“Very nice hotel with potential to become great” 4 of 5 stars

JW Marriott Marquis Miami
Ranked #4 of 120 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chicago, Illinois
“Very nice hotel with potential to become great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2010

I recently traveled to Miami for a nice break from the cold and snow. Overall I had a good experience at the JW Marriott and the hotel has the potential to be great.

Pros:
The hotel is beautiful...very modern design with all the amenities that you would expect from a luxury hotel.
If you're in town on business it's a good location..away from the party scene of South Beach but a short ride away.
Overall service is pleasant and attentive
DB Moderne restaurant was excellent

Cons:
The service is not quite up to the standard of a luxury hotel. It's good but not great so there is plenty of room for improvement.
The concierge and other staff should have a better idea of things to do in the area. For example, the concierge sent me to the Design Center area for shopping on Saturday and most of the stores were closed. This is something a well trained concierge should know.
Since the hotel is new, the hours of operation for the Wine Boutique and chocolate shop were inconsistent. The spa/fitness center did not have classes/yoga over the weekend so I ended up going across the street to Exhale Spa located at Epic Hotel (very nice)! Hopefully this will change as business picks up.

Overall I would recommend for business travelers. Downtown Miami does not have much to offer so if you're traveling for pleasure you will end up taking a cab and/or driving to find things to do.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2010

I expected more from this property being a JW Marriott Marquis and I would hope management continues to train the staff to make this an excellent hotel which I would expect. We stayed 3 nights over Thanksgiving prior to a cruise and had booked months in advance and their opening with a special Marriott Rewards rate. I was surprised not to get any upgraded room as I would have thought would be offered to a Platinum member but the room was great in any case. Large room, internet pc in room, comfortable bed, huge bathroom with soaker and large shower and TV in the mirror of the bathroom was a cool touch. View was nice from the 37th floor overlooking the bay and city but the trash on the roof outside the window and dead bird was a reason to keep the light shade closed.

The hotel is not in the tourist area and we ended using the hotels restaurants for several meals:
• DB Bistro Moderne – For Thanksgiving Dinner, service was good, meal was excellent but overpriced
• Met Café and Bar – Good for lunch or something quick, but was empty our entire stay
• Room Service – Wasn’t bad, but wasn’t good either, more like below average and I stay at lots of regular Marriott’s

The concierge lounge is the largest I’ve even seen in a Marriott property. Nicely decorated, very large with eating and casual seating and an outstanding view of the city. Food selection for breakfast was good but the service was downright horrible. I was shocked at the level of service shown to Marriott’s elite members. A few examples:
•Available clean tables – Its large and even with all the tables and being empty all the tables had not been cleaned from the last guest with dirty dishes etc.. It was not busy at all but the staff didn’t seem to be very attentive to bus the tables after guests left.
•Lack of Customer Service skills of staff – Obviously this is new staff but you would think service oriented skills would be a priority for concierge level staff.
oWe had just sat down and the lounge was still open for breakfast but they told people coming in after us they had no more eggs and that was it, but continued to bring out bacon, fruit etc and when the people said they would go down to the restaurant the staff said nothing
oHalf/Half for Coffee – they were out and said they would go downstairs for more but after repeat prompting and asking if we could wait which we did they still didn’t get the cream. After close to 20 mins the hostess just offered milk and when we said no we will wait for cream she walked away without a word to go clean off other tables and not even check if she could get cream. We ended up walking out.

This hotel has huge potential to be outstanding and we would have expected it given the Marquis designation and a JW Marriott after all. We hope the management pulls things together as there are other choices in Miami that people will use.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2010

I've stayed in many hotels, including many Marriotts, and this was a truly great experience. Being a few weeks old, there are a few minor issues to work through but I was quite impressed with the service and the facilities.

My reservation was in order and even the refridgerator I requested in advance was waiting in the room. A box I sent in advance of my stay was given to me when I checked in. I often have to make several calls to receive a box like this but this property handled it flawlessly.

The bellman showed me some of the finer points of the room which I appreciated. For example, the Illy coffee maker does not turn off automatically (since they don't know which of the cup sizes is in use). I might have missed the free bottles of water or the larger coffee cups if I had not been shown where they were.

The room was beautiful and the beds were extremely comfortable. There was a PC in the room with free usage PLUS free Wi-Fi. The bathroom was great - long with two sinks, a very comfortable bathtub with a book holder, and a strong, hot shower with a rainforest shower head plus a separate wand. Toiletries were also wonderful including the great lavendar bath salts. Nice stool for shaving/makeup and a lighted mirror. Plenty of storage in the bathroom and in the room.

To turn on all of the electricity/lights in the room, you have to place your key firmly in a slot by the door. I've seen this in Europe but not in the USA. At least I knew where to find my key. Also by the door are buttons to push for "Do Not Disturb" or "Clean The Room". They turn on a red or green light outside your door. Housekeeping does honor these so don't forget to turn off the "Do Not Disturb" when you leave or you might miss out on the nightly service.

The pool and workout rooms were great. Electronic bowling was fun. The basketball court made me wish I played.

Ate at DB Bistro. The $32 burger was good but not really worth the price (the fries were soggy, too). Friends had other items (such as the scallops) and completely enjoyed their meals. Desserts were inventive and tasty.

I did have a few quibbles and these are VERY minor. Hopefully the hotel will take care of what they can to make a great stay even better:
- There was no Menu function on the 55 inch TV so I couldn't check my bill or check out via the TV
- The reading lights were mounted kinda high - not exactly an easy reach to turn them off when lying in bed
- Housekeeping was a bit inconsistent. There were varying amounts of towels each day. Somedays a bath mat, somedays not. The bath salts were not replaced one day but were the other days.
- Since this is a new hotel, taxis don't always know where it is. The official address is not yet in a lot of GPS units. I finally started telling the taxi drives that the hotel was across from the Hyatt and the Epic.
- The front drive was not run as smoothly as the rest of the hotel. I had pre-ordered a taxi and they gave it to someone else. Took them 15 minutes to find another one for me. Taxis don't seem to know to drive by this hotel.
- I had booked four rooms. My friends were all given rooms facing East (towards the bay) while I got a room facing west (looking into the bank building next door). Don't know why I didn't get a better view (I'm gold level in Marriott Rewards).
- When I heard alarms in the hallway, I called the operator who had no idea what was going on. Turns out they were testing the alarms.
- The TV in the bathrrom does not have sound in synchronization with the bedroom TV. If you play them both at the same time, the sound can be quite annoying.

Highlights:
- The in-room coffee from Illy was the best ever in a hotel room
- The lobby almost doesn't look like a lobby - just a sofa and a few cushioned seats. Front desk clerks were always effecient and quick.
- Amazingly comfortable beds
- Elevators were usually very quick
- Loved all the technology from the phone on the desk where I could program a wakeup call to the in-room PC.

To top it off, this hotel has amazing help in the concierge lounge. The service there was great. Jason, Martin, and the other lounge employees pampered their guests. The lounge breakfast included scrambled eggs, bacon/sausage, pastries, fruits, cheeses, lox, etc. Always a good way to start the day. In the evening, wine and beer were complimentary. Bottled water (Fuji, Voss, Pelligrino, and Perrier) along with sodas were always available. Desserts consisted of fresh fruit or pre-packaged snack bars. The lounge also had large-screen TVs, greeat seats by the bay-view windows, and two computers/printer.

One comment about Concierge level. Since I'm gold, I get conceirge lounge access. I had booked a concierge room because the initial literature suggested there was even more tech in those rooms including larger televisions and surround sound systems. Turns out the tech is the same in all the rooms. Since I already get lounge access, my extra $30 a night (over the standard room rate I booked) turned out to be a waste. I would not pay extra again since I didn't really get anything for the extra money.

Just so you know, downtown is pretty dead at night. During the day, the traffic was always backed up but at night the taxis could fly right through downtown.

