“Terrible valet, but otherwise great staff”

The Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove, Miami
Ranked #20 of 127 Hotels in Miami
Reviewed February 28, 2014

I was greeted by a chaotic and unfriendly valet service. The rest of the staff was pretty impressive. There is currently loud construction across from the hotel; they start working at sunrise. In my room, the electrical outlet was not snuggly attached to the wall. You could pull it out. The toilet wasn't consistently refilling either. I know how to fix these problems, so I did, but if you don't....watch out. They've cut rates during the construction, but it still may not be worth the money.

Room Tip: Avoid the construction side if you want to sleep past sunrise.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank MDWMember0928
Jackie V, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove, Miami, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2014

Good afternoon,
I appreciate the time you took to share your comments about your recent visit to our property. Miami skyline is still changing and I apologize that you had to experience the construction noise of the new upcoming building across our hotel. Thank you for the feedback regarding valet service and the engineering issues, I will address both. Highlighting the rest of the staff was very kind of you, thank you.
If you wish to discuss any other feedback that might help us, please feel free to contact me directly.
Warm regards,
Jackie Volkart

Reviewed February 17, 2014

As members of American Express's Fine Hotel and Resorts program we have always trusted that hotels in this program provide 1st Class accommodations and the Highest degree of customer service. This was NOT the case with The Ritz Carlton Hotel in Coconut Grove (Miami). Not only was the staff in every department young and inexperienced, they were severely understaffed as well. Pretty much they did everything wrong: Gave us a suite that did not even have a bathtub, and then provided no hot-tub in the spa; Gave wrong directions from the hotel to a location that was 2 blocks away; Took our dry cleaning, promising same day service, only to return it to us saying that the place that provides the service was closed the day that we were there; Have NO FINE DINING Restaurant - they only serve dinner at a bar with tables set up in the lobby and charge $9 for a cup of Cappuccino that comes out of a machine on top of that. IT WAS ABSURD ! ! My rating was only "poor" as opposed to "terrible" because (at least the building) was still a high end hotel style and had some nice features, but if you are thinking "The Ritz" THI IS NOT IT.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else !
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Santa_Fe_Jeffrey
Jackie V, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove, Miami, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Dear Santa Fe Jefferey,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. It is unfortunate to learn that your experience at our property was not up to your expectations. This was the 51st year for the Coconut Grove neighborhood to host the Coconut Grove Art Festival, the largest outdoor Art Fair in the United States, welcoming visitors from around the world.
I truly regret that certain aspects of your stay were not what you expected. Based on our e-mail communication with you, I understand that you appreciate that the concerns were heard and addressed. I would be personally available upon your return if you wish to discuss further.

Warm regards,
Jacqueline Volkart

Reviewed February 15, 2014

Down in Miami for business and luckily this hotel was on the approved list. The property is beautiful and it's about 30-45 minutes away from South Beach. The view from my window was nothing special but I didn't care.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank mauriciogiankana
Reviewed February 12, 2014

The service was great, everyone was kind and helpful. The room service menu leaves something to be desired but it was the low season. The lobby is beautiful and I am sure the pool is a lot of fun in the summer. Would highly recommend!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I enjoyed my stay at The Ritz-Carlton, Coconut Grove tremendously. I was so very well taken care of by the staff throughout. The pool area was great. And, I loved my room. This will be my go-to property when staying in the Miami area, for sure.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Our family recently had a wonderful stay at this hotel. We were greeted at check-in by Elizabeth, who offered each of us a glass of champagne as we checked in. What a nice way to start a long weekend! Our rooms were comfortable and each had a balcony overlooking the pool, with a partial ocean view. The decor was understated and tasteful, and the beds were incredibly comfortable. The white marble bathroom was spacious and spotlessly clean. It was nice to have a small coffee maker in the room; I have stayed at other Ritz-Carltons that didn't have this much-appreciated amenity. My only quibble with the hotel is that they really need to upgrade to high definition television.

We enjoyed a light dinner in the lobby, and the salads were excellent. Coconut Grove has many good restaurants ranging from casual chain restaurants to fine dining only a five minute walk from the hotel.

Finally, a note about service....it is outstanding. Elizabeth left us a note with restaurant recommendations and a stack of maps and brochures she thought would interest us. Service at the lobby restaurant and the pool bar was excellent, and the valets always brought our car to us promptly. Everyone is friendly and seems dedicated to providing guests an enjoyable stay at the Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove.

Room Tip: We had rooms on the fifth floor, and they were very quiet.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank IllinoisTravel4Fun
Reviewed January 17, 2014

Recently, stayed at this property for the first time and it was a trip not to remember. What ever could go wrong did. I really can't put my finger on the overall cause but it might be weird set of coincidences which converged upon us. In each and every instance, employees and management responded quickly to rectify the damage.

I will give this property another try solely because of the outstanding training and excellent communications skills of every employee that we encountered and there were many. I must say that the attitude expressed by the valet to the doorman through housekeeping to even the bartender was excellent and I believe genuine.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the Bayside, construction across the street
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business