SpringHill Suites Miami Downtown/Medical Center
Kimpton
$136
$118
  • Restaurant
Crowne Plaza Miami Airport(Miami)(Great Value!)
$90
$153
$144
HolidayInn.com
  • Restaurant
Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay(Miami)(Great Value!)
$199
$152
Marriott Hotels
  • Restaurant
Regency Hotel Miami(Miami)(Great Value!)
$91
$124
$105
Priceline
  • Pool
All reviewsjackson memorial hospitalmedical centersbascom palmermarlins parkwinn dixiemarlins gamefree breakfastfree shuttlecruise portsitting areaparking garagefridge and microwaverestaurant downstairssmall poolyogurtuber ridehot breakfast
Reviewed November 20, 2011

I recently stayed here for business. The hotel is conveniently located next to the University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital campus. Of course, it's in a bad part of town, but you expect most major hospitals to be in these urban settings. Either way, I felt safe in the hotel as there were many travellers staying overnight to be taken by shuttle to the Port for cruises ($5 fee). There are also complementary shuttle services to the hospital and airport; however, you must reserve in advance as the seats fill up fast! I actually rented a car and parked in the gated parking garage with room key access for $13/night (in & out privileges included).

My room was facing the highway, which was audible, but I'm used to sleeping in big cities and blocking out the noise. If you are sound sensitive or a light sleeper, I recommend bringing earplugs or trying to get a room on the other side of the hotel. Otherwise, the room was okay. I had two queen beds and a sofa. I checked the sheets of the first bed and noticed that there was a red-brown stain about 2 inches in diameter on the mattress cover that I could see through the fitted sheet. So, I chose to sleep in bed #2, which had no stains. The sheets smelled of Febreze and were clean. There were some stains on the green carpet, but this is expected as there is a high turnover of guests that bring food in their rooms and accidently spill their coffee, etc. The bathroom was clean (towels, sink), although the tub did have some trace black grime on the bottom were the grip pattern is located. You usually should wear your shower sandals/shoes in public baths anyway and you'll be fine. The shower head was fabulous--the water pressure was strong and had good hot water but you can choose to have a cold shower as Miami is hot and humid! (And don't worry--the air conditioner is good and can handle the humidity.) The toilet is clean and in a separate room from the shower, equipped with a small sink, too. If you are sensitive to smell, you can just catch a slight whiff of septic backup/sewage, but you don't smell this when you shut the door and go back to your bed.

Breakfast was like any other continental buffet services--lots to choose from and certainly not gourmet but quick and easy for those of you on the go.

What I liked best about this hotel was the 2 guest computers (+ a printer) that you can use for internet access (15 minute courtesy limit, but if no one is around, you can use it for longer--the page does refresh every 15 minutes though, for security purposes, and restarts Internet explorer). Unfortunately, the Internet explorer on these computers is version 6, which is not compatible with many sites. You can check your flight status, email or facebook account without any problem. I recommend you not use your credit card unless you have to as there is no menu function to erase cookies, files, etc. The internet program says "secure" because it claims to erase your information after each 15 minute session, but you can still see the website history in the address bar.

This hotel is good for its location and for a one to two nights stay. If you need long term stationing because of the nearby hospital, it's good for that too as it appears that this hotel is one of the better in the area for that necessity. I must mention that even at the discounted rate of $109 + tax from the University of Miami, it is a little pricey for what you get. Essentially, you're paying for the convenience of location. Otherwise, if you're going to Miami beach, I would look elsewhere.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Thomas L, Manager at SpringHill Suites Miami Downtown/Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Reviewed November 18, 2011

I had to work in Miami at a big firm in the buliding next to the Intercontinental at One Chopin Plaza. They were full and could not take me - and so my luck began...

The hotel looks new and it is fresh and CLEAN. And the staff are so super - especially Leandra!

My room was large and had a COMFY King bed and a neat sitting area from which you can actually watch the big TV with a nice couch and a very ample work desk with all the necessary connectors PLUS free wifi. The room also had a mini-bar area with microwave, coffee maker, and a little refrigerator. You can also easily watch tv in bed.

The fact that the toilet has its own area with sliding door AND a little handbasin was a nice touch, and the shower area with huge counter and hand sink was spotless, and really nice. Shower has glass doors and a good showerhead which is adjustable.

