“stay away from the spa” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
SAVE UP TO 15%
Ranked #33 of 119 Hotels in Miami
Miami, Florida
“stay away from the spa”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

This hotel is nice, consistent with Marriott standards. But do not waste your money on the spa. I booked a 75 minute Swedish massage there last week with a massage therapist named Michelle. The room was very pretty and clean, playing nice spa music, and they use nice smelling essential oil blends. However, the massage basically consisted of the massage therapist rubbing oil on my skin for an hour, which I could have myself done at home. I asked her to apply more pressure, she replied "ok", but continued to stand there and just rub oil on my skin, no pressure, no muscle work at all. She clearly did not want to work, and I just wanted to leave at that point because I was bored.

When I went to pay, Michelle asked how the massage was. I told her that if was not what I had asked for - I didn't feel as if I had even gotten a massage at all. Her response: "Well it's a Swedish massage, so there's no pressure, and there is an automatic 20% gratuity." How's that for customer service? I paid and left because I really just wanted to get out of there and did not feel like arguing about it.

I've had plenty of great Swedish massages, so blaming her lack of effort on the Swedish massage technique was a pretty lame excuse. I left two messages for the spa manager and was told by the staff that the manager is also the owner and is rarely at the spa (which explains a lot). Finally, a week later, someone named Tatiana calls me back. She said she owns a company that manages several spas, including the one at the Marriott. I tried to explain to her what happened and that I was not happy with the service or the treatment I received. She was very defensive and had an attitude from the beginning, and told me "I know how to hire massage therapists. I manage several spas and all the therapists I hire meet my standards." She also tried to blame the crappy quality of the massage on the fact that it was a Swedish massage. I asked her why the spa still demands a 20% gratuity when someone is not happy with the service. Even after me asking that question she never made any attempt to correct the problem and clearly had no concern for customer service. Finally, after I explained to her that customers have a legal right not to pay gratuity when they are unhappy with the service, she agreed to refund my 20% gratuity. Wow.

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank Dana B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Curitiba, PR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

My mother and I we had been there for a week, and we´ve got a stay with vallet, internet and breakfest. The staff were very helpfull, polited, the rooms were clean, the building is great, the restaurants are very good and have a variety to serve al tastes and budgets. The breakfest was perfect! The vallet was very fast at most. The Wifi service could be better..almost dead. The bathroom is very good and well cleaned, bathroom amenities like soap, shampoo, cream, etc,, are great... The only detail that wasnt perfect was a noise from the toillet that never stopped, but i didnt complain, so its my fault, too. I do recommend this hotel. its better than some 5 stars I knew.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Barcelona, Spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

My friend and I went to Miami last week as we both had some time off from work. We decided to stay at the JW Marriott downtown as the rate was quite decent and that it looked quite good for what we had saw in the pictures. Check - in was efficient, Valet was quick in assisting with bags and parking our rental car. At this point everything seemed great until we got to the room.. As soon as I walked in I questioned the whole JW brand? This hotel is definitely not up to par with other JW in the world and definitely is not worthy of having it in it's name. The room was clean, Just worn out. The washroom was small but get the job done for the night we were there. Asides from the room the thing that really let me down was the service provided by the overnight staff, They could not care less, I called during two occasion to report my internet access down and they did not do anything about, not even offer an apology. Also very unprofessional at handling incoming calls at one point not even a simple"Good Evening" was given just a rude Hello.

All in all if I wanted Howard Johnson treatment I would have stayed their, I am really dissapointed that this hotel is misleading people with their name. I regret even staying the night as I only figured out the next day about the other JW property down the road (Marquis) existed.
We moved there for the second night completely different ball game!
Much better

Will I return to JW Marriott Miami? Not even if it was free!

Room Tip: Stay at the Marquis instead
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
Aruba
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights and enjoyed it. staff is really friendly, especially at the front desk. hotel is clean and beds are really comfortable. 10-15 min walk to the brickell shops/mall with a nice ambiance at night and good places to eat. would definitely stay here again. only negative is parking is $30 per day.. but it is downtown so what do you expect? internet was free! which was unexpected! so that was a nice bonus!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

This hotel is standard JW Marriott fare. Clean, great staff, extras such as: water bottles, earphones in workout room, feather bed on top of mattresses. The concierge lounge is wonderful. Nice variety for breakfast. We weren't around for evening offerings. Quiet hotel in the off season. Great rates in the off season. We had the pool to ourselves. Beautiful pool area. Went to a Marlins game, it was about a 20 minute drive at most.
Beautifully decorated hotel. Highly recommended!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Great for business travel but would not recommend for vacation. The hotel did everything perfect except for location and the rooftop pool is located in the shade of other buildings adjacent to it. The hotel is located in Miami city not Miami Beach and it takes about a 20 minute drive to get to good shopping, the beach, and Miami nightlife.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I did not know that Brickell area in Miami was so exciting. Nothing to do with the crowded, dirty and noisy atmosphere of Miami Beach.
It is time to come and visit this lovely Miami area, We spend 3 days in JW Marriott, service was excellent and the Hotel at a higher level with respect to what we expected by the price

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family