“Poor customer service from hotel manager, Joe/Beware of cancellation policy”
Review of Hotel Urbano

Hotel Urbano
Ranked #60 of 125 Hotels in Miami
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I was excited to stay at this hotel given the positve reviews found on this site. Unfortunately, I came down with the flu the night before my stay. I called to cancel the reservation and was told that I would have to speak with the manager about the cancellation fee. I thought for sure that given the circumstances this wouldn't be a problem. I called back on Monday and spoke with the hotel manager, Joe. Joe said that he was not willing to waive cancellation fee (equal to the room charge for 2 nights) even though my late cancellation was due to an unexpected illness. I would have no problem paying the fee if I had to change my reservation for something within my control, but was appalled by the lack of consideration shown by the manager.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank Ian P
Urbano33129, Director of Sales at Hotel Urbano, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. We're sorry we were not able to waive the "no show" fee that was assessed to you in this situation, we did have your room held all night for you. According to our cancellation policy your reservation was cancelable up until 48 hours prior to check in, which did not happen. We hope that should you have an upcoming visit to Miami scheduled, you will consider staying with us.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

We stayed at Hotel Urbano for one night - we arrived late and just needed a place to crash before driving to the Keys. The staff was very friendly; the valet guy even told me where I could park my car on the street for free. I would stay at Hotel Urbano under similar circumstances in the future.

The only minor inconvenience that we encountered was that the first room they gave us keys for was occupied. We had trouble getting the door to open, but once we did, there was a very startled man who was in the heat of passion with himself at the foot of his bed. Poor guy is never going to enjoy an intimate moment to himself without thinking that strangers are going to burst into the room.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EscapeTheCity11106

Thanks so much for the review, we're glad that you liked our little boutique hotel. We were surprised to hear of unfortunate situation that occurred, our General Manager has already been in in touch with you directly regarding this matter.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

Stayed at this hotel the night before our cruise and thought it was very nice. I knew from reviews that it was out of the way but it honestly didn't matter because the free trolley had a stop right across the street and was extremely easy to use. The area was pretty for a morning walk/run. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. The property was very pretty and well maintained. The room was also comfortable and clean. It was convenient to have a bar/restaurant on site. We also enjoyed the pool area. I feel very comfortable recommending this hotel to visitors.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Urbano33129, Director of Sales at Hotel Urbano, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Thanks so much for your review! We hop your cruise was fantastic and so glad your one night stay with us was a great experience - we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed January 15, 2014

Booked this hotel with hotel tonight for a last minute getaway to the Miami area. I chose it because the reviews were pretty good and I wanted a hotel close to the Brickell area.
Check in was slow - there was only one employee and she had some issues with the guest infront of us, so we had to wait until they got it figured out. The room was ok. Clean and comfy bed, the bathroom was handicapped accessible and when you take a shower the whole room is under water, the exhaust fan did not work, so no way for the air in the bathroom to get out, except through our room. The location is not too bad, if you have a car. Or you can take the Trolley. Valet Parking is $30/night although they have a large parking in the back, that could easily be used as self parking.
The pool area was small.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bellalinchen

Thanks for taking the time to review your latest stay with us - we're so happy you were able to find us on a site like Hotel Tonight. For your next visit, please be sure to book a standard room instead of an accessible room - this way there will be a regular shower and not one meant for guests in wheelchairs. We would be happy to assist you in making your reservations in the future. Just drop us a note at reservations@hotelurbanomiami.com

Reviewed January 11, 2014

Stayed for 4 nights ahead of a cruise and the hotel is great but the location is testing. The rooms are clean and pool area is superb. Pity the weather didn't allow more use of it during our stay there.
However, the isolated location means if you don't have a car, you have to organize transport to get anywhere, such as restaurants - although the hotel's simple dining menu is adequate and offers good quality food. Thank heavens for the free trolley into Miami, that stops right outside the door every 20 minutes (approx.).
Our room overlooking the pool was an adequate size and a nice position. Drawer and hanging space is very limited. Public indoor areas were OK - just a bar, dining area and some seating in the lobby. As I said, the outdoor pool area makes up for this.
The staff members were friendly and I especially I want to commend the helpfulness of the operations manager to find out from USPS why a parcel, that should have been delivered for me, had failed to arrive.
A very small thing that shows me (as a Brit who doesn't see many good service levels at home) that the hotel tries makes an effort to please, was the 3-times-a-day change of elevator rug (for Brits - that's the mat in the lift!) to offer a timely welcome message!

Room Tip: Pay more for a room that overlooks the pool
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Old_Happy_Wanderer
Urbano33129, Director of Sales at Hotel Urbano, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Thanks so much for your review - we're glad you enjoyed your stay and hope the next time you are in Miami we will have the opportunity to host you again!

Reviewed January 1, 2014

What I really loved about Hotel Urbano is the artwork surrounding you, and the ultra-friendliness of the staff. Everyone, from manager to valet, were ultra friendly and accommodating. Their are a few quirks that kept it from being an excellent stay, mostly the fact that the valet service never really knew what room we were staying in; each time we asked for the car, it was an adventure seeing how long it took them to find the right one. I am not sure why this wasn't fixed the first time around. With a large parking lot out back, I am not sure why they can not include the parking as part of your stay. I liked our location, as it was an easy free trolley ride to Brickell village, and so close to little Havana and key Biscayne, but nothing is in walking distance, so I wouldn't stay here without a car.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ExperienceFLX
Urbano33129, Director of Sales at Hotel Urbano, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Thanks so much for your review - we're very happy to her you found our staff friendly and accommodating and the location to be a great on for your visit. I will pass along your notes about the confusion with your car to the valet manager and see if we can work on that. WE hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed December 27, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at this hotel on a recent business trip.My accommodations had been booked by the company I was going to be working for the following day as an independent contractor. I was not prepared for the luxury of this hotel, as my previous accommodations at other hotels that have been booked for me we're just mediocre.I was greeted for valet parking when I pulled up. My bags were carried in for me.Check in was quick and easy. My room was large and spaceous,stocked with personal amenities in the bathroom including a gorgeous white terry cloth robe!
I had dinner outside by the pool. It had a Arabian nights feel to it with the surrounding cabanas with plush seating, gorgeous wall waterfall, and flaming fiery pit.The food and service were excellent and the atmosphere was just to die for!
Nelson at the front desk was extremely helpful to me.We struck up a conversation and I discovered he was from Colombia.I had a trip planned to Columbia for a medical mission trip and Nelson share tons of valuable information with me.He even called his mother to get the name of a couple of shops for me.I will always appreciate to the extent he went to help me.
For outstanding services and personal care that I received, the atmosphere and cleanliness of this hotel in my book it gets a five star!

with my bag

• Stayed: July 2013
Urbano33129, Director of Sales at Hotel Urbano, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Wow - what a fantastic review! We're so glad you had such an amazing experience....especially having dinner outside by the pool and fire pit - it's such a great space! Nelson is a great asset to the team and we will certainly pass along your kind words and praises.