The Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove, Miami
The Mutiny Hotel(Miami)
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Shamrock Coral Gables(Coral Gables)
  • Pool
All reviewscoconut grovemarble bathroomsouth beachquiet areaturn down servicekey biscaynelobby barrestaurants and shopshotel is beautifulrooms are nicecoral gablesfour seasonsvalet parkingbiscayne bayrcgeovannyruddy
Reviewed May 12, 2009

This is the third Ritz in the last year that I've stayed at. Both the ones in Sarasota and Grand Cayman were MUCH better....no comparison. First of all, there is NOTHING to do in Coconut Grove. There were no interesting shops or any nice stores. If you must be in this area, I would try to find a nice hotel in the South Beach area, about 20 minutes south. As for this Hotel, the Housekeeping department is a complete disaster. They have no clue how to prepare, clean, or maintain a room! When I checked in, almost everything was missing....from toiletries to towels to the crib we requested for my newborn. They "forgot" to do the turn down service 3 of the 4 nights we were there. When they did clean the room, it was still dirty! The toilets had brown streaks, the sheets had stains, and the corners of the room had little dustballs as if it hadn't been vacuumed in weeks. Whenever I would complain, the manager said we are looking into it and we would get back to you! Of course, I never heard a thing back. I couldn't believe it. I thought staying at a Ritz Carlton meant amazing service and all the perks you don't get at a lower hotel chain. I will never return here and pray that you don't make the same mistake. Oh, by the way, worst massage I ever had at their spa and the pool area is really not nice with once again, terrible service.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank vacances
Reviewed May 2, 2009

After a last minute change in plans, our trip to Key West had to be aborted and we ended up heading back to the Miami area. With no advance planning, we aimed for the nearest available Ritz and found our way to Coconut Grove. We've stayed at a number of the different Ritz locations and were very happy with what we found when we arrived.

This is one of the smaller Ritz hotels. It is down right tiny compared to its bigger sister resort on Key Biscayne. But the smaller size results in a much friendlier and personal experience. We were looking for a quiet and luxurious stay and that's exactly what we got. The room was very nice with a beautiful balcony view of the Bay with Key Biscayne in the distance. By comparison to other Ritz hotels, the room is slightly smaller, but every bit as comfortable and clean.

We arrived late afternoon and were happy to find 24 hour room service. As usual, the room service food was delivered promptly and it was a delicious meal on the balcony enjoying the sun and the breeze with a great view. Breakfast room service was equally good. Did not have a chance to visit the restaurant, but we were told that it was excellant as well.

The pool area is quite nice and very quiet. We enjoyed the pool bar and the chance to sit outside in the sun and enjoy a late afternoon cocktail. During our visit, the young man at the bar was very friendly, but not very experienced on preparing drinks. (Didn't know what a Rum Punch was, we made some quick changes on our choices and got him thru the items he wasn't familiar with.

The staff was very helpful to a person. The staff at the front desk was quick to recommend where to go for meals outside the hotel as well as how to get there. There wasn't a request that they didn't immediately respond to quickly and with a smile.

Coconut Grove was very quiet and very disappointing. The descriptions we read before we arrived made it sound like a charming shopping area full of interesting boutiques. Sadly, didn't find that to be the case. Instead, found very boring shops with lots of empty and closed locations. Don't know if this is all a result of the bad economy, but nothing worth seeing. Downtown Coral Gables (Miracle Mile) also turned out to be disappointing compared to the descriptions.

Bottom line - excellent hotel that should not disappoint.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sjordan14
Reviewed April 9, 2009

I flew into Miami for a long weekend to visit some friends that live in Coconut Grove. They recommended that I stay at the Ritz-Carlton, which was walking distance to their house. To my surprise they offered the government rate!! The hotel was very clean and you could tell they just completed a renovation….the rooms were very new! The service was really great. I had asked the front desk staff for some non-perfumed soap, as I am allergic to perfumed soap, and they went out of their way and ran to CVS to purchase the soap. That wouldn’t happen at a Marriott, Hyatt, or any other 4-Star Hotel. You could tell they cared. Next time I’m in town, I will definitely stay at the Ritz again, especially since they are now affordable.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jhutch1984
Reviewed March 28, 2009

We had a 24-hour stay at the Ritz Carlton Coconut Grove on Valentines Day 2009 after a trip to Caribbean. It was a nice hotel---good lobby, nice pool (not quite a resort pool, but nicer pool than typical for city hotel), good room with excellent bathroom, nice balcony. Service was excellent. Accommodated very early check-in nicely. Asked an employee where the pool was and he spent 5 minutes walking with us until we got there. Food at pool bar was good as was dinner at Vizcaya. Note: This is partly a hotel and partly a RC residence. At the pool it was mostly residents who knew each other that lived in residential tower. Not a bad thing--just different. I wasn't just crazy about Coconut Grove but thats an issue of personal preference. I do prefer South Beach. It was a very good hotel overall, but I only give it 4 stars rather than 5 stars because I do not think this hotel quite has a clear vision of what it is. The amenities (pool, etc.) are not quite up to high-end resort standards, and its not quite up to Ritz Carlton standards for the urban hotels. Still, it suited our needs well, and we had a very pleasant short stay here. Would not hesitate to return for a short Miami visit.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank iowaguy
Reviewed February 26, 2009

What an amazing hotel! From the minute I arrived, the staff at the Ritz-Carlton treated me as if I was the only guest in the hotel. They continuously used my name which made me feel like a VIP!! We were able to get the room at an absolute steal….booked a package called Reconnect. We got breakfast; valet and internet for an absolutely amazing price (can’t believe it from the Ritz)! The hotel has new rooms that were extremely clean with fresh flowers in the room! Downtown Coconut Grove was just steps away with great restaurants and live entertainment!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple