River Park Hotel & Suites Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #99 of 122 Hotels in Miami
North Arlington, New Jersey
“An fine time.”
Reviewed March 21, 2011

My wife and I spent 1 night at the River Park Hotel & Suites in the fall of 2006 solely because of the price and location to the port (for a cruise we were taking). We knew nothing about the hotel other than the "ok" star rating on Expedia. We weren't familiar with the website review sites at that time. It was an okay experience. At that time they had a buffet restaurant that was in operation and the cost and quality were fair. The roms were clean and the staff were curtious. 2 years later (this past June) were were traveling to Costa Rica that required a connecting flight in Miami. We decided to tour the city, so we decided to stay for 2 nights in Miami. We had no qualms about staying at the River Park Hotel & Suites. The staff was curtious. They assisted with arranging the tour as well as obtaining a car to drive us to the airport. It was only $30 one way, but that was the total for both of us combined, not per person as other reviewers have stated. Yes, the staff were likely of a foreign heritage, but even though we could speak Spanish, the staff never assumed we dide and spoke to us in English and spoke to other staff in front of us in English. The pool was warm and clean. The exercise equipment worked. The continental breakfast were bagels, toast, pastries, cold cereal, juice, tea, coffe, milk and some fruit. It was fine for a continental breakfast that was included in our stay. The rooms and bedding were clean. The AC was working. We had problems with the phone, but within 15 minutes of walking to the front desk, the handyman fixed the phone. Wireless internet connection was available in the lobby for free as was the use of 1 computer and printer. Yes, it would have been nicer to be able to access the internet in the room, so I used my Smartphone for that. Yes, just outside the pool there wer benches that were meant for people to rest, not drunks to congregate, but the staff called the police and the police made the undesirables go away. Yes, if we were staying in Miami for a week, we'd likely want to stay in a hotel with more amenities. However, for a stopover or a few day stay, the River Park Hotel & Suites was fine. Overall we had a nice time.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Slovak first
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed March 9, 2011

Stayed at the River Park Hotel and Suites in downtown Miami one night prior to boarding a cruise that departed from the nearby port. Chose the hotel because of the location and price, assuming based on website pictures that the hotel would be fine for the one day. I WAS WRONG.

Upon checking into the hotel they couldn't find my reservation. Okay, it happens. But the "don't give a crap" attitude of the two front desk agents was extremely rude and frustrating. Further, they proceed to speak to each other in another language in front of my fiance and I for 10 minutes while they shuffle paper around trying to find the reservation. Finally it's found, and we're given a key to the room. We're on vacation, all is forgotten, let's move on.

Then we get to the room. The rooms are a joke! All these reviews about mohagany furniture, beautiful bathrooms, etc. is a total scam. The rooms are extremely dated, with very old and beat up furniture, peeling walls, pulled up carpet, and are very poorly lit. The hotel would make a Motel 6 look like a 5-star hotel - I was completely grossed out. Again, the attitude of "it's only one night" took over and we just decided to suck it up and keep our sense of humor.

Then we get into bed to find stains on the sheets. Resorted to pulling towels off of the rack and sleeping on top of towels. 6:30am couldn't come early enough so we could get the heck out of there. Slept with one eye on the clock all night, counting the minutes.

Finally, the part that really threw me over the ledge, was getting home to find out I've been billed twice (for two seperate amounts??) for the room. So I call, ask for a manager, and a manager never seems to be on duty. I get transfered to a voicemail over and over, and everyone that answers the phone just has a "don't care" attitude. Where are you Toni? I've been told I need to speak to Toni, but I'm starting to wonder if Toni exists?

I use TripAdvisor often to get input on trips but have never written a review until now. People absolutely need to be warned to avoid. Multiple other options in the area, and I would strongly suggest you look at all of them before you decide on this hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Brian303
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed February 5, 2011

I stayed here for one weekend night as it was close to the event I was to attend, the first room they gave me smelled like smoke, when I asked for another room they said there wasn't any others and they would spray something, when I went back to the room, nothing was changed, still smelled like smoke and no spray, so I went back and complained some more and they FINALLY gave me another room which wasn't as bad smoke smelling that is. The light bulb was out in the entrance to the room. The heat and/or AC does not work, lucky that it wasn't too hot or too cold the date I stayed. No phone in room. My room was prepaid but they forced me to sign and initial 3 times for the two dollar charge for a SAFE which I told them I wouldn't use, they said everyone pays this charge. Is that legal? I hope some lawyer stays there soon. This hotel barely passes as a real hotel. They keep shoving 3-4 pizza menus under the door at night. No FLAT screen TV here, One night here was enough, the bed and furniture was I think from the 70's. Needs some serious updating.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed February 2, 2011

