All reviews jackson memorial hospital medical facilities bascom palmer sketchy neighborhood gated garage marlins park winn dixie free shuttle free breakfast cruise port shuttle service sitting area fridge and microwave yogurt restaurant downstairs uber ride hot breakfast
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed here for two nights prior to our cruise. Airport shuttle is a joke. Got to our room - handle on the bathroom door was hanging by one screw. Reported it. Hours later, still hanging. Went to take a shower - there was no water. The shower was inoperable. Went to front desk. They didn't have time to fix the issues, so we had to repack our family of four and move to another room. Checked shower before setting down luggage....it worked. Too bad the air conditioning didn't. The room was hot and we spent two miserable nights attempting to sleep. Elevators were ridiculous. Very slow. When one would finally come, both would come. Would have gladly taken the stairs, but they were at the far end of the hotel....and they didn't allow access into the hotel - they dumped you out onto the street, where you would then have to walk around the building to get back in. Breakfast was a joke. They knew how many people were in the hotel, yet they ran out of EVERYTHING and people stood in line for ages to get any type of breakfast. This happened both mornings. How hard is it to stock the fresh fruit or make sure the pot of oatmeal is full? Milk was warm because the fridge wasn't working. When you DID get your breakfast, there was no where to sit. Nice patio outside, but if you go out, you can't get back in - doors locked. Finally discovered a key pad 10 feet from the door in the bushes......how is anyone to see that?!! Would have helped to have a sign on the door pointing to it, at least. On Saturday, we saw the "cruise shuttle" and decided that we didn't want to deal with that chaos with our elderly and handicapped parents (try getting grandma into a very tall 15 passenger van without steps when she has issues with her legs). So we called a cab for our ride to the port. Greatest decision possible. Cheaper than the "free shuttle" which wasn't free. Let's talk about the neighborhood......there are NO restaurants or stores nearby. Period. You are at the mercy of your feet or a cab to go anywhere for lunch, dinner, etc. We walked about a mile to a restaurant through a very sketchy neighborhood.....past people sleeping on the ground, dirty diapers strewn all over the place....not very inviting to a visitor to Miami. Staff at the front desk were quite indifferent about any issues we had and didn't seem interested in any resolutions. Not what you expect when you are forking over several hundred dollars for two nights. Also, expect to pay dearly for your drinks and snacks - oh, and wait in line for a long time. They have NO vending machines - only snacks/drinks available through the "market" which is run by the front desk. When they are checking people in, you will stand in line for 10-15 minutes for a bottle of water when you could just walk up to a vending machine and be done with it. Cruise lines must refer this place to their travelers since there were a lot of cruisers there, but they should reconsider their attachment to this property. It's a lousy way to start a vacation.

Room tip: Rooms at another property are the best bet!
Date of stay: December 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank nancy e
MIAHD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Miami Downtown/Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Thank you for providing your feedback on your most recent stay at the SpringHill Suites by Marriott Miami Airport East Medical Center. I was disappointed to hear of the poor experience you had at our hotel as this is not typically the level of service we provide our guests. I would like to speak with you in order to obtain some additional details about your stay. When you have an opportunity would you please contact me at 305-575-5300. Thank you again for staying with us. I look forward to speaking with you.

Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

We stay here for a few days in our vacations in Miami and the hotel was very good, clean and quiet.
I liked that they have separated the restroom from the shower both with handwasher and mirrors.
They include continental breakfast and have an Starbucks coffee place in the restaurant/lobby area.
You have access to computers and printers if you need it. They have also free lemonade for guests.
They charge you extra for parking lot but there is space for parking in the street also.
The hotel is very close from downtown and other places by car.
The ambience was family style.
The only thing we didn't like was the neighborhood although it was very quiet and seem safe it was not pretty. Other than that it was a very nice stay.

Date of stay: November 2012
Thomas L, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Miami Downtown/Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Thank you for your feedback, we take all our guest comments and always look for ways to improve.
We hope to see you back soon

Reviewed December 9, 2012

Although not my normal class of hotel stay, I found Springhill Suites Miami Airport east/Medical Center to very enjoyable. The rooms are very nicely designed and appointed, and the service is excellent. My only complaint was that the carpets in the room I stayed in, and in the hallways and public areas could have used more regular cleaning. They were a bit soiled, although not badly, but still a bit out of character for a $159/night Marriot property. The location is excellent, just a couple of blocks from the Civic Center Station which links you to all points of the excellent Miami-Dade Transportation System. Seniors can get a free Easy Pass Discount Card (at Civic Center Station) which entitles them to 50% off all Miami-Dade transportation buses and trains, as well as the Tri Rail to Fort Lauderdale.

Room tip: My room fronted the expressway, but was, nonetheless quite
Date of stay: December 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
MIAHD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Miami Downtown/Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Thank you so much for staying with us and providing your feedback. We look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

Arrived afternoon day before cruise. Room was large and separate area for tub/shower and the camode. They were thoughtful enough to have sink,towles and soap in each room. Walk-in closet large enough for weeks worth of clothes

1  Thank dchinski
Thomas L, Manager at SpringHill Suites Miami Downtown/Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

We hope to see you back soon

Reviewed November 30, 2012

I already had made my reservation at SpringHill Suites when I started to look up the reviews of the hotel. Some of the reviews were horror stories, but as I only had to stay for one nite, I desided to stick to my reservation,
Arriving at Miami Airport I called the hotel to get the shuttle. I had to wait for 30 min. which I thought was a bad start of my stay....maybe the reviews were right after all ??? Then, the shuttle driver was really kind and arriving at SprinHill Suites, the receptionist apologized for the delay. My check in at the hotel was fast and efficient and everything was explained to me ( restaurant location, breakfast location and hours ect.). My suite was well equiped and clean, and yes, there were some pizza ads under the door, but it wasn´t a big deal to pick them up and throw them in the rubbish bin. The bed was very comfy and spotless. My room was facing the main road, but no noise from the road was heard in the room ( unless I pressed my ear to the window. The bath room was clean and hed everything you need. The (free) breakfast was good - something for every taste and plenty of everything. The internet connection was fast ,which was a plus as I had quite a lot of work to finish during my stay. The internet in the reception was perfect as well and I could print out what I needed there.
Check out was as easy as the check in and the shuttle to the airport left exactly at the announced hour.
I have used different kinds of Marriott hotels during the years and SpringHill Suites is Marriott standard in the price range. You can´t compare it to Ritz Carlton neither by quality nor by price

• Trip type: Traveled solo
2  Thank sol653

Thank you so much for staying with us at the SpringHill Suites by Marriott Miami Airport East Medical Center and for providing your feedback. My apologies for the delay on the shuttle; I am glad you enjoyed your stay and the accomodations. Thank you again.