“Element Miami”

Puerto Rico
“Element Miami”
Reviewed April 22, 2012

Greetings all:

I had the opportunity to stay at the Element Westin Miami International Airport. Somewhat disappointed althought the hotel just opened its doors two months ago. I was picked up by the shuttle which was pretty quick since the hotel is only five minutes away from the airport. However, after the driver received a call from either a manager or a supervisor from the hotel who was at a local restaurant, the driver decided to deviate from its route to pick up this person placing me and others at an inconvenience. It added another 15 minutes to the route.

When I checked in, the guess service person doesn't provide information related to the hotel services unless you ask. He only ask for my credit card, ID and send me on my way. The hotel doesn't have a restaurant, bar or a lounge, so unless you carry a bag full of spoil food after a long trip, you will go to sleep hungry; especially if you get in late like me at 10:00 pm . The hotel offers shuttle service to local restaurants, but who wants to go out after a tiring long trip.

I had a studio for a room which was very nice and clean, refrigerator, microwave, stove, dish washer, plates, pots and pans, etc. Doesn't fit my needs. I also had free wireless internet which was a plus. The hotel is very clean don't get me wrong.

The hotel offers a full breakfast which is actually a continental breakfast. They add eggs and call it full breakfast. I didnt eat after observing a female touching the bread with her hands and placing it back. Not her fault because they didn't have prongs to pick up the bread, instead you had no choice but to use your hands.

Lastly, the gym like every Westin that I've stayed is average. All-In-All this hotel is great for families that are traveling and staying for a while and are willing to go grocery shopping and cooking inside the room. Not good for the daily traveler.

However, not having at least a bar to drink a beer or get something to eat after a long trip is a disappointment.

As an spg platinum I will avoid this hotel for future travels. To the hotel manager I can say to hook up with local restaurants and get menus to rooms with delivery options.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank PAPO42

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Washington, DC
Reviewed April 21, 2012

Spent a night here after a cruise and before flying out. This is a brand new hotel and it shows in the attention to small details. I felt like this hotel incorporated the suggestions of a committee of road warriors. For example: multiple power ports, HDMI, USB, A/V and audio hook-ups; large walk in shower with rainwater shower head; large bathroom with plenty of room for personal toiletries; smart and well-laid out closets with iron and ironing board hidden within; and a superb bed. The suites have a very pleasant living room with large couch and flat screen t.v.'s. Book one of these for longer stays, and use the kitchen to refrigerate or cook food you might purchase from a local grocery store. Wi-fi is free throughout the hotel. While we rented a car to get around (and the MIA car rental terminal is about 2 minutes away), the hotel offers a complementary airport shuttle. Incredibly, while the airport is on the flight line of the airport, with blackout shades and curtains drawn, the sound and lightproofing are excellent. Congratulations, Element. You are my new MIA airport hotel, and compare very favorably with the other equally endowed but significantly more expensive alternatives like the Sofitel.

Room Tip: Pool-side rooms offer a better view. Ask for an upgrade to a suite if you can. Secured parking if...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
alfreton derby uk
Reviewed April 18, 2012

Had 2 nights pre cruise and 2 nights..before we flew back to the uk ,,,,,,,,, a nice new modern hotel on its own in a industrial area no other hotels near by .. aircraft noise till about 11pm then quite till about 7am ... but no traffic noise nice and quiet .........all the staff were very nice .breakfast was just as good ........... pool was good sun on it most of the day ...if your flying from the uk and picking a rental car its only 3 right turns and 1/2 a mile or so no busy roads or freeways to the hotel same as the return 5 mins from the hotel and was checking in at the car rental .......... yes would stay again .....

Room Tip: less aircraft noise street side and floor 3 ... but a its a nice view lake side
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago
Reviewed April 13, 2012

Average not because it was al so-so, but because some parts were great and others were not.

