The Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove, Miami
Kimpton
$132
$118
  • Restaurant
Crowne Plaza Miami Airport(Miami)(Great Value!)
$90
$153
$144
HolidayInn.com
$121
$109
Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay(Miami)(Great Value!)
$199
$152
Marriott Hotels
  • Restaurant
Regency Hotel Miami(Miami)(Great Value!)
$91
$119
$105
Priceline
  • Pool
All reviewscoconut grovemarble bathroomsouth beachquiet areaturn down servicekey biscaynelobby barrestaurants and shopshotel is beautifulrooms are nicecoral gablesfour seasonsvalet parkingbiscayne bayrcgeovannyruddy
Reviewed June 17, 2009

We checked in a few hours early and our room was ready. The front desk was great and made us feel welcome. Room was clean. Bathroom was roomy. Tub was separate. Bathroom had plenty of towels and amenities.
Shower was had lots of hot water and robes were large and comfortable.
I'd probably get a bigger room next time with 2 kids along. The double beds were a little too small to stretch out but they were comfortable.

We walked to Cocowalk its only a few blocks away. Had dinner and a movie. It was raining when we got out so we took a short cab ride from Cocowalk to the hotel. It was only a $4 fare.
Room had a nice TV and a balcony that had a view of the city.
Next morning we took the kids to the pool. It wasn't heating like they claimed but the kids liked it. Sun didn't hit the pool area until 10:30-11am. We had some good drinks from the pool bar and the bartender gave us some paddles to play ping-pong. They also brought out floats and noodles for the kids. We came back to the hotel after a trip to the ballpark that isn't too far away on the toll roads. We got late night meal from room service and the food was good. Had a wrap, caesar salad and cheesecake. The cheesecake was excellent. We almost stayed an extra day because we like the place so much. Check out was good and the valet staff was very nice and helpful. They gave us water to take on the trip out of town. I will stay here again and recommend this hotel to others. Worth the money.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 7, 2009

This hotel was fantastic. The service was incredible, the rooms were spotless (with turn down service twice daily). The view from the balcony was great, The front desk personnel was very friendly and willing to assist with any request. This is not South Beach, but there is access to some great high-end chain restaurants blocks away at Coco Walk and access to major roads leading to the beaches. If you want a clean, elegant, high-end experience without the bad attitudes that South Beach has to offer, this hotel is for you.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cracerx25
Reviewed May 23, 2009

Having disliked the Impala, South Beach last year (see review), I stumbled upon this excellent alternative which, for anyone who wants Miami sans tackiness, is a great choice. Booked on the R-C website with a "reconnect" package which gives you a $200 credit to offset against the "extras"; the room was $300+ for the first night dropping to $200 for the subsequent three - tax extra.

As a Viajero Global who has just turned 50, I've grown out of the full-on South Beach experience - in addition to which, THE thing seems to be conversion of hotel bars into night clubs which renders the hotel stay for anyone not participating in the party scene horrible. Fortunately, the R-C CG treats its guests as adults and the whole experience is one of friendly (but not over-friendly) attention to detail.

My 4-night stay could have been designed as the perfect "test":
> After putting my clothes in the closet, I found a sticky mess on the shelf which had soiled a shirt; in a matter of minutes, housekeeping sent a guy and a girl to clean it.
> They said I should leave the shirt to be laundered the following day which I did but past the cut-off time for same-day delivery; nevertheless, the charming lady who picked it up asked me whether I would like it delivered the same day.
> I was initially allocated room 817 which has a door to an adjoining room; as I discovered on the second day, this means you hear absolutely everything from the guests next door so I asked if I could change. This was no problem and I was allocated 720 which was bigger (with no connecting door) but without access to an external free WiFi available from 817. The laundered shirt was duly delivered the same day to 720.
> The cost for the laundered shirt appeared on the bill but was removed immediately I pointed it out.
> The $200 credit was NOT fully applied to the bill on checkout (the guy at the desk said they had complained about the systems glitch) but was deducted straightaway.

Other observations:
> The large pool is lovely and peaceful: receives the sun after 11.30am at this time of year.
> I found service superb throughout the property: as others have mentioned, it's amazing they remember your name without it seeming fake; if you hablar español, the housekeeping staff are incredibly friendly.
> As a "solo traveller", I didn't feel out of place since a) the average age of the guests is older and b) it's used by people on business which gives it less of a suffocating "straight couples only" atmosphere.
> You definitely need a car (Coconut Grove is nice but you'll definitely want to go to the malls or other areas of Miami): hiring from Avis at MIA took 45 minutes so I'll try Hertz next time. Valet parking is $30 per night but very efficient.

One of my all-time favourite hotels is the Sukhothai, Bangkok and the R-C, CG provides a similar metropolitan hotel experience and will be my base for future trips.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
6  Thank El_Viajero_Global
Reviewed May 12, 2009

This is the third Ritz in the last year that I've stayed at. Both the ones in Sarasota and Grand Cayman were MUCH better....no comparison. First of all, there is NOTHING to do in Coconut Grove. There were no interesting shops or any nice stores. If you must be in this area, I would try to find a nice hotel in the South Beach area, about 20 minutes south. As for this Hotel, the Housekeeping department is a complete disaster. They have no clue how to prepare, clean, or maintain a room! When I checked in, almost everything was missing....from toiletries to towels to the crib we requested for my newborn. They "forgot" to do the turn down service 3 of the 4 nights we were there. When they did clean the room, it was still dirty! The toilets had brown streaks, the sheets had stains, and the corners of the room had little dustballs as if it hadn't been vacuumed in weeks. Whenever I would complain, the manager said we are looking into it and we would get back to you! Of course, I never heard a thing back. I couldn't believe it. I thought staying at a Ritz Carlton meant amazing service and all the perks you don't get at a lower hotel chain. I will never return here and pray that you don't make the same mistake. Oh, by the way, worst massage I ever had at their spa and the pool area is really not nice with once again, terrible service.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank vacances
Reviewed May 2, 2009

After a last minute change in plans, our trip to Key West had to be aborted and we ended up heading back to the Miami area. With no advance planning, we aimed for the nearest available Ritz and found our way to Coconut Grove. We've stayed at a number of the different Ritz locations and were very happy with what we found when we arrived.

This is one of the smaller Ritz hotels. It is down right tiny compared to its bigger sister resort on Key Biscayne. But the smaller size results in a much friendlier and personal experience. We were looking for a quiet and luxurious stay and that's exactly what we got. The room was very nice with a beautiful balcony view of the Bay with Key Biscayne in the distance. By comparison to other Ritz hotels, the room is slightly smaller, but every bit as comfortable and clean.

We arrived late afternoon and were happy to find 24 hour room service. As usual, the room service food was delivered promptly and it was a delicious meal on the balcony enjoying the sun and the breeze with a great view. Breakfast room service was equally good. Did not have a chance to visit the restaurant, but we were told that it was excellant as well.

The pool area is quite nice and very quiet. We enjoyed the pool bar and the chance to sit outside in the sun and enjoy a late afternoon cocktail. During our visit, the young man at the bar was very friendly, but not very experienced on preparing drinks. (Didn't know what a Rum Punch was, we made some quick changes on our choices and got him thru the items he wasn't familiar with.

The staff was very helpful to a person. The staff at the front desk was quick to recommend where to go for meals outside the hotel as well as how to get there. There wasn't a request that they didn't immediately respond to quickly and with a smile.

Coconut Grove was very quiet and very disappointing. The descriptions we read before we arrived made it sound like a charming shopping area full of interesting boutiques. Sadly, didn't find that to be the case. Instead, found very boring shops with lots of empty and closed locations. Don't know if this is all a result of the bad economy, but nothing worth seeing. Downtown Coral Gables (Miracle Mile) also turned out to be disappointing compared to the descriptions.

Bottom line - excellent hotel that should not disappoint.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple