“Minimalist motel, not a "boutique hotel".”

New Yorker Boutique Hotel
Ranked #82 of 125 Hotels in Miami
Reviewed August 27, 2012

This is a two-and-a-half star motel, not "a three star Hotel with a four star rating", which the owner seems to like to repeat. We picked this hotel based on the TV show, the location, the price and the high ranking here. While not overall unhappy with our stay, I'd definitely consider the hotel overrated and over-hyped.

Our room wasn't available for early check-in - something which we requested in advance but wasn't accommodated - not expected but hoped for, and only attempted once we actually arrived (only then Gerry called and asked house-keeping to get it ready early). Upon check-in, we had a nice chat with Gerry at the front desk. We chatted about the Hotel Impossible episode, and she emphasized that the show was at the beginning of the series when it still was low-budget. She pointed out that they only spent money on the car advertising overlay and the breakfast courtyard remake, and nothing was done to the rooms. I think that she meant it as a brag that the rooms didn't need improvement, but I see it as more of a limitation of the show budget since there are so many little improvements that our room begged for.

While we waited for our room to be readied, we walked a block down the street for lunch at Balans - a decent sit-down bistro for a burger, salad or sandwich. While there, we were treated to a street show - a nude hopped-up woman with a trailing entourage of buddies came out of the motel across the street, yelling in the middle of Biscayne Blvd. After a street fight with one of the buddies, a bevy of cops subdued her outside the restaurant. While somewhat amusing, it also points up the reality of the location of the New Yorker - among a row of low to mid-range motels on the main thoroughfare of Little Haiti in Miami. Not exactly a "Boutique" location, although convenient to South Beach and Downtown (if you are driving).

The room was quite clean and comfortable. The minimalist art deco decor was quite attractive. At the same time, the amenities of the room suffered dearly from the minimalism.

The bed was a full king (room 118) and quite comfortable, with decent king-size pillows and fluffy comforter. There were two chairs and small round glass-top table, one smaller glass-top bed stand and an inset mini-fridge with food cabinet above. A large flat-screen TV was nicely placed on the wall in front of the bed, where there was also an art-deco styled mirror. On the wall behind the bed was a large print with the cast of I Love Lucy - rather amusing and fitting.

Missing was a second night stand for the other side of the bed, any sort of clothes dresser, a microwave (not available on request, contrary to what was stated in the hotel description) and any sort of room information such as TV channel guide, instructions on turning on the overhead light (integral to the overhead fan - ours was off and it took us a couple days to realize that it existed and had to be turned on with a dedicated remote), area restaurants, etc.

There was a nice table placard which included info such as "free local and long distance calls", dial "0" to get pool tables from the front desk, etc. Just one problem - there was no phone in our room. When I inquired, I was told that they were at the mercy of the phone installation company, that hadn't gotten around to installing in all the rooms yet. Really? It's a small motel, not a big hotel. Seems like they would do all the rooms at once, not piecemeal over time.

The room also had a small changing room - about the same size as the bathroom. There was certainly enough room there for a nice chest of drawers. Instead, it only had a hand-constructed, natural(raw)-wood, open-face closet, with a clothes bar on the left side and two open shelves and a shoe rack on the right side. And that's all the accommodations there were for clothes storage. Minimalist. And the closet only had four hangars. Minimalist. There was one folding luggage rack (not two!). At least add a couple clothes hooks - put them into the wood beams at the sides of the closet if regulations don't allow them mounted on any of the other three walls of the changing room.

The bathroom was small, with a shapely pedal sink - a shape that meant almost no place to put toiletries. The toilet was tankless - no room in there for a tank - which also meant not even a tank top to put toiletries. The one towel rack was behind the toilet, which meant the towels on it hung down behind the toilet, well within the splash zone. Why not mount it higher? Or on the wall space across from the sink? There was a corner towel step-rack occupied by the rest of the fresh folded towels. How about at least a couple towel hooks on the door.

The breakfast was decent with BJ's Club-quality food - three varieties of fresh bagels, brand-name cereals, coffee, tea, orange juice, milk, bananas, apples, cream cheese, butter and jelly. The same every morning. I'd put it one step above an average Day's Inn continental breakfast, and a leap below a "Boutique Hotel" breakfast, or even an average vacationer's hotel breakfast. No eggs (even hard-boiled), no cheese, no regular breads, no waffle-maker, no yogurt. Simple and decent, but not "four-star rating" worthy.

And finally we get to service. Besides my early check-in request that wasn't accommodated, after the first day I asked that no air fresheners (Febreeze) be used in my room since I am sensitive to artificial fragrances. The front desk clerk made a note in her computer (or pretended to?), and I also caught the maid in the morning and asked her directly. My request was ignored.

We checked out a day early due to a change in our travel plans. When I checked out, I was informed by Gerry that there was no refund for early check out. I knew this already since there was a line on the terms I was required to sign upon check-in that said that there are no refunds for early check-out. Gerry said that if I had told them the day before that I would be checking out early, they might have been able to give me a refund. I tried to suggest to Gerry that this should be made clearer on the web terms and conditions. I wasn't arguing for a refund, just making a suggestion for improvement. This was met with Gerry by bristle and reactive explanations of the 24-hour cancellation policy in the terms and conditions on the web. I tried to point out that a "24-hour cancellation policy" is different than an early check-out policy, and this ought to be clearer in the terms. This was met with more resistance and I was told I could call booking.com and they would tell me the same thing.

Sorry, Gerry - no, you were not listening to me as you insisted. A simple, "Thanks, I'll tell the owners about your suggestion" would have been sufficient. All your debate that the terms on the web were stated properly were uncalled for and unnecessary. I had read and signed the paper at check-in - I knew I wasn't getting a refund for the one day. (And this incident is why I went to two stars instead of three - although two and half is where I'd put it if I could.)

In retrospect, I think I actually should get a refund for that day. On the web, it gives 24-hours to cancel a reservation or the first night's charge is lost. It doesn't give any early check-out terms - most hotels you can check out early with no penalty unless stated otherwise. Upon check-in, the terms I signed stated that no refund is offered for early check-out and the full reservation price would be charged upon check-in. Instead, I find out when checking out that the policy is actually that I could have gotten a day refunded if I had said something the night before - which I probably would have had I known. I was misled at both ends, costing me a night's fee.

The other points made in the other reviews are valid: noises penetrate the room (earplugs provided), parking is available but tight, price is quite reasonable for central Miami.

So, as much as this hotel strives to be something special, it really only achieves a better-than-the-run-of-the-mill-city-center-motel status. Clean, pretty decor, comfortable, decent price. Don't expect more and maybe it will beat your expectations. Maybe.

-Martin from Clearwater

Room Tip: Request a room in the back. Park in the side street spaces - a little less convenient (and possibly...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PokerX
miaminewyorker, Owner at New Yorker Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2012

We apologize for any inconveience you may have experienced at our property during your visit.
When you book a reservation through a third party in which you have and should you have to make a change with your reservation because of a change in your travel plans our staff who are fully trained and are aware of our policy direct our guest to the apporiate persons who can assist them with their modifications.
Our cancellation policy clearly states that for us to process a refund we are to be notified 24 hours prior to not the morning of.
Needless to say our check in time is 2pm and the guest service agent Geri went above and beyond to have your room ready for your early arrival as we do not guarantee early arrival due to our high demand at our property.
In regards to Geri"s comments on the show Hotel Impossible perhaps she was misinterpreted ,what she said was she simply was pointing out that our hotel did not need any changes other than the upgrade on our shuttle and breakfast area which Blance Garcia was a great designer and that Geri would have love to hire her for her own home and the best thing that the show did for our hotel was changed our MOTEL to HOTEL and that once the show was established and a hit they were going from hotel to hotel helping bussiness owners that were in need of a change.
And we are happy to inform Travel Channel that since our show our revenue has been amazing.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

I have been to Miami many times, this time I came with my brother and we were looking for somewhere affordable but somewhat close to the beach and the city. This was the perfect hotel! very friendly staff, free breakfast , the only down side is the noise..you can kind of hear everything. Besides that I am very pleased with my experience and would highly recommend it!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends

We like to thank you for your kind review.
We are very hapy to hear that your experience with us was memorable.
Certainly looking forward to your return visit.
Thank you for recommanding us to your friends, we will provide the same excellant service and amenties that were provided to you.

Looking forward to your next visit

Reviewed August 24, 2012

I stayed at the Hotel New Yorker on 8/21/12 in room 111. The hotel has been recently remodeled. My room had flat screen tv, wifi and a refrigerator. The hotel is very nice and clean. The shower was hot and has good water pressure, it was refreshing. The pool area is very nice, quiet and clean. The breakfast bar is in a courtyard. It was nice and clean. The food was fresh and the staff all over the hotel was polite and friendly. Location is everything. This place is 2 miles north of downtown Miami. The room rates are around $95 a nice. Other hotel near the New Yorker charge $260 a nice. Don't over pay. I will stay here again!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank David R
miaminewyorker, Owner at New Yorker Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2012

We are a lovely property and we offer great amenties and customer service.
We are a three star hotel with a four star rating.

We certainly look forward to your next visit.
Walter,Shirley&Staff

Reviewed August 17, 2012

I am shocked that this run down motel has gotten as many descent reviews as it did! I was there and although this place was featured on Hotel impossible, "it still needs some serious makeover work". I understand from watching the episode how much the owners love their property, however the truth is "it simply needs more"!!! The raw wood bed platforms look very no frills. The bathrooms are very outdated with dirty grout and missing towel racks. Everything from the lobby (that you need to be buzzed into) to the rained out yellow paper covers for the lights outside dining need to be renewed. Yes there is a pretty blue paint on many of the walls, but the "bug problem" CANNOT BE IGNORED!!! I had to look at four rooms before I found one that seemed acceptable. I am so sorry we did just not leave! The next morning my sister had been bitten 15 times by bed bugs! We nearly loss our minds that the bugs had been dinning on her all night and morning! I insisted that the owner come and see this for themselves, but the nice girls (the only thing nice about this place) at the front desk said they were not on the property. She did make a call to the owners and we were given a full refund. I nor my sister have anything to gain by lying as suggested by the owners when they replied about my sister review. It is nearly 2 months later and she still has the marks from being bitten. I don't know what other people consider pleasant, beautiful or nice, this place is none of those things. I actually took pictures of the bugs on the beds! YUCK!!!!! This is no laughing matter! My sister Tina s. wrote her review earlier. Take heed!!!

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Robin K
miaminewyorker, Owner at New Yorker Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

We apoologize that your sister had an unpleasent stay with us.
On behalf of the New Yorker Hotel we take our review, comments, complaints seriously and make every effort to correct and avoid negative reviews against our property.
We have never had an issue with bedbugs, and once we were inform of this we hired an outside company to check every room in our hotel and needless to say he inform us we did not have bedbugs, however that is is possible that bedbugs can be transported to our hotel from prior guest luggages but he did not find any bedbugs in this hotel.
As for our raw wood beds, we have each platform built by a private company and are of natural wood.
As for the bathrooms being outdated we are always seeking new ideas to update our property however since we are an historic property there are limitations on what we can change and what we can not.
And we certainly follow all guidelines and required licenses to obtain our permits.
We strive to become Miami number one choice hotel ,
And our guest have made that possible for our property with their great reviews and memorable stays.
We have stood by our name and policy 100% for decades and will continue.

Sincerely

Reviewed August 15, 2012

My friend and I stayed at the New Yorker for 4 nights and had a really good experience. This is a nicely refurbished vintage hotel built in the 50's. It's no frills but met all of our needs. The room was clean and comfortable, and the pool was right outside our door. The room wasn't completely quiet, but I didn't feel like it was noisy enough to warrant sleeping in the earplugs that were provided. It's no worse than an apartment. The only thing that was weird is our fan and fan light would occassionaly turn on and off on it's own. The fans are controlled by a remote and our theory was that possibly the remotes can control fans in neighboring rooms?? Ghost?? I'm no electrician. It didn't bother me too much but was strange.

The girls that worked at the front desk were super helpful. They suggested a tour company to take everglades, city and boat tours and also recommended places to eat in the neighborhood. You can tell that the employees care about their jobs. They were all very pleasant and always remembered our names.

I was disappointed that the shuttle did not run to the port. I was in Miami for my sister's wedding aboard a cruise ship and one of the reasons she and I chose to book rooms in this hotel is we thought the shuttle would take us. The front desk called us a cab and it cost about $15, if I remember right.

The hotel provides breakfast of bagles, cereal, fruit, coffee and juice in a really cute patio. The employee who worked breakfast every morning seems like the nicest guy. Always a smile on his face and something pleasant to say.

One of my concerns when booking this hotel was the neighborhood. Some of the reviews complained that the neighborhood was sketchy. I found the neighborhood to be great. We ate most of our meals at places that were walking distance from the hotel. I LOVED every meal I had. There are also a lot of cute vintage shops close by. There are bus stops close to the hotel that we used a couple times and found to be very convenient.

This hotel isn't five star and the neighborhood's not the country club. It may not be for everyone, my mom for instance, but I think that anyone who books with the right expectations will absolutely love their time at the hotel. It was a cool place to stay in a fun neighborhood at a great price.

Room Tip: Rooms not facine Biscayne Blvd are quiter
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
miaminewyorker, Owner at New Yorker Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2012

We like to thank you for choosing the New Yorker Hotel for your choice hotel during your holiday to Miami and are delighted that you were satisfied with the comfort and quaility at our property.
We strive to become Miami's number one choice hotel with the great service and amenities that we offer to our guest.
In regards to your feedback on our shuttle to the Port we are certainly working in a timely fashison to obtain all documents required to do so, but it is taking longer than we anticipate.
However we do have all required documents and continue to provide shittle to and from Miami Aiport.
Yes our staff are very helpful in providing information to our guest on or around the surrounding areas.

Looking forward to your next visit

Reviewed August 12, 2012

My wife booked a room here for a trip far in advance, the cancelation policy was NEVER stated when booking, nor was it stated on thier website and when the trip had to be canceled, the hotel 100% refused to return any of the money. $250 simply taken from us, no sympathy as to why it had to be canceled, they just flat out refused and told us it was thier policy.

When I called to try and speak to the manager and explain the situation, she told me to "go ahead and take it to small claims" which I most certainly am. She also went on about how my wife was rude to her and that "she should call her boss and cause her problems at work", becuase of that comment I have also filed a complaint with the BBB. I don't like posting negative reviews but after my experience and several other horrible reviews I would say you'd do better sleeping in the airport than at the New Yorker. Avoid this hotel like the plague, one star becuase Yelp won't let me give zero.

Room Tip: Any other hotel in Miami is a better option.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Ryan H

We apologize that we were unable to refund you on your non refundable booking due to the policy we enforce when booking a non refundable reservation at our discounted rate,
Allow me to explain, When a guest books a reservation they are gven a choice to book a non refundable booking which clearly states no refunds no modifications at a lower rate that is provided to lock in their reservation.
Theother option was you can book at regular rate using no dicounted rate and are given 24 hour cancellation policy which is 100% refundable.
We are a three star hotel with a four star rating.
When our bussiness is being threaten with small claims or BBB we certainly feel that is not the kind of threats we deserve.
We are a family owned and operated hotel property and have been well establish for forty years.

Water&Shirley

Reviewed August 7, 2012

I really expected more from a hotel that was on the Show "Hotels Impossible". The beds were raw wood - no paint. We had a ball of hair on the bathroom floor. The bathroom door was dirty - hand prints all over the door. Parking, wow, do not park by the pool you will have to back all the way out to the street. Trust me this was no easy feat. Noise you heard everything in the rooms all around you. And not hotels fault but we had a family with several children above us, that would explain the ear plugs on the night stand. The only thing nice I have to say - The lady who checked us in and the young man at the breakfast bar were both very nice and pleasant. For the price we paid, not at all up to par. YUK

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Schanuth
miaminewyorker, Owner at New Yorker Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

We apologize on behalf of the New Yorker Hotel and disappointed to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay.
The beds are of natural wood, and are beutiful and it would ruin the natural wood if we painted them.
As for the parking there are two ways in and out for our guest who choose to park in the back of the hotel, the staff can either open the gate or they can drive forward out as they did to get in. We also have an entire block for our guest to park as well as the side of our hotel.
We strive to become Miami's number one choice hotel and we take each guest review and fix to ensure our guest that we want to make everything perfect for them to have a memorable stay with us.