to minimise travelling after arriving in Florida, and were so glad - we actually felt like our holiday had started once we arrived here, and we set off the next day already relaxed and refreshed.
The shuttle from the airport was quick and delivered us to the door. Check in was quick and painless. The room was clean and the beds very comfortable. The air conditioning was effective when the outside temperature was 88F. The shower (over the bath) had plenty of hot water. We ate in the Champion bar, which serves a range of typical US food, burgers, chicken fingers etc. The waitress was friendly but not intrusive. The swimming pool was shaded during the morning, so a little cool, but guess it warms up during the day - large enough to swim or play in. There was some traffic noise by the pool, but otherwise fairly private and a pleasant garden surrounding it.
Breakfast buffet included a small selection of fresh fruit, rather sticky pastries, yoghurt, good selection of cereals, waffles and hot food. Nothing special, but quite acceptable to the family.
The shuttle back to the airport the next day (to collect our hire car) also worked quickly and smoothly.
My only complaint is the internet connection - the wired connection in our ground floor room didn't work at all, and the Wifi was so painfully slow it was unusable - that's the only reason I can't give 5 stars.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Jerry R, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2012

jm2009,

We appreciate your review and would like to research the internet issue that you had at the hotel. If you could, please contact us at the hotel with your name so that we may retrieve the records and check the room that you occupied. We apologize for the inconvenience, and want to ensure that we resolve the problem.

Again, we thank you for staying with us!

Jerry Rice

Reviewed April 16, 2012

This Marriott was clean, comfortable and overall a nice stay. It has a good campus with 3 different hotels, easy access to major highways and transportation, including, of course, the airport.
Great workout area, nice pool, decent restaurant.

However, upon arrival, my reservation was on a corporate card with another name holder. When I went to check-in, the lady (a young lady) at the front counter informed me I could not check-in because it wasn't paid for, even though it was reserved and told me I needed to use my own credit card.
I had been informed not to use my own credit card by the company.

Assuming I would have to wait until he arrived, I went over to the lobby and waited. The lady at the front counter offered me no help, including to check on his arrival status even though I had explained the situation to her.
When the other person in our party with the exact same set of conditions arrived, she was helped and checked-in immediately.
I came to find out from someone else at the front counter that the holder of the card was already checked-in and with one simple phone call, they cleared all of this mess up and I could have been checked-in after a long, exhausting travel day instead of sitting for an hour in their lobby.
To me, that is just poor customer service. One person was totally indifferent, offering no help, the other knew exactly what to do and took care of it immediately.
I hope they fix this type of thing and that it doesn't happen to anyone else.

Room Tip: On the north side rooms, you can see the Miami stadium and downtown. It is a beautiful sunrise.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

MDD66,

Thanks for your feedback. If you could, please contact us at the hotel with your name. We would like to research who checked you and and also which of our staff members were on duty at the time so that we can do some retraining. We apologize for this service failure. Our goal is to alway meet and exceed your expectations.

Regards,

Jerry Rice

Reviewed April 11, 2012

Nice hotel, good location near the airport. But one should be aware of some drawbacks. First, when you see a gate to enter the property that harbors three hotels you would think it is a very secure place, but anyone can enter through it just getting a card in the gate. Second, on the highest floors there is almost none wi-fi connection. Third, we had a two night get the third free stay confirmed at check-in but the balance said otherwise, and the front desk lady was in a bad mood and unwillingly to make things right according to our printed reservation. To cap it all, we didn't receive a hundred dollar worth package that was delivered by USPS ( double checked with the USPS guy), due to a misunderstanding: I signed for it without checking because I had no reason to not trust the guy who handed me the deliveries I had, and no matter how hard I tried to explain and ask them to look for it, they paid no attention at all; so they still have my package there; OK, they have a security place for the three hotels altogether so it is very easy to lose something there. Good hotel, but the staff not so. So beware or you will be taken for a ride.

Room Tip: higher floors have bad internet connection
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank M Elvira S
Reviewed April 9, 2012

I was really impressed with this hotel. It is right next to the airport and like previous reviewers have said, it shares a lobby and pool with the Marriott. The lobby is chic and clean, with a lounging area with plenty of charging stations for personal devices, a printing area, and computers. Breakfast is not complimentary although there is a restaurant on site, but if you take the short walk across the pool area to the Marriott, there is a Starbucks inside of the lobby area of that hotel which to me was a huge perk.