There is a 24 hour complimentary coffee/tea station with caf/decaf and hot water and black AND herbal teas. There are complmentary guest computers from which you may print without cost. There is a cool little pool in one area and in another, a sun lounge area for smokers outside.

Breakfast is included and ALWAYS has eggs and a breakfast meat, hot oatmeal, four or five cereals and cold milk, 2 kinds of yogurt - Activia and Fit and Light, 3 kinds of bagel, plain, multigrain and cinnamon raisin, 2 kinds of little muffins, English Muffins, and other breads, apples, bananas and 2 kinds of waffle mix and waffle irons to make your own. plus apple/orange juice.

The 1311 restaurant is not a big menu - but the WINGS are MAJORLY good, as is the Black Bean soup, the 1311 burger, the sweet potato fries and the spring rolls and several great salads.

It also has a great in- house market with a frozen food section with personal Digiorno pizza, Lean cuisine, and Souffers entrees and ice cream, and another cooler full of beers, sodas, teas, juices and gatorade. It has Mac and Cheese and Chun noodles, and soup mixes as well as granola, trail mix and healthy snacks as well as junk! They also sell little packs of tums and other necessaries. Prices are reasonable.

The neighborhood is not the best, but neither are you in a ghetto, and its SO NICE INSIDE, that you forget the outside world exsists...

I will stay AGAIN and again, without any doubt...

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher floors and away from the elevators.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Thomas L, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Miami Downtown/Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Thank you for your kind words, I'll be sure to share them with our teams, and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed November 18, 2011

My uncle has been in jackson memorial hospital for six months and my aunt needs to be near him. Marriott ha become her home and I'm forever grateful for the wasy the staff has treated her since most of our family is in nyc. I was there last weekend for the second time and once again you guys are great

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Jewels68_11

Reviewed November 15, 2011

I can not say enough nice things about this hotel. I do a lot of research on hotels before I decide on a place to stay. I had initially chosen another hotel for our pre/post cruise stay, but saw this one on tripadvisor and decided to make a last minute change. I am so glad I did! The hotel is so clean, and when I say clean, I mean clean. Upon entering hotel rooms, yes I am a freak, I look under mattresses/pictures for evidence of bed bugs, corners of showers for mold, and for cockroaches. All I found was a tiny bit of mold in the shower which is to be expected.
The mattress was so comfortable, I think I slept better at this hotel than I do at my own home, I only wish I would have remembered what brand it was.
The breakfast was complimentary and it was excellent. They had a variety of foods to choose from.
The shuttle service was also a plus. We were picked up at the airport in a timely fashion after our flight. We also used it to go to the Port of Miami. The first night we stayed, I didn't realized we had to "reserve" the shuttle for our afternoon transport to the Port, so when we went to down to the main desk that morning, the shuttle service was fully booked. The lady at the desk had us wait for Luis (I think he was the manager of the shuttle service) and he so kindly fit us in and took us to the Port. He was very kind and treated us very nicely. He also gave us some good advice on the way to the Port in regards to safety on our cruise.
We also relaxed outside by the pool. I didn't actually use the pool, so I don't know how the water was, but the only negative thing was that it was a little loud with emergency sirens/traffic and we even heard chickens outside by the pool.
The water in the shower could have been warmer. I'm used to hotter water, but this is only a petty thing.
I never seen any restaurants close to the hotel, but I didn't get out and walk the block either.
Anyway, the is the best hotel I have ever stayed at and the price is reasonable for everything you get. Oh yeah, they also let us check in 1 1/2 hour early without any problems because I had made an error on our flight home.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank houndnurse1970

Reviewed October 9, 2011

We stayed here on three different occasions to visit a relative in Jackson Memorial Hospital. They give a wonderful discount to visitors to the medical campus and to out-patients staying in the hotel. They provide free shuttle service to the Jackson medical campus and to the Port of Miami. The venue is new, spotlessly clean, and the rooms are spacious with microwave, fridge, and wide, flatscreen TV. One reviewer wrote that it is "run down" and the room smelled of smoke. Nonsense. He may be a competing hotelier trying to bash this fine hotel for his own gain, but whatever his motivation his comments are completely fictional. Another reviewer said it is in a bad area. We walked back and forth to the hospital every day and never had a single worry. A great place to stay!

Room Tip: They are all great rooms. We stayed in three different rooms. Try the University Restaurant a short walk away. Good Greek and Italian food.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family