My wife and I arrived late at night waited 20 minutes while the desk clerk who was not friendly talked to a co worker and ignored that we were even there. As we made our way to the elevator after signing it got worse the smell of smoke and an odour disgusting. The room wasn't any better old carpets and the walls needed a good coat of paint.My wife pulled back the sheets checking for bed bugs. When checking out we were charged for a safe deposit box that we did not use when I questioned the day clerk I was informed that everybody pays whether you use it on not. My advice is check the listing they have another nine hotels in Miami listed under the name of PEGASO HOTELS

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank nightrider49
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed January 28, 2011

I got a frugal expedia plane/hotel package which inclulded this hotel. After reading the reviews on line I was waitting to get rape and pillaged on entering the establishment.

Wrong! In short I found the staff helpful, the elevator slightly slow but working.
My room was clean and I had a safe for valuables. The doors lock and the tv worked. When I needed my rent a car the valet was always quick to bring my car with smile. It helped that I always bond with hotel staff as I like to talk to them about well anything.There is wifi in the lobby and a computer you can use for free.

Yes, I did not dare go in the opaque pool water. The breakfast was not gourmet. In the exercise room only two of the machines worked. But for my medical business purposes , the price was right.

The river park is more like a hostel for budget travelers

TIP Alert
Right up the street was some very good mom and pop latino food places and brand name discount stores. If I had know earlier I would have bought the same t-shirt presents there for 90% less then say a CVS drug store

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 17, 2011

I stayed there for 7 nights in Dec 2010. On the first night, it was cold in the room and the heater did not seem to work. The next morning I asked the receptionist and she told me curtly that there was no heater facility in this hotel. Subsequently, I have to sleep in my jacket, jeans and buried in the blanket. There was also no kettle or hot drinking water facility. Only way was to get from the kitchen which closed after office hour. The breakfast was pathetic and I gave up after the first morning. When I checked out, the receptionist seemed very eager to help us call a cab to the airport. Later I learned that the cab charged EACH of the three of us USD25 for the trip that would have cost no more than USD30 (that's how much I paid when we traveled from the airport to the hotel).

The ordeal did not end here. When I got home, I learned that the hotel charged my credit card 1 extra night! Fortunately, there was a local office in my country and finally it was refunded after 3 weeks. By then, the exchange rate resulted in me paying more for nothing...

Unless you are budget conscious and don't mind being subject to great discomfort, stay away!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank ckiancho
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed January 2, 2011

My wife and I arrived for Miami’s New Years Eve party and we had booked for 2 nights at this old cruddy slum hotel. Which from the outside and lobby appears to be ok. When we arrived I was told they did not have my reservation? What? When I showed my conformation on my blackberry the broken English extremely curt and rude front desk staff said Ok we have it now? When we went to the room it no bull smelled like dirty clothes and you could not find a square foot spot on any wall that did not have dirt or a scuff mark on it in the entire room! ( = room hasn’t been painted for years) We were very upset but we could not find any other hotel on New Year ’s Eve. So we decided to stick it out. We thought celebrating New Years we would not spend much time in the dirty room. The room seemed a little warm before we left so I lowered the A/C. When we came back to the room from our night the room seemed hotter than when we left. Called the front desk and they sent a staff member (not a maintenance worker) who said that it seemed to be working and would get colder. (bull….) After a hour of discomfort and sweating I opened the window which 1 opened half way and the other about three inches and let all downtown traffic noise in. The bed was old, disgusting, with major wear and tear and you could feel and hear every spring. Knowing that our soiled clothes were cleaner than the bed or the old dirty cheapest pillows I’ve ever seen we used them for our bedding. Very early the next morning after a miserable night we checked out and wanted to cancel our next night that we booked. We were informed that we could not get our money back very rudely and blunt. Instead of blowing a blood vessel I calmly called a booking agent at trip advisor and she was very understanding and called the front desk herself and called me back promptly and advised me that whatever she said got them to credit our credit card for the next night for free. So we could not get out of there fast enough and found a room at a Hilton for $50.00 cheaper than the $250.00 we paid and slept so sound in what seemed to be heaven after such a nightmare in HELL!!! This hotel needs to be sold to someone who cares because these owners obviously do not care about up keep or guest care! I would rather sleep outdoors.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple