“Interesting Hotel in good location, but Staff Need some Training”

Mayfair Hotel & Spa
Ranked #48 of 125 Hotels in Miami
Reviewed June 4, 2014

We over-nighted here in October. It is a great location for walking and exploring. Our room wasn't ready when we checked in, so we enjoyed some pizza and salad from the restaurant. Our table was in the atrium which featured interesting architecture, lots of sunshine, and a calming water feature. (see photo) Next we enjoyed some drinks by the roof top pool.(see photo) Service was not particularly friendly or informed. Our room was finally ready in the late afternoon. It was not very clean - there was actually someone else's take-out food still sitting in the microwave! Also, we had a room which featured a hottub, but we were disappointed as it was not functioning and obviously hadn't been for sometime. The room, though spacious and fairly luxuriouis, smelled musty and dank.
I then had a massage at the spa. This was very good and relaxing. After we returned from dinner out, we wanted to enjoy a swim under the stars. Although the posted pool hours indicated that it should be open, we were disappointed that the pool was closed "because the bar was doing inventory". The staff person who informed us that we had to leave, was not at all apologetic, and in fact bordered on rude.
A few other comments: the phone in our room was not functioning and the front desk staff were not friendly or helpful. The only staff people whom we interacted with who were friendly was our waiter at lunch and the spa employees. Everyone else treated us like they were doing us a favour. This left me with a bad taste in my mouth and I will not return nor would I recommend this hotel to others, although it is a good location and the physical hotel itself quite beautiful and interesting.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
MayfairMgr, Manager at Mayfair Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2014

Dear travellingsooncanada,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us about your recent stay in our property and for the feedback that you provided.
It is truly disappointing to hear that our staff was not accommodating and we will do our due diligence to make sure that our staff is trained properly to provide the service that all of our guest expect and also let me add that we are truly sorry that you felt treated in such a way.
We sincerely hope to have an opportunity to regain your confidence sometime in the future, for you to really experience the warm and welcoming feeling that we have been known for the last thirty years.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

This was our second stay at the Mayfair. My wife and I are from Miami and we originally stayed there on our wedding night. Unfortunately, we got the hotel late that night and had to leave early for our honeymoon, so we didn't get to enjoy the hotel as much as we would have liked to. Fast forward five years and we were back! The hotel had a spa deal that included our room, couples massages, and champagne to welcome us! Great value.

When we arrived we had a spa appointment in the morning, way before check-in time. The staff member graciously allowed us to check in our room early! We even got an upgrade to a parlor suite, which just so happened to be the same room we had on our wedding night! Very cool. Spa services were nice (wish they would have had a few more amenities in the changing room (i.e., brushes, shaving gear, i.e.,)) and our massages were relaxing and comfortable. We enjoyed the pool all day (very classy) and the fare served at the pool was somewhat pricey but much better than I expected! The hotel was, literally, a few steps from cocowalk (where we had a nice dinner and watched a movie) so we didn't even have to pull the car from valet.

All in all, I'm very glad we got a chance to come back and enjoy this hotel. Whether a local looking for a quick getaway or visiting Miami, I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
MayfairMgr, Manager at Mayfair Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2014

Dear epic2473,

What a great coincidence for you to get the same suite from five years ago, we are truly glad to hear that you were able to enjoy your stay in all the sense of the phrase.
Our spa is a jewel in our great property and we truly believe that it makes the stay so much better when you have a service in our great spa and once again we are proven correct.
We can not thank you for choosing our property to celebrate such a special occasion and we hope that we can have you in our property celebrating many more.

Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is about the amazing architecture and location. On this trip we did not use the restaurant or other amenities except for the pool and Valet. The pool area was fine. I agree somewhat with the other reviews in that it needs some clean up as do many historic hotels around the world. Stay at the Mayfair for the unique architecture location and ambiance. I certainly will again. But manager please provide housekeeping, valet and maintenance some training. Your valet adjusted the seats in my car both days...that is a no no

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear RealtorKevin,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us about your stay in our property and we are thrilled to hear that you were able to take in the great architecture from our Iconic property.
I will like to share with you that we will definitely have our staff retrained to avoid having small hiccups deterred the stay of one of our guest.
We sincerely hope to have you back in our property sometime in the near future enjoying all of the amenities that our Iconic property has to offer.

Reviewed June 1, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for just about a week. The hubby and I went for a business trip and stayed a few extra days for some romantic time. The hotel itself is unique in terms of the artwork and design, it feels almost exotic as though you aren’t in Miami. Aside from that plus, we also received an upgrade which meant that our room was luxurious, spacious and well equip with an awesome Jacuzzi. The breakfast was also noteworthy, tasty with super friendly staff. Didn’t get a change to have dinner but the menu sure did look delicious as well. In terms of location, the hotel is located just opposite a plaza with shopping and many eating options…also great to just hang out and have a few drinks. Will definitely return to the Mayfair… truly wonderful experience.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Dear CherGood,

We are extremely glad to read that you and your hubby were able to mix business with pleasure especially since it was done in our property. Our entire staff's goal is to make our guest feel warm and welcome and I will definitely thank the restaurant staff for achieving such a goal with you and your husband.
I would like to thank you for the kind words and we truly hope to see you in the near future in our Iconic property.

Reviewed May 31, 2014

We booked this hotel through Priceline at a 50% discount. It was a very pleasant surprise! The rooms are spacious, elegant and modern. Every room has a courtyard with a jacuzzi that you have to pay to have it filled and use it. We did not have time to do it but it would have been great. The room was very clean, the bathroom was big and had very nice toiletries -including a make up remover (big big bonus as I forgot mine!!!). The hotel is really nice and the area around it is great, walking distance to movie theater and shops. The staff is very courteous. We had a very nice breakfast in the hotel as well. My only complaint is that there was a lot of noise in the room we had near the elevator as you could hear the luggage rolling, the noise of the elevator itself, etc. -I would ask to be in one far from it-. We would definitely go back to the hotel, we would just ask to be in a different room.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear AVGW,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us about your recent visit to our property and I would like to share that we have built great relationships with our most loyal guest just in the way that you booked your trip. Our loyal guest had book through a third party and once they arrived and discovered our property they have continue to stay with us for years and we sincerely hope that's the case with you.

Reviewed May 30, 2014

Mayfair 2013 and Mayfair 2014. This hotel is one I've definitely felt comfort in. Something about their design, a kind of artsy display dabbled with a traditional expression was the initial clincher for my stay. I stayed just about 3-4 days each trip and definitely spent some of it lounging by the pool on the roof deck. I'm not the best with names but I can surely say front desk was as polite to me as my own family and one especially lovely woman who works in the restaurant. If you see her you'll know her. Yet to try the spa however for such short trips I probably spent too much time between my room, the pool and the restaurant !

Room Tip: I stayed on the third floor !
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo

Dear Shane B,

Every time we come across from a review that shares the level of comfortableness in our property we feel extremely proud and accomplished, since our goal is to make our guest feel warm and welcomed.
With that said to find out that it is a loyal guest of our property sharing those sentiments it makes it twice as rewarding and we can not thank you for your loyalty and we can not wait to have you back in our property in near future.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

We had a wedding to attend in Coconut Grove and found the Mayfair to be the closest to our venue. The elegance and charm of the hotel is evident when you enter the lobby. All rooms open on a beautiful courtyard and all have Jacuzzi tubs on the balconies. The bath rooms are large and very well appointed and my daughter who is quite tall was thrilled with the oversized bath tub. The hotel is within steps of all the "Grove" night life and as one of Miami's landmark hotels it was all I hoped it would be. I actually was a little anxious based on some of the reviews I read but am very glad we did not let them stop us from visiting this elegant hotel. Only one complaint, elevators are very hot as they are not air conditioned and they are a bit slow between floors. That being said it was a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
MayfairMgr, Manager at Mayfair Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2014

Dear mcf12345,

Reading from a guest about how much they loved the charm of our property never fails to bring a great sense of pride for our Iconic building and I can not thank you for the kind words.
We certainly take all the reviews very seriously and try to make adjustments and improvements and we are extremely happy to read that you had the sight to not let some reviews deterred your visit.
We truly hope to have the opportunity to see you back in our property sometime in the near future and we can not thank you for your kind words.