New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #27 of 124 Hotels in Miami
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Convenient but noisy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

I stayed here due to its proximity to the airport which reminded me why I usually don’t. The noise from the airport kept me up at night. Also, it was cold during my stay so I had to use the heat. The system set off the smoke alarm when I first turned it on. The service desk said that was normal and to open the windows for a few minutes. The bed was comfortable and water very hot. I enjoyed the heat lamp in the bathroom. The decor is dated and my housekeeping person did not vacuum the room while I was there (3 days) but the room was pretty cleaned. My room was on the 7th floor facing the airport. We too were not told about the meals but there are signs all over the place. The staff breaks down breakfast promptly at 9:30am so don’t be late.
Maybe one reason for the poor customer service is the fact that some of the staff is unhappy about the pay. One employee told us that they don’t get paid a lot and asked if we know of anyone hiring. Maybe Hilton needs to implement an employee bonus program for employees who go above and beyond. Since I only paid $120 per night, I was fine with my stay.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the airport are noisy
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank alot2say

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

I can't, for the most part, disagree with the reviews preceding mine. This hotel is an older building which faces the expressway and the airport, and backs up to a large lagoon. Across the lagoon are several apartment complexes. Our room (405) was on the lagoon side so we weren't bothered by the planes taking off.

405 is a 2 room suite with a kitchenette and living room in one room, and 2 full size beds in the bedroom. 405, the hallway, the elevator and the lobby were clean and well maintained, meaning the caulking is fresh-looking and white, no black mold spots, no cracked tiles, no chipped wood or stains on the furniture or carpet. But modern or updated, it's not.

However, having to hang in 405 while hubby worked was a peaceful, restful experience because the bedroom window looked out over the lagoon. And any issues I had with the room, the TV, or housekeeping were handled attentively and promptly by Michael at the front desk, who followed up to make sure things were right. We also enjoyed sitting outdoors on their veranda over the lagoon. And we appreciated how the shower head is mounted unusually high on the bathroom wall. We noted that the hot water in the bathroom sink is super hot (great for shaving for my hubby) while the shower water didn't get as hot - I was concerned about being scalded.

There is a nicely equipped work out room that I used, and I heard there is a pool.

The breakfast is the usual (fruit cocktail, cold cereal, not too appealing eggs and sausage, waffles you make, runny oatmeal, etc.). We didn't partake of the complimentary dinner they serve Monday through Thursday.

I too consider this hotel's rate overpriced given how dated it's interiors are. But if you do book here, make sure you get a lagoon side room to enjoy.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Highpocketsagain
Alberta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

I wanted to give this place more stars because it is part of the Hilton family, but couldn't.

We had 3 different desk clerks, none of which cracked a smile or seemed to enjoy their job and where very UNPROFESSIONAL. None of them told us about the breakfast, or evening meals/snacks or anything about the hotel, we looked it up on their website from our room. (free WIFI was nice though)

Room was a good size but really needs some sprucing up. We had a 2 bedroom suite with kitchen. Didn't use stove, but fridge and microwave where useful. Furniture was dated and marked up and coffee table was falling to pieces. Beds where comfortable but as other reviewers have said, using the toilet in the master bath was a real challenge!! We also had issues with the room being very warm not matter what the AC was set to.

Kids used the pool which was small but adequate and located right beside the lagoon. Laundry room on main floor was descent as was a small workout room and business centre.

We ventured down to breakfast on the first morning at 9:25 (closes at 9:30) to find the staff where cleaning up already and when we reached to get some food a child reached around us to grab it and then proceeded to wash his hands in the drinking water!! No parents in sight and the staff laughed at him. We didn't return to the breakfast area.

Free parking and good location to the airport are the pluses of this property, and the large suites are a bonus, but customer service goes a LONG way in earning my repeat business.

Overall they could use some customer service courses for ALL the staff we encountered because it was not your usual Hilton Family experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank LLA4
Merida, Mexico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

The staff at this place is GREAT, the location, if you are looking to be near the airport, could not be better but the property is in desperate need of A LOT of TLC. A lot!!! We have been staying there several times a year for a long time and many friends and family members have become "regulars" because of our recommendation but we think that this may have been our last stay because we just had about enough with the lack of maintenance. It seems as if no money has been invested in this property for ages. For $200 a night one can do much better that this. Shame on the owners because it could be a great place if only they cared.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank MarisolHB
Haywards Heath
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

I stayed here for a recent conference in Miami as it close to the airport and venue. I had a rental car and parking at this property, unlike most properties close to the airport, is free.

I checked in quickly and made my way to my suite on the 6th floor. The rooms are like small apartments - a lounge room with a small kitchen including a fridge freezer, a sink, cooker and coffee maker; a bathroom area; and a decent sized bedroom. The rooms are obviously designed for a longer stay.

The room was clean and comfortable, but my standard niggle of air conditioning was present. The air con was set to well over 70' and the room was like a sauna. As much as i reset the temperature to a lower one, it just reset itself to 70'+. I complained at reception the next morning but when I returned from the conference that evening, it was still like a sauna. I complained again as I went out for dinner - and when I returned it was fixed and remained stable for the rest of my stay.

The bed was comfortable and I had no other room niggles. Wifi was available in the room and was free.

The disappointment was breakfast - the selection was not great, and there were only a couple of hot options each day. It was survivable but not something I would rush back to enjoy again. The bagels were poor quality and the bread for toast almost stale - very tough. And the toaster machine was possibly the most ineffective I have encountered on my travels.

Breakfast aside, the stay was fine. I requested a late check out and the hotel was accomodating. An improved breakfast would have meant a 4/5 rating, but I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank David W
Oahu, Hawaii
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

Considering our unfortunate stay "pre cruise" in another hotel, this was a breath of fresh air! Beautiful surroundings, on a lagoon. Accommodations better than we expected! We had two bedroom suite, full kitchen, in the corner end of hotel...room 710! It overlooked pool and the lagoon from both bedrooms and was beautiful! We'll occasionally stay at the Anaheim Homewood suites when going to Disneyland, so thought we would try another location! Elevators are EXTREMELY SLOW and no air! Bathroom door in master suite bedroom doesn't close UNLESS you "lift the lid"!! Door is too wide! Hotel staff not very friendly ( older woman evening shift very grumpy) however morning staff friendly! Food was just "ok"! Anaheim location is very extensive, this location limited choices, but better than most. Again, a little overpriced ($230) possibly because I waited too long to decide. No fears for" safety" here, which we were very grateful for! Not sure we'd stay again, not because of anything in particular, but just a little sub-par. Pullout was AWFUL, but I don't know of any that are comfortable!

Room Tip: We actually had a GREAT room with EXCELLENT views of lagoon and pool! It was room 710!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Virginia Beach
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

I've stayed at the Blue Lagoon Homewood Suites four times. It's convenient to the airport. I've seen flight crews from Central and South American airlines here several times. It's pretty predictable and the staff/manager are easy to work with. They serve breakfast each morning in the lobby, and dinner Monday through Thursday evening. The food is OK but not terrific. The cops stop by and grab a bite. But it's free, and they have lite beer on tap for a couple of hours. The rooms are decent--kitchenette,stove, microwave, comfortable beds, etc. On the down side, the sofas aren't very comfortable and starting to show their wear. I think they're all hideabeds--at least everytime I've stayed here. Ask for the lagoon side--better view and the airport side can get noisy with the jet traffic.

Room Tip: Lagoon side is quieter and have a better view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business