New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of HYATT house Miami Airport

HYATT house Miami Airport
Ranked #20 of 121 Hotels in Miami
Jerome, Idaho
“Great value, great place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Stayed here one night after a luxury cruise and didn't want to 'slum it' just to save money, so I had a friend sift through the close-to-airport hotels with free breakfast and airport shuttle. For $134, three of us were extremely comfortable. The hotel had a convenient location, large rooms, and great amenities (included) such as Internet, airport shuttle, breakfast, and light dinner. The suite had 2 flat screen TVs, a full kitchen, a full sectional sofa that made a handy bed, a safe, comfortable seating and lighting, and a DVR as well as an iPod dock, and the bathroom amenities included toothpaste. There were no luggage racks, and the flooring could have been cleaner. Both king-sized bed and sofa sleeper were comfortable and had good quality bedding. With the exception of using my name, staff met every standard I have to evaluate when mystery shopping hotels, and every staff member I encountered (housekeeping, security, groundsmen) greeted me. Didn't use the pool as we were too tired, but it was inviting and clean. The on-site barbecue and market were also welcome conveniences.

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room due to handicap. Perhaps because ground floors have more guest volume, t...
1 Thank Joni K
Sig V, General Manager at HYATT house Miami Airport, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Good afternoon Joni, and thank you very much for your comments. I am glad we met all of your expectations. Please do not hesitate to lok us up next time you visit Miami

Sig Varela

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Washington, D.C.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We stayed at the Hyatt House for two nights. The room was clean and comfortable and the staff was attentive and helpful. The breakfast left too much to be desired. Don't be fooled by the nice picture....it is nothing like that!!! It felft like they were feeding a bunch of hogs! People were grabbing seats, food, drinks. They were even filling their handbags with food to take back to their rooms or prepare their lunch later. The staff could not bring food out fast enough to feed the pack of wild animals. It was discusting!

• 3 of 5 stars
Good afternoon Saavedra 56, and thank you very much for your review. I appreciate your comments regarding your breakfast experience. I want you to know that we are already formulating a special plan on delivering an enjoyable breakfast experience for those days when we expect a large number of guests to be with us.

I am glad that you found all the other elements of your stay to your satisfaction. Feel free to reach out to me directly next time you are in Miami so I can personally welcome you backl.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

This was first time here. I loved every min of it. The room was huge very clean and the kitchen was simply amazing. The staff was very nice to me and my family. The free breakfast in the morning was good. The pool was a nice size. Overall will be back again.

Room Tip: The two bedroom suite with the full kitchen is the best
    • 5 of 5 stars
Good afternoon Tracies B, and thank you very much for your comments. Please do come back and don't forget to ask for me so I can meet you in person.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We stayed one night before heading back to Dallas from an international trip. The place was very conveniently located and clean. Airport shuttle was great. Only downside was we asked for a good deal for transportation to SoBe and the front desk arranged for someone $50 each way. We ended up taking a cab on the way back because the driver they recommended didn't answer our calls and it was only $30. But the hotel was nice enough for the layover.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
El Dorado Hills, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Stayed Nov. 6-9. The sheets appeared to be used (hair & washable spot) upon my late arrival, so I needed to strip them off and sleep on towels. Floors and carpets were too dirty for my comfort. Stainless steel refrigerator looked like an ape beat the heck out of it. In fact, all the appliances were jacked up, installed crooked & very loud. The staff were very friendly, even replacing an entire TV when mine would only get a few analog channels & no network TV. Breakfast & Evening social food was abundant & refreshed often. My only complaint would have to be the lack of cleanliness. Carpets need to be restretched throughout the hotel. No airport noise to be heard from my room. Ample, free parking. Free, Great internet signal.

• 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

As a frequent Hyatt traveler, I have seen it all: good and bad. This has probably got to be my worst Hyatt experience ever. Granted, they have not been part of the Hyatt family for very long (neither has the staff), and granted most of the staff appear to be under 25, but they are in dire need of training.

I had prepaid my reservation on Hyatt.com for a king bed. When I checked in there were two desk clerks, one helping a guy in a suit and one helping me. I really scored the wrong one. The clerk helping the suit said things like, "I see you are platinum, thanks for your business" while my guy seemed to fumble around from the beginning. Probably new, I think, so I just stand there, saying nothing, waiting. He then proceeds to tell me that they upgraded me to a suite with 2 double beds. Well, I appreciate the offer, but I am alone and really just wanted a king, be it in a suite or not.

This is where it breaks down. I pull up my reservation on my phone and show the king bed and the fact that my bed type was guaranteed. He says, " but we upgraded you - you should be grateful." I should? Well, I appreciate the thought, but I just want what I reserved and paid for (in advance). "No. We are going to upgrade you. Thats what they did."

I tried to explain that a benefit of my status with Hyatt is guaranteed bed type. He says because they upgraded me, that is what I get. And thus we started going round and round. He never said, give me a second and let me see what I can do. He just keeps arguing with me. Not acceptable.

Then he whips out a "contract" for me to sign. In the 25 Hyatts I have stayed this year (including Park Hyatt's and Regencys) I have never had to sign a contract. With a highlighter he starts ticking off areas to initial and sign. "Initial your name," he says. Why? I ask. I mean, its my name - do you suddenly think I am going to change it and/or say it isn't me? "Its the law. Its a contract." Oh really? I think to myself.

Its clear to me this guy has no clue. I muddle through this the best I can (after his partner stepped in to secure my king bed). I get the keys and off to the room. This is a pretty big property and full of long, ugly, dated hallways. I felt like it would make a good scene for a horror movie.

The room is average. I was disappointed as there are no ice machines, so I had to wait for my fridge to produce them. Perhaps they could leave that feature on. Amenities were average. The bed is not a typical Hyatt bed (or at least it did not feel as such). Not 100% cleaned - some hairs on bathroom floor (I shave my head so I KNOW that they are not mine).

4am: Alarm starts blaring at max volume. Its dark. I am half asleep. The buttons are faded so I cant figure out how to turn it off. I push buttons until it stops. 4:15am: Alarm #2 starts blaring. I unplug it.

Breakfast: I always thought Hyatt House would be better than Hyatt Place but this does not seem to be the case. I added pics of the faux-eggs cheese omelet squares and mini sausages that were served. There were no knives or forks. Several of us wandered around looking, but only spoons. At 7:45am they were out. The food was luke warm. A huge disappointment.

The hotel is a good location. Free wifi. Free Parking. Maybe if staff had some better training things would have gone another direction. Personally, I would NOT stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
5 Thank ACubsFan007
CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed here for 1 night after a cruise before catching our flight home. Even though we did arrive early in the afternoon, they did have a room available for us, which we immediately went and crashed in. There is a shopping center a couple blocks away, in walking distance, so we got some food to make ourselves some dinner and for the flight home.
The shuttle driver gave us information on the easiest way to get to South Beach if we desired, which I will definitely store that information.
We overslept in the morning, so upon calling down to the front desk about the shuttle, which had already left, he offered to call a taxi since our flight was scheduled in an hour. So we did not get to sample the breakfast.
I would definitely stay again, but for more nights. The spacious two rooms definitely make a difference over the hotel feeling. Even though it is close to the airport, the sound was not enough to bother or awaken me.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple