“Great rooms and views”

JW Marriott Marquis Miami
Ranked #9 of 128 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I was here last year for a business trip and had a great experience. The rooms are very nice and clean. The room service was wonderful too! The front desk was very friendly and accommodating. They were helpful at suggesting local places to visit and they even gave me a map of a nearby jogging trail.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,871)

Reviewed February 28, 2013

My husband had a conference and we use that as an excuse to take a romantic weekend. The hotel is very nice, as you would expect. While our room didnt really have a great view, it was very large, comfy bed, great bathroom and quiet. They gym was fantastic and never crowded. The pool is small and because the hotel is in the shadow of other large buildings, the sunshine is iffy at best. While I would not choose this location over South Beach for a real vacation, we did have a couple of good meals (see my other reviews), it was a short walk to Brickell, and great if you want to see a Heat game. We had a lovely time and the entire staff was very pleasant and hlepful

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I've traveled far and wide and stayed in some of the best (and worst) hotels in the world but this is my first review on TA with good reason. In the interest of full disclosure: I'm a bit of a hotel snob. Part of this was my parent's fault for spoiling me as a child and part of it is because being an above average sized individual (6'5'' -- 275lbs), it's often difficult to truly make myself at home outside of my home. This ceased being the case on my most recent trip to the JW Marriott Marquis Miami.

I'll start with why I'm so high on this property:

Customer Service (10/10):

First is the staff. If you've ever been to Miami, you'll know that some of the more "high-end" hotels tend to have a certain air about them. They know that you know their property is the jam and it shows. Simple requests are ignored or viewed with a palpable disdain and don't even think of asking for something like a room on a high floor with a view. This was not the case at the JWMM. The staff was helpful and friendly. Almost to the point of feeling like I was at a family reunion. We joked about everything from sports (not surprisingly a large chunk of the staff were Canes/Heat fans) to other members of the staff (Erika at the bar on the second floor is a fiesty one). Orlando, the concierge on duty for the duration of our stay was upbeat, pleasant and more than willing to lend a helping hand on the local happs.

The Property (12/10):

First let me say this: It's not on South Beach, so if you're hoping for that, look elsewhere. This hotel is in the heart of downtown by the Bay on Biscayne. Centrally located in the heart of Downtown Miami. The rooms were, in a word: DOPE. My buddy, who also had a room, actually called me from downstairs (he got the king bed, but I got the high floor) just to say "Man, this room is freaking sick". Guestrooms are large and spacious replete with the largest flat screen TV I have ever seen in a hotel room (60'' give or take) and upwards of 60+ TV channels (HBO East and HBO West --- again, never seen this). The bathrooms were something out of an R&B video sporting TV's in the mirrors, glass encased showers and full sized tub fit for a king. The furnishings, though minimal, kept with the overall decor of the property; think dark hardwoods and leather. My view from the 30th floor was partially obstructed by the building next door, but I could still get a glimpse of the water and the pool below. Also, the tree hugger side of me liked the fact that the room has a nifty little feature that requires you to put your room key in a little slot in order to keep the lights on. When you leave, take the key with you and the lights automatically turn off. Energy conservation... that's a good thing. Valet parking of $36 was a bit on the high side but not completely abnormal and as Erika, in a rare instance of non-fiestiness, validated my visiting friend's parking.

Amenities (8/10):

I didn't get a chance to check it out, but allegedly there was a regulation tennis court and a regulation basketball court somewhere upstairs. I also didnt' get a chance to check out the SPA or the restaurant as we spent most of our time harassing (read: flirting) with the bartenders upstairs. The in room amenities were well placed. Nice toiletries. Surprisingly cheap minibar items ($6 for a can of import beer, though expensive is actually quite affordable). Another added perk which I hope they continue to offer is FREE(!!!) in room WiFi.

Cleanliness (10/10):

The room and the property were immaculate. If it weren't for the other guests roaming the halls, I wouldn't have though the property was two years old.

Food (6/10):

If there was any downside I'd say it was the food. It wasn't horrible by any stretch of the imagination, but it did leave a little to be desired. Still though, I've had worse meals at more "exclusive (read: expensive)" hotels. My buddy had breakfast both mornings and I'm not sure what his feelings were on that, but he didn't complain, so I'll assume it was decent.

Final Thoughts:

I was never a fan of Miami in the past. The fast life of South Beach was just too much for me and still is, so I'm surprised that a hotel could make me change my entire feeling on an entire city, but it did. I think I've found my Miami home. It's convenient to the beach if need be, but far enough away from the riff-raff/hustle and bustle to get a good night's sleep if you're in town for business. I'm definitely giving this place serious consideration as the locale for my (gasp) 30th birthday celebration. Maybe if I pay them enough money, they'll sell me the Presidential Suite and let me turn it into a condo. I guy can dream can't he...?

Room Tip: Four words: Bay View -- High Floor.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Clayton K
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Stayed here with family and had two rooms on 35th floor. The rooms are excellent. Very large with king bed and excellent modern bathroom with lovely bath and separate shower. Free wi-fi with in room computer available for browsing. massive big screen tv. Fabulous views. One of our rooms was a corner room with two walls with floor to ceilling glass and a great view of Miami.
Breakfast was just ok. A la carte and buffet. The buffet was nice but nothing spectacular. Had lunch in the metro cafe when we arrived. Skip that. Not very good but of course 5 star prices. Excellent pool.
Some nice restaurants nearby within walking distance so long as you stick to the main drag.
Would have given it 5/5 if it had a very good breakfast.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Let me start by saying this is a beautiful hotel with staff that will trip all over you to help. We stayed for one night on marriott points. Even though its beautiful, its in an area of Miami in which you really don't want to walk around. We did walk down the street for our one evening there to II Gabbianio which was an excellent dinner. Walking around a lot of the vicinity of the hotel is sketchy and just not nice like downtown Miami or South Beach. No beaches hear within walking distance of the hotel. We cruised out of the port of miami and it was a quick cheap taxi but you can actually get adequate hotels closer down on biscayne if you need to be near the port and more action down there for night life.

Also, the reason I ultimately rated this as average vs very good is due to the following. A big concern was an odd $35.00 charge on our bill after we left that was not on our bill at checkout. When we got home from our cruise I noticed the charge on my Marriott Chase Visa. I had to call the hotel 4 times and never got the promised call back. They told me that it was a parking charge from the valet which was really interesting as we arrived via a taxi from Miami airport. They finally removed it but it took time and effort from me with followup calls that made me question some of the customer focus which is why I ended up with average vs very good as this has never happened to me at any marriott property as I mostly stay at marriotts and although I've never had this specific issue arise on any rare issue they are always very customer focused and reply promptly.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ivytravel
Reviewed February 13, 2013

This was our second stay at the JW Marriott Marquis. We purchased tickets to watch the Miami Heat vs LA Lakers game on Sunday Feb 10,2013 at American Airlines Arena and couldn't imagine a better place to stay other than the JW Marriott Marquis hotel. My wife and I traveled with our 9 months old daughter. Prior to arriving to the hotel, I called the JW Marriott Marquis to confirm my reservation and to request a crib or playpen for our little one. I was told that the crib or playpen could not be guaranteed because the hotel was sold out. I was a little disappointed by that news but didn't let it kill my excitement for the weekend ahead. I booked a partial water view room with two double beds because my mother would babysit for us while we attended the game. To my surprise, when we arrived at the hotel to check in around 3:30pm, not only was our room ready but I was told that we were upgraded to a suite and the crib was already in the room. Awesome!! We went upstairs to our room, excuse me I meant our suite, only to find a beautiful suite which could be easily described as a one bedroom condo on the 24th floor. I was totally happy and excited with the room, because it offered enough space for us all. We were offered a little fridge which we greatly accepted. I was a little disappointed that we didn't have a view of the water, but we did have a beautiful view of the miami tower and in a distance, the home of the Miami Heat, AMERICAN AIRLINES ARENA. The only disappointment with this room was the bed, we both woke up with back pain because the bed was a little lumpy, but we didn't let that kill our spirits, the JW Marriott Marquis will be our only choice when in Miami. We had an awesome pre-valentine getaway to Miami, great game and better yet, we left the blizzard in New York behind.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 12, 2013

My husband stayed and dined in this hotel for 24 hours before a cruise. The JW Marriot staff was amazing, above and beyond from any other hotel reception we have had in quite some time. I think the name of the lady at check in was Valencia. She was wonderful to us and answered questions throughout the day without genuine kindness. The GM, Florencia was also very kind in helping is with our reservation which had to be re-booked after hurricane Sandy.

The rooms are huge, spacious and clean. The water view was splendid. Though the experience of this hotel started to tank when I called the spa and spoke to Randall about booking a massage. He said he didn't know if he could schedule an appointment for a massage and said he would call me right back. 35 minutes later - no Randall. I called the spa again and got Randall - he apologized for not calling me, and booked me a 50 min massage at 4:00PM.

Initial plans were to sauna before my massage - but when I got in there I was freaked out to see giant toe nail clippings all over the benches. YUCK! So I went straight to the "relaxation lounge" where I was invited to enjoy tea. But alas - there was no hot water and virtual no amenities to speak of. Worst part - there were bout a half dozen dirty glasses and cups everywhere. Where the heck was the spa attendant?

The massage was great - but LATE! Massage began at 4:36 - 36 minutes late!!This is AFTER I went searching (naked in a bath robe) for an attendant or anyone to help - the place was empty. At the end of my massage I asked Randall to room charge the service with 20% gratuity for therapist. He said he could not room charge, he was out of room charge slips. (HUH?) I gave him a CC, and all my address, and all the additional info he needed to process the charge - waiting, waiting, waiting - he then says, ""Oops I entered something wrong -we need to start over!" - Forget it. - The relaxation I enjoyed vaporized!! Infuriating lack of customer service understanding!

Love the JW Marquis - Skip the Spa