“lovely place, but out of the way” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Urbano

Hotel Urbano
Ranked #45 of 120 Hotels in Miami
Singapore, Singapore
“lovely place, but out of the way”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

Stayed in Hotel Urbano for two day in May with two other friends. The hotel was obviously new, well furnished and well-maintained. The beds were large enough and very comfortable and the bathrooms were clean with fresh towels provided everyday. The safe provided was an added bonus. Most importantly, free wifi was provided, and for those without a laptop/smartphone, there is always there are computers on the first floor available for use. The Mary Brickell Village was considerably nearby and does have a collection of lovely eateries.

However, I would not recommend this hotel for its location. Although it is situated in downtown miami, it is not within walking distance to anything nearby. We did not rent a car and was thinking of traveling around by the metrobuses or trains. However, that did not work out and we ended up taking taxis around due to the irregularity of the public transportation.

Also, the hotel staff (especially the front desk), were not particularly knowledgable about the area. We noticed that there were bus stops just outside of the hotel, however when we asked the staff at the front desk about it they claim that they do not know about it. Also, there was a humming sound on and off, possibly from the pipes, which was rather distracting to fall asleep to. (we were situated on the third floor..)

Otherwise, the nice room aside, the food was also great and we received excellent service from the waiter at the Bistro (i think his name was aaron..) and the pool area was lovely as well (do beware of the mosquitoes in the summer though).

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank cheryltoh
Urbano33129, Director of Sales at Hotel Urbano, responded to this review, June 13, 2011
Thank you for the review and photos! Aaron will be so glad you enjoyed our little Bistro.

We're big fans of the Mary Brickell Village shops and restaurants and are partnered with several for discounts and even free appetizers or drinks. In the center of downtown there are many public transportation options including the Metromover but we are located just outside of the hustle and bustle of Brickell’s financial district.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

I am going to stay there on June, booked the hotel because of the good reviews, but found out later, that they charge $24 for the valet parking, and also, after calling the frontdesk, they informed me that they want charge about $7 A NIGHT to keep packages sent to the hotel before the guest arrives.
This is the first hotel EVER that charged me for something like this!

I'm not from the USA, but I travel often to Miami. I stay for like 2 or 3 days, so everything I want to buy, I have to buy from the Internet and get it delivered to the hotel, because I have no time to go out and buy it.
If they want to charge for something like that, I'm definately not staying there again. And I would not recommend for people that does the same.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank lcosta27
Urbano33129, Director of Sales at Hotel Urbano, responded to this review, June 6, 2011
Thank you for your comments. Please accept our apologies for the incorrect information regarding recieving packages that you were given. In fact there is no charge for recieving packages and we look forward to welcoming you later this month. Safe travels!
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

My girlfriend and I spent Memorial Day weekend at Hotel Urbano and overall were quite happy with our accommodations. Rooms were very clean and well-maintained, our king-size bed was quite comfortable, and staff was universally polite and courteous. I would gladly recommend it to my friends.

The business center was really just two desks against a wall with two computers and two printers, but the technology was current and useful since I had to work a bit from the hotel.

Valet parking seemed a bit steep at $24 a day plus tax and tip, but I don't really know what is normal for Miami (this might be quite reasonable).

Finally, while the hotel is located in a good central location, it is not really within walking distance of anything except perhaps Vizcaya Gardens (which is beautiful and worth visiting). I think you really need to rent a car, which we did. It's easy enough to drive to Key Biscayne, Miami Beach, and Coral Gables.

Only one small nit - for some reason (which I still can't figure out), the bathroom light simply would not turn on during the night unless the main room light was on as well. Since one of us was generally sleeping during this time, we basically had to get used to using the bathroom in the dark. I don't really understand why this happened.

Overall an excellent stay and I probably will go back here when I return to Miami.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank reaisda
Urbano33129, Director of Sales at Hotel Urbano, responded to this review, June 1, 2011
Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a nice and thoughtful review of our little hotel! We are glad you enjoyed your visit and that you got a chance to visit Vizcaya, it's a really beautiful part of Miami... I apologzie for the issue with the light - I am going to pass your comments on to our engineering team to look into today. We hope to see you back again soon!
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

stayed at the Hotel Urbano before and experienced once again a consistently high level of professional services and accomodations! great cocktails food and service! not always the case , esp. in Miami!
have recommended it to friends and they agreed!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Urbano33129, Director of Sales at Hotel Urbano, responded to this review, May 30, 2011
We thank you kindly for taking the time to write a review on your most recent stay with us - also thank you for returning once again and being a loyal guest to Hotel Urbano. We appreciate it!
Gloucestershire UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2011

We arrived at the Urbano at 10am after a very early flight from New York. Having emailed the hotel before our trip to inquire if they had a luggage store (prompt helpful reply) we arranged to leave our luggage and return at check in time. As we were very tired after flying from the UK the previous day, we were offered a room there and then. We decided however to wait for a room with a balcony.
The room was spotlessly clean with all the amenities advertised.
Some previous reviews stated the pool was small. The hotel itself is not large so the pool size is more than adequate for the amount of guests staying there.
The staff are very polite, helpful and nothing was to much trouble. Breakfast menu is varied, reasonably priced and enjoyable. Evening menu was ok, we ate in the hotel the first evening but found nicer restaurants near by.
The location of the hotel is a little out of the way, nesesetating taxi rides to most places. The Mary Brickell Village is within walking distance and has some very nice shops and eateries.
Overall our stay was very enjoyable and I would recommend the Hotel Urbano to anyone wishing to stay in Downtown Miami.

Room Tip: We found the cheapest rate was booking with the h.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Urbano33129, Director of Sales at Hotel Urbano, responded to this review, May 27, 2011
Thank you kindly for taking the time to write a review for your recent stay with us. I am so glad to hear you had a great experience and that we were able to accomodate you after your long flight. Also glad you found Mary Brickell Village - next time you are there, if you simply show your Hotel Urbano room key at several of the shops you will recieve a discount! Safe travels and thanks again!
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

We stayed for 2 nights before getting on a cruise. The room was OK though there was a constant buzz so I slept with ear plugs.

The location is remote so you need a car though you can walk to the metro.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
Urbano33129, Director of Sales at Hotel Urbano, responded to this review, May 24, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel - we hope you enjoyed the stay enough to return to visit us again sometime!
Vancouver
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2011

A beautiful hotel although somewhat remote - Upon arrival, staff was attentive and helpful. The room was very attractive and comfortable. The TV was limited to a few channels with no movies - I really expected with this level of interior decorating and details of comfort that this service (pay per view etc) would obviously be available. High speed Internet was working fine. The good feeling ended when I went to the restaurant - I had arrived late and was tired from a long trip, not wanting to take a cab to go out - The server didn't know if you could order the lunch menu after 5 and I had to go and ask the cook myself. Realizing that I was not going to get any service from the restaurant's staff, I decided to head for the bar where I ordered a simple burger and fries from the menu that I picked up and wasn't offered- The barman was very professional and after a couple of drinks, the food arrived. The cook managed to deliver a super dry piece of meat with soggy fries that were cooked in luke warm oil - Next day, breakfast same again, lousy service and terrible food.
Management must be blind not to see that real croissant (Chez Paul Bakery) and some fresh squeezed orange juice, not the stuff called "fresh squeezed" out of a bottle would go such a long way to get repeat customers. I would like to come back to this hotel, but as it stands, I will not.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank JeanMichel
Urbano33129, Director of Sales at Hotel Urbano, responded to this review, May 17, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay with us... we sincerely apologize for the less than stellar expierence you had at Bistro Urbano - the quality of food and service you describe is certainly not a norm for us or what we want our guests to leave having experienced. Your comments will be passed onto our Executive Chef today. I am glad though that you enjoyed the propety itself and the decor and hope you will be back.