The rooms were well appointed and clean, but the best part was the bed and pillows. So comfortable! I slept straight through the night, unique for me in a hotel while on business. The other great thing was free wifi, which I could use simultaneously on both my laptop and ipad.

The bathroom was very clean, and the shower was a true shower with a glass door and no bathtub, which I actually prefer. The Courtyard is using Paul Mitchell hair products now which was surprisingly good quality, usually I hate hotel shampoo and conditioner but I liked these enough to use them at home if I had extra.

While the last reviewer mentioned to get a pool side room, I will warn you that the flights went until about 12:30 a.m. so it could be a tad noisy occasionally, but this didn't bother me too much as there were only a few planes.

There is a gym as well which faces the pool area, which looked nice although I did not utilize it.

Overall this was a surprising gem of a hotel! I would gladly stay there again!

Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Oakchick77
Reviewed April 8, 2012

This Courtyard sits on a multi-acre campus sharing the property with a Marriott, Residence Inn and Fairfield Inn. Gated campus that felt very secure in an "iffy" neighborhood. Renovations have been done with new brand standards. Excellent property for the Miami Airport area traveler...

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 5, 2012

When approaching the Marriott complex, the Marriott, Courtyard and Residence Inn all share the same parking area and enter through the same gate.
Walking into the check-in area gives you a sigh of relief since the exterior of the properties show age. The interior of public areas and rooms have been updated and the beds are very comfortable. I was told the beds were replaced two years ago after web site stated queen but hotel reservations said double. They are queen, wish the hotel knew what were in their rooms!
The desk clerk was very attentive and got us our room keys for both rooms that were reserved. He was able to place us next to one another and even moved us to a better floor (9) and pool side to help keep airport and auto traffic noise down. Also quickly sent small refridgerators to each room.
Good complimentary coffee in large lobby. Pool area very nice. Only negative is smoking area is between pool and rear entrance. Needs more attendance since it was messy each time we passed.
Convenient in and out of lot, easy access to highways. But when exiting highway it is impossible to move vehicle to immediate left to make the turn into Marriott complex. Either make a right at light and then turn around or continue and make a legal U-turn. And use the recommended address on Marriott site for your GPS, not the LeJeune Rd address.
I used Marriott Friends & Family and received a great rate. Showers were fine in both rooms, an exhaust fan in the bath helped clear fogged mirrors.
Charges were correct on my invoice but when checking my credit card account on line, a duplicate pending charge was on hold. It was automatically removed after 5 days without my asking. This is the first time Marriott has done this to me and hopefully will not be repeated.
I didn't eat on property so cannot comment. We did go to fish restaurant across the street that advertises lobster. They were gone by the time we got there, but what we ordered was fine. Waiter felt bad about the lobster being sold out and brought large flan with spoons for each of us to share. Very nice touch. Leave your car, just walk across the street at the light. Sports bar casual atmosphere.

Room Tip: don't stay on top floor 10, ask for 9 pool side. Has more soundproofing.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 3, 2012

This was our first time in Miami. The Marriott was overall a good choice. The hotel is situated about a mile form the airport. You will need a car to get about in Miami from the hotel. The beaches and shops are about 20 minutes drive from the hotel.

The accomodation is very clean, a nice bath with over shower very comfortable beds, the TV a 40 inch flat. The decor in our room need a touch up. We had a view of the pool and the aiport from our 4th floor room.

Food is average, Breakfast all american for $14 or Buffett for $19 both include coffee, tea juice. Dinner quite expensive a steak for $38. But I guess thats the norm in Miami.

Internet access FREE in the lobby area but at a premium from your room. We just came down to the lobby to use the interent.

We found the late check out good, we stayed on till 4pm at no extra charge.

Overall, the hotel gets a good rating from me, ok for a short stay.

Carparking for $15 a day I think that was a bit steep for guests. Access to and from the hotel with your room key, just make sure to slide it the right way.

Room Tip: If you like Aircraft noise ask for Pool side if you dont go Road side..
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family