I hope to stay at this property again in the future since this was a great week at a wonderful hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2010

This hotel is without a doubt one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at!!! the service is excellent from the moment you get out of the car, the valet staff was corteous and prompt; our check in was very quick, the bellman was very pleasant and our luggage was taken very quickly to our room. The room was simply gorgeous (Although I wasn't upgraded and as a Platinum Elite I am kind of used to being upgraded) many features such as I believe was a 55in TV, polished wood throught the room, bath robes, etc (What you would expect from a Hotel in this category. The concierge floor staff was great very corteous and always going above and beyond!!! The concierge lounge itself was very well equipped with a great selection of premium items. The facilities were amazing although many of them were not in service at the moment. such as the virtual bowling alley and the indoor basketball court. I am sure as the staff becomes more familiar with the hotel's amenities and everything starts rolling the way it was intended, this very well could be the best hotel in Miami.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Bermuda
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2010

This hotel is extremely new with some teething pains as with any new hotel. The hotel is not quite complete. The Business Center hasn't been set up as yet, so make sure you take a laptop with you. The location is in walking distance of Bayside and AA Arena.
The rooms are beautiful wiith a TV in the bathroom mirror. Unfortunately the 52 inch TV in the bedroom would lose signal quite often so that was a bit annoying. They use Direct TV. The rooms are very modern and comfortable. The bathroom is a large size. The view was great from the 22 floor. The staff are helpful and willing to please. We couldn't get in the Basketball court with our key card but it looked like fun.
All in all its a very nice hotel. It is located right across from The Epic hotel and the Hyatt Regency is located just to the right of the hotel. I will stay here again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank smlewis
Southern California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2010

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for three nights. There are still a few rough edges, but the staff more than compensates for these inconveniences.

* All of the staff is very friendly and will talk to you in a relaxed but professional way - my way of saying they're not stuffy. We met the dining room manager, a fellow from Rome, who asked us how our dining experience was. He seemed genuinely interested and took note of staff , such as Lilliam at 345 restaurant, who gave us tips on various places to see and local places to eat.

* The view from our room was spectacular. The hotel's floor to ceiling windows enhance the view of the water.

* Valet Parking, $32, is expensive, especially if you are going in and out of the hotel. There doesn't appear to be a self parking option-- unless you park in the office building that is attached to the hotel.

* The hotel is located near the AA arena and Bayside shopping area-- the streets can get crowded if there is an event such as a Miami Heat game.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelForever58
Pacifica, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2010

As I arrived at the hotel, I noticed a lot of hotel staff standing around but no one stepped up to assist me out of my cab or with my bags. Upon stepping into the hotel, someone was kind enough to guide me to the front desk.

The hotel lobby was appealing with that grand contemporary chic. It was very disappointing to see the ladders and areas still being worked on.

Upon arriving at the front desk, I stepped up to the desk to check-in. Although there were no other guests there, the front desk person ignored me and carried on with whatever he was doing. His colleague acknowledged me but did not say anything or offer any assistance and carried on. Finally I had to ask for assistance. Meanwhile, there were four hotel staff just standing around the bell or concierge's desk, looking and not offering any assistance. I thought to myself. Where am I? Isn't this a JW Marriott Marquis? A brand that prides itself on service and customer experience. Hmm...

Someone finally helped me check-in. Great. Turns out my room is not available. It's already 4:30 pm now... past their normal check-in time. When asked when the room will be available, I was told after 6 pm. The hotel was kind enough to store my bags and offered me to wait at their club lounge. Unfortunately, I had a dinner meeting at 6 pm and really needed to freshen up. They sent me to their fitness center, which was very impressive, to get freshened up.

Returning to the hotel after 9 pm, I went back to the hotel to get my room key. After over 10 minutes of confusion, I finally got my key and my bags and on my way to my room.

While riding up to my room on the 26th floor, I overheard some guests also commenting that they waited a long time to get their room when they check-in in the day before. They heard that it's because the hotel has not completely finished their rooms yet, amongst other things.

Once I arrive in the rooms, the room was really nice and smells new. The room amenities were amazing. was too large for my taste, especially given the room is not that big. Bathroom was amazining...wished I had a bathroom like that at home. If I did, I may spend much of my life in there. I did appreciate having a TV in the mirror of the bathroom. You know it can get a little creepy too, if you are not used to it.

Would I come back? Maybe after it has sorted out it's service issues. Definitely not a hotel at the JW Marriott Marquis brand service level.

Best of luck to you.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank Magsy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Miami
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton - Miami/Brickell-Downtown
Four Seasons Hotel Miami
Conrad Miami
#9 of 120 in Miami
4.5 of 5 stars 1,716 reviews

Been to JW Marriott Marquis Miami? Share your experiences!