The hotel is clearly new- so on the surface it looks very clean and crisp. The lobby has a the look of modern (northern) Europe- clean, simple lines, simple elegant colors. The rooms are well appointed, comfy bed, modern kitchenette, the good size bathroom (no bath).

As long as you didn't look to closely. But a more thoughtful look reveals less than perfect craftsmanship - tiles with grout not complete, paint drips on the carpet, messy silicone. Did that impact my stay? No. But it did tarnish the clean simple look they have tried so hard to create. In my mind, it was a hotel whose finishing touches were done at the last second and without care.

The staff was average (and I mean average). I was expecting the worst given the reviews here. But they have clearly heard the challenges and are working to correct them. I think the cleaning crew needs more training. The staff was nice, helpful, etc. I was recognized as a Starwood member. I think they have a way to go, but I wouldn't consider this a negative (as many of the other reviews had).

The van drivers were mostly great. 3 cheers for Orlando. He recommended and took us to a great restaurant (la rosa).

A huge plus is the "green" element- low flow faucets and showers, dual flush toilets, reusable things in the kitchen, environmentally friendly cleaning supplies, etc.

A huge negative is the location. Close to the airport- yes. But with the crazy construction around the airport, we got so lost getting there. Getting anywhere requires taking a van- restaurant, grocery, pharmacy, etc. We knew this going in, but when we needed to go to the airport and the van took a long time to get back (from a trip to the pharmacy), I was hyper-aware of how close and yet how far away we were from the airport.

I'd stay here again because, it is average. The price is right. While I wasn't super impressed when I looked more closely at the hotel, I know that I'll get a consistent experience, and that is huge. Next time, I'll give myself more time to get to the airport.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank AussiesMum
Ohio
Reviewed April 12, 2012

We stayed for one night to be near the airport for our early flight. The property is new and modern: very contemporary design. Great common spaces and a nice pool area. We had a fantastic room that reminded me of a small NYC apartment: kitchen, sectional sofa, king size bed, modern bathroom. Many green features such as low-flow faucets, etc. There was also breakfast: a very nice spread.

A great pick near the airport.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 11, 2012 via mobile

The service at this hotel is great! The rooms are clean and very comfortable.
We were staying for one night and catching an early flight. The front desk were very welcoming and they will shuttle you anywhere you want to go, even to publix to pick up a few things. Or out for a nice dinner.
I only gave 4 stars because it is still very new, there was no bar or alcohol on site because I don't think they have a license yet. Other than that it's perfect for catching a flight the next day.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Andy J
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed April 6, 2012

I stayed at the Element Miami for a full week in March 2012. The hotel is brand new and they were still working on the finishing touches on the property. The Element concept consists of being energy efficient, modern, and simple. This is a mid priced hotel chain that offers a kitchenette in each room, free internet, free parking, and a free breakfast in the morning.

As an SPG platinum member I was upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite which was great perk and gave me more than enough room to feel comfortable for the week. Everything worked great in my room and I very much enjoyed the breakfast selection each morning. I also thought the fitness center was very well equipped.

The hotel is located directly in the path of one of the runways with planes continuously flying overhead. The amount of noise in my suite was minimal, but could still be heard. The staff was obviously very new and still learning on the job as any 'out of the ordinary' request seemed to stump them. I also tried calling down to the front desk on a couple occasions only to have my call go unanswered. My biggest complaint would be the excessive number of false fire alarms that woke me up throughout the week. I was jolted out of bed 4 different times by fire alarms (including one at 4am). I can forgive 1 fire alarm, but 4 in one week tells me there is a problem with the alarm system. The neighborhood surrounding the hotel is frightening and you would never want to walk out of the gated area. There is a shuttle van that will take you to the airport or to a nearby restaurant, but without a car you will feel very trapped. I would reccomend this hotel if you can get a great rate and are looking for a quick place to crash. There are many hotel choices near the Miami airport, so this property will really need to step it up if they wish to attract return customers.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business