“Service is not so good”

SpringHill Suites Miami Airport East/Medical Center
Ranked #68 of 127 Hotels in Miami
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed here in 2011 before our cruise & found the hotel nice. Service was a little slow & they weren't real helpful in figuring things out. We learned the ropes & decided to stay here again for our next cruise. Mistake. Front desk called us a taxi & after 30 minutes for a 10 minute wait along with 3 more calls, we ran out in the road & stopped a taxi. Hotel info said Starbucks in the lobby was open at 7am. I was told it wouldn't open until 11am when I got down there. I took brochure down at 8am & was then told it would open at 10:30am. I looked over at Starbucks & saw an employee there & she said they were open. For 24 hours, I saw the same trash & chicken bones on the ground in the courtyard. Gross. Rooms were nice though. The surrounding area is not a place outsiders should walk around. Front desk was cordial but do not go out of their way for anything. I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013
MIAHD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Miami Airport East/Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Thank you for staying at the SpringHill Suites Miami Airport East Medical Center and for providing your feedback on your experience at our hotel. I am very sorry your stay was not up to the standards you would expect at a Marriott location and I appreciate the feedback you provided which has been reviewed with our team to insure these types of issues do not re-occur in the future. Again, thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed here for two nights prior to our cruise. Airport shuttle is a joke. Got to our room - handle on the bathroom door was hanging by one screw. Reported it. Hours later, still hanging. Went to take a shower - there was no water. The shower was inoperable. Went to front desk. They didn't have time to fix the issues, so we had to repack our family of four and move to another room. Checked shower before setting down luggage....it worked. Too bad the air conditioning didn't. The room was hot and we spent two miserable nights attempting to sleep. Elevators were ridiculous. Very slow. When one would finally come, both would come. Would have gladly taken the stairs, but they were at the far end of the hotel....and they didn't allow access into the hotel - they dumped you out onto the street, where you would then have to walk around the building to get back in. Breakfast was a joke. They knew how many people were in the hotel, yet they ran out of EVERYTHING and people stood in line for ages to get any type of breakfast. This happened both mornings. How hard is it to stock the fresh fruit or make sure the pot of oatmeal is full? Milk was warm because the fridge wasn't working. When you DID get your breakfast, there was no where to sit. Nice patio outside, but if you go out, you can't get back in - doors locked. Finally discovered a key pad 10 feet from the door in the bushes......how is anyone to see that?!! Would have helped to have a sign on the door pointing to it, at least. On Saturday, we saw the "cruise shuttle" and decided that we didn't want to deal with that chaos with our elderly and handicapped parents (try getting grandma into a very tall 15 passenger van without steps when she has issues with her legs). So we called a cab for our ride to the port. Greatest decision possible. Cheaper than the "free shuttle" which wasn't free. Let's talk about the neighborhood......there are NO restaurants or stores nearby. Period. You are at the mercy of your feet or a cab to go anywhere for lunch, dinner, etc. We walked about a mile to a restaurant through a very sketchy neighborhood.....past people sleeping on the ground, dirty diapers strewn all over the place....not very inviting to a visitor to Miami. Staff at the front desk were quite indifferent about any issues we had and didn't seem interested in any resolutions. Not what you expect when you are forking over several hundred dollars for two nights. Also, expect to pay dearly for your drinks and snacks - oh, and wait in line for a long time. They have NO vending machines - only snacks/drinks available through the "market" which is run by the front desk. When they are checking people in, you will stand in line for 10-15 minutes for a bottle of water when you could just walk up to a vending machine and be done with it. Cruise lines must refer this place to their travelers since there were a lot of cruisers there, but they should reconsider their attachment to this property. It's a lousy way to start a vacation.

Room Tip: Rooms at another property are the best bet!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank nancy e

Thank you for providing your feedback on your most recent stay at the SpringHill Suites by Marriott Miami Airport East Medical Center. I was disappointed to hear of the poor experience you had at our hotel as this is not typically the level of service we provide our guests. I would like to speak with you in order to obtain some additional details about your stay. When you have an opportunity would you please contact me at 305-575-5300. Thank you again for staying with us. I look forward to speaking with you.

Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

We stay here for a few days in our vacations in Miami and the hotel was very good, clean and quiet.
I liked that they have separated the restroom from the shower both with handwasher and mirrors.
They include continental breakfast and have an Starbucks coffee place in the restaurant/lobby area.
You have access to computers and printers if you need it. They have also free lemonade for guests.
They charge you extra for parking lot but there is space for parking in the street also.
The hotel is very close from downtown and other places by car.
The ambience was family style.
The only thing we didn't like was the neighborhood although it was very quiet and seem safe it was not pretty. Other than that it was a very nice stay.

• Stayed: November 2012
Thomas L, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Miami Airport East/Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Thank you for your feedback, we take all our guest comments and always look for ways to improve.
We hope to see you back soon

Reviewed December 9, 2012

Although not my normal class of hotel stay, I found Springhill Suites Miami Airport east/Medical Center to very enjoyable. The rooms are very nicely designed and appointed, and the service is excellent. My only complaint was that the carpets in the room I stayed in, and in the hallways and public areas could have used more regular cleaning. They were a bit soiled, although not badly, but still a bit out of character for a $159/night Marriot property. The location is excellent, just a couple of blocks from the Civic Center Station which links you to all points of the excellent Miami-Dade Transportation System. Seniors can get a free Easy Pass Discount Card (at Civic Center Station) which entitles them to 50% off all Miami-Dade transportation buses and trains, as well as the Tri Rail to Fort Lauderdale.

Room Tip: My room fronted the expressway, but was, nonetheless quite
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
MIAHD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Miami Airport East/Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Thank you so much for staying with us and providing your feedback. We look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

Arrived afternoon day before cruise. Room was large and separate area for tub/shower and the camode. They were thoughtful enough to have sink,towles and soap in each room. Walk-in closet large enough for weeks worth of clothes

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank dchinski
Thomas L, Manager at SpringHill Suites Miami Airport East/Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

We hope to see you back soon

Reviewed November 30, 2012

I already had made my reservation at SpringHill Suites when I started to look up the reviews of the hotel. Some of the reviews were horror stories, but as I only had to stay for one nite, I desided to stick to my reservation,
Arriving at Miami Airport I called the hotel to get the shuttle. I had to wait for 30 min. which I thought was a bad start of my stay....maybe the reviews were right after all ??? Then, the shuttle driver was really kind and arriving at SprinHill Suites, the receptionist apologized for the delay. My check in at the hotel was fast and efficient and everything was explained to me ( restaurant location, breakfast location and hours ect.). My suite was well equiped and clean, and yes, there were some pizza ads under the door, but it wasn´t a big deal to pick them up and throw them in the rubbish bin. The bed was very comfy and spotless. My room was facing the main road, but no noise from the road was heard in the room ( unless I pressed my ear to the window. The bath room was clean and hed everything you need. The (free) breakfast was good - something for every taste and plenty of everything. The internet connection was fast ,which was a plus as I had quite a lot of work to finish during my stay. The internet in the reception was perfect as well and I could print out what I needed there.
Check out was as easy as the check in and the shuttle to the airport left exactly at the announced hour.
I have used different kinds of Marriott hotels during the years and SpringHill Suites is Marriott standard in the price range. You can´t compare it to Ritz Carlton neither by quality nor by price

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank sol653

Thank you so much for staying with us at the SpringHill Suites by Marriott Miami Airport East Medical Center and for providing your feedback. My apologies for the delay on the shuttle; I am glad you enjoyed your stay and the accomodations. Thank you again.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

I stayed one night at this property for business in central Miami on a promotional $118/night AAA rate. The hotel is nicely apportioned, attentive front desk staff, clean lobby area. Parking is marginal for check-in, one narrow semi-circular drive leads to the front desk area off a busy street, the street itself is marked "no parking", it would be very easy to get blocked up in the single-car drive. The property has a parking garage on-site, room key access opens the gate. Spaces are somewhat tight and it's somewhat difficult to navigate in and out of spaces due to the large amount of over-sized vehicles parking in the small-ish spaces. One elevator for the parking garage led to the main lobby, you caught another elevator to the guest floors.

Room was clean and nicely decorated, I had a two bed Queen studio room. Clean internal hallways. The Paul Mitchell amentities advertised by the hotel are small hotel-sized bottles, not the larger bottles pictured on the website. Good hot water and plenty of flow. Bedding consisted of memory-foam beds that had some body impression but adjusted after a little while, hotel gives you a choice of pillows between feather and foam (the foam pillow was fine). No problems with express check-out. Lot of taxes/fees, example is the $15.00/day fee for parking with $3.10 tax added on. A $118 bill ended up being $153 with all the added taxes & fees. Personally I would not walk outside the property after hours unless I had to, but Miami PD seems to keep an eye on the hotel. I ran into two officers enjoying the complementary breakfast this morning.

Breakfast buffet, in my opinion, was marginal. There were things missing such as pastries which you can get on Choice or Hilton stays that were missing from the Springhill menu. There were three hot dishes, scrambled eggs, pork sausage patties, and scrambled eggs. A third (different) hot dish of some kind would have been nice, and which you can get normally at many upscale hotels. No apple juice, just orange and cranberry out of the juice machine. The buffet was only semi-well maintenanced, the cold water was out the entire time I was eating. Cleanliness was medium, not outstanding.

All in all this was a good stay, with some exceptions as outlined above. This property was very convienent to the location I needed to go, so location rather then pricepoint dictated my hotel selection this time. I'd stay at this property again if I had to come back to this part of Miami, although my wallet is still wincing a little bit.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank elc32955

Thank you for staying with us and providing your feedback. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. Your review mentioned our breakfast buffet. I wanted to let you know that I am happy to say that due to customer feedback, the SpringHill Suites brand will be making changes to our breakfast menu currently scheduled to begin in the Spring of 2013. Thank you again for staying with us.