“Authentic and better than average”
Review of Savor Miami - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Savor Miami
Cuisines: Caribbean, Cuban, Latin
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Once we found this place in the back of a small area, the inside was a surprise. Nicely decorated and clean. Much more upscale feeling than other Latin restaurants we visited. The food was quite good and a lot of dishes we hadn't seen on other menus. Definitely nice. According to the hours posted on the door, it closes at 5 so no dinner however.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

Finding Savor is worth the trouble. It sits off the main road, behind a Longhorn Grill, and occupying the rear (far west) first floor of a huge building that otherwise houses only A+ Mini-Storage. So you have to know where you're going. Look for the easy-to-miss turn westward on NW 15 Street.

That said, the ample parking welcomes you. The interior and decor are routinely attractive enough inside (though you may find yourself seated directly below a hard-blowing a/c vent), and once you're inside you don't think about the exterior—just keep that in mind as you drive up.

Arrive early or be prepared to wait. Our party of four came in about 6ish on a Friday night behind one other group of maybe a half-dozen; we finished about 90 minutes later. The place was filled when we left.

The complimentary mariquitas with a mojo sauce (garlic, vinegar, lemon, I think) provided adequate munchies before the ordered appetizers: one, a mix of seasoned fried garbanzo beans and the other a heavy-garlic-shrimp concoction, each with evidently hand-cut boniato slices (chewy, not crisp). Both delectable. Loved the sliced garlic with the shrimp.

The four of us chose a variety. The vaca frita, a traditional Cuban dish, was delicately shredded beef mingled with onions and other seasonings—perfect blend. I don't recall the specific seasonings of the chicken breast dinner; I do recall that I wanted more than just a sampling of the dish. Typically I don't care much for seafood but the sea bass with dill sauce enticed me, perfect texture. My own skirt steak and chimichurri? ¡Qué sabroso! I did NOT want to share; I did so only reluctantly, behind a struggling veneer of social propriety. I wanted it ALL for myself. Usually I want to eat about half and take the rest home. Here, I simply couldn't stop eating. Too much flavor.

Price range on these appetizers was very reasonable, roughly $10-$15. The menu also offered sandwiches in the normal $7-$9 range; as I coincidentally do have some goods in storage at this A+ building, I may plan my next trip over there at a lunchtime to try some of those.

The range of desserts seemed fairly typical—and economical, as I'm recalling them only at $2-$3 (maybe very small servings?). We'd have lingered a bit longer and tried desserts if we hadn't needed to leave for an 8:00 concert about a half-hour away.

Our waitress was friendly enough, and almost always brought things out just about the time I began wondering. The chefs and kitchen staff obviously put a lot of care and talent into this food. It's presented nicely, efficiently, and enticingly.

It's a good 30-40 minute drive from our home, more than we normally want to go for repeat visits, but it certainly made this one-time trip worth it. And if we're in the area again, we know this is worth it to try something else.

1  Thank cbrysofla
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I had a groupon, so a coworker and I decided to try them out for lunch.

We had the churrasco, it was perfectly cooked. The Yuca al mojo was amazing..
Save room dessert, arroz con leche, flan they are all good!!!!!!
Excellent café

Reviewed November 13, 2011

My husband often picks up take-out from this restaurant. Whatever he chooses is tasty and well seasoned. The portions are generous sometimes allowing us both to share a meal. We have never been disappointed! Although my rating is $ indicating fast food service (food is already prepared). You can also dine in. The restaurant is small but clean and attractive.

1  Thank LindasDoral