“Could have been better...”
Review of JW Marriott Miami

JW Marriott Miami
Ranked #47 of 122 Hotels in Miami
New York, New York, United States
“Could have been better...”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We stayed recently for several nights. While it was an okay stay, some things about our stay were slightly disappointed and we expected better for a JW Marriott property. The wireless in the hotel was unreliable and spotty, and we experienced several problems with the signal on the television. The maid service was lacking; the room never looked completely clean and the rollaway bed was not made properly each day. However, the front desk service was very good and they were very attentive to all problems. If you're just staying for business, this hotel may be okay - but if you're in Miami for fun, I'd explore your options.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Turkish first
Naples, Florida
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Joined my two brothers in Miami for the BCS Championship Game and stayed at the JW on Brickell for two nights. We had three rooms on the concierge/club level which were all spacious (400 sq ft) with great views (two of us had balconies), very comfortable beds and very impressive bathrooms. I suspect the bathrooms were recently renovated as they were in better condition than the rooms and equipped with rainfall shower heads and more modern fixtures. I got the feeling that this hotel once allowed smoking as i detected a hint of it...but it wasnt strong enough to affect the quality of my stay. People don't realize how smoke just lingers and it truly has no place in a room where people sleep (or eat). That said, we paid a considerably elevated rate because of the game (approximately 200$ per night/per room over regular prices) but overall it was a good stay for what we needed. The front desk staff at check in was friendly and accommodating. The maid service was excellent. The valets were great in spite of horrible taxi service because of the game and its festivities.The food offerings on the Club level (two..one in the morning/one late in the day) were actually sufficient. The food at The Terrace restaurant was excellent for lunch. The gym and pool area could use some work...it has taken on a sort of self-serve atmosphere. That said, it was not a deal breaker by any stretch. I happen to be a big fan of the downtown area. You can walk to so many great places and its not filthy the way south beach has become. Would i stay here again ? Sure...but i prefer The Epic, The Viceroy and even the Marriott Marquis just down the road...and of course The Four Seasons. But...for the money...it's very nice. I have no complaints for this trip whatsoever aside from ND getting pasted by Alabama. For the price of the tickets alone i could have gone to Europe. Oh well.....As im in Miami two to three times a month I'll be back to this hotel im sure.

Room Tip: The higher you go will enhance your views and the natural light coming into your room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Temple Hills, Maryland
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Business trip-- 4-day/ 3-night stay, found the rooms lacked space; could have been attributed to the "downtown" feel, however I was expecting a little more. The room decor was "blah", and I continued to experience plumbing problems, although the staff was most helpful in attempting to remedy the problem. Spa services were ridiculously expensive--even by "downtown" standards. In all, the service was great, the hotel was a bit of a let down, and although Marriott doesn't have anything to do with this, I was challenged with finding a cab that took credit cards. You would think being in the business district that this would not be problematic, unfortunately many cabbies refuse to convert. Oh, if you are thinking about trotting down to South Beach, it will run you roughly $30 each way--better off renting a car.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Miami, Florida
Reviewed December 28, 2012

The management at this spa is atrocious. And to top that off, the spa is VERY un-relaxing. The "waiting room" is located in the middle of the door to the pool and the gym. So, while one sits naked in a robe, kids are going by, men are jogging on treadmills, and anyone and everyone sees you in a robe. It is what I would call the opposite of relaxing. To top that off, the management is terrible and is NOT the same management as the JW Marriott hotel. I made 3 appointments for my mom, my sister, and myself. All appointments were made at the same time. When we all arrived, together and at the same time, we were told that the appointments were made an hour and a half apart from each other. Well, we could not physically stay that long nor did we want to wait 2.5 hours in the "relaxation" area. So, I asked to speak with management. The manager would not speak directly to me and instead, speaking through her employee, assured me that the person who made the appointment is very professional and didn't make a mistake. I finally was able to speak directly to the spa manager only after i asked for a refund AND to speak with her. She spoke to me in a disrespectful manner: not allowing me to finish what I was saying, raising her voice unprofessionally, and telling me to stop "yelling" at her. I then told her I was going to speak to someone above her since she cannot handle her own costumers. It wasn't until I spoke to someone directly with the hotel that the situation was dealt with. I later found out that JW Marriot does not manage their own spa, which is definitely the reason for the discrepancy. I do want to note that the non-management staff is very friendly and felt very bad. I took off time from work, waited 2.5 hours, and left very unhappy. There are better spas in the Brickell area. For example, I had a wonderful time at the Mandarin Oriental. Although a little more money, it is worth is when compared to the overpriced crap you get at the JW Marriot.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Stephanie P
Palmas, TO
Reviewed December 25, 2012

If you want to go Miami to enjoying the beach, I would not recommend this hotel. The taxi ride to get there is about $25 each way. There is a really cool bar nearby with live band and some other cool places downtown and the design district is kind of close but you will need to take a cab anyway. The hotel is okay, clean, the room looks a bit old, nobody helped me when I walked in, maybe because I was in jeans and t-shirt? Couldn't tell, but they looked friendly.
Overall is was okay. Definitely a business hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I stayed at the JW Marriott for a quick business trip and it was excellent. I got the concierge package which includes food and beverages at the 21st floor. The service was excellent and the room was clean and comfortable. The only problem I had is the towels in the bathroom are really old and bout to fall apart.

Room Tip: They don't have vie to the ocean due to the buildings in front of them, so I would suggest the v...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Javier H
Weston, Florida
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We did a one night "staycation", with our goal to be in the downtown Miami area. As it was during Art Basel week, the options were limited. The hotel was nicely appointed but sterile and too quiet. In a town that is always buzzing, there was no atmosphere here. The pool was empty and there was no staff for service. The hotel gave us a nice room on the 7th floor that had a large balcony overlooking Brickell. Very nice touch. The bed was top notch. Otherwise, I would only recommend this hotel for business travel or a quiet stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple