“Excellent Little Hide-a-way”
Review of Area 31

Area 31
Reserve with OpenTable
Area 31 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 4,189 Restaurants in Miami
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Breakfast, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Brickell Ave
Transit: Miami Metro Mover drop off two blocks from restaurant.
Description: Chef Driven. Ocean Inspired. Local flavor. We have a unique perspective here on the 16th floor, allowing us to see everything that makes Miami famous. Then we hand it to Executive Chef Wolfgang Birk to make into something even more remarkable. Area 31's panoramic vistas provide the wow factor, but Chef Birk's elegant yet approchable cuisine draws full attention to the plate, as avid diners anticipate what his worldly influences and fresh inspiration will cook up next. Keeping it fresh is a big part of Area 31, and that includes sourcing ingredients from our favorite local vendors. While it's preferable to come here hungry, we're always happy to share the view with you over cocktails and people-watching from our spectacular outdoor Terrace Lounge. Habitually innovative, often breathtaking and always welcoming, Area 31 is here to make sure you're never more than an elevator ride from a singular Miami experience.
Homestead, Florida
“Excellent Little Hide-a-way”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

We had dinner and it was great. The service was impeccable and the view wasn't what we expected it was still very nice. We choice to have the specials of the day, both were fantastic. It was Friday and they do have a very busy happy hour, so if you don't mind the crowd outside doing their things and you enjoying a top notch meal inside, please come to Area 31 and ask them about the name!

Visited October 2013
Megan R, General Manager at Area 31, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Thank you, Oscar! We appreciate you helping spread the word about Chef Wolfgang Birk's new menu!

Los Angeles, California, United States
“Always awesome”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I've been here quite often and I'm always thrilled to come back everytime. All told it is good, no more to say when something is good, less is more.

• Visited September 2013
Megan R, General Manager at Area 31, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
I'll keep our response short, too: THANK YOU!!! See you again soon!
Ft. Laud, Florida
“Look at my photos !”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Assuming that I get my photos correctly uploaded (which is not easy for some people), the view alone is worth a visit to Area 31. Especially if you are an out-of-towner, go and take your own photos of the view and make everyone back home jealous.

But the view is definitely not the only reason to visit.

We've been dining at Area 31 for several years and it's among the select few upscale restaurants in South Florida where I would bother spending my money. Somehow this management has put together a complete package of food, service, and ambiance that rates highest marks.

It just re-opened after being re-modeled and hiring a new Chef. We were a bit apprehensive about trying it again....as we liked the old version so much....and we were hoping it hadn't been spoiled by "improvements".

We were delightfully surprised.

Best part is the new Chef who is clearly putting the emphasis on the quality of ingredients and food sourcing.

For starters, the manager suggested we share an order of the lamb and pappardelle. The seasonings were perfectly done. It was just right for 2 people to share as a starter....an interesting alternative to the usual soup or salad.

We keep coming back for the fish which is what Area 31 is basically known for. This new Chef is a master at getting the temperature and texture exactly right. I had the seared snapper and my husband had the seared flounder. The outside was perfectly seared while the inside was moist and "fluffy". We had our choice of 4 different light sauces to go with the fish. We both chose the lemon sea salt. But the manager kindly let us try the others and each one was a winner.

What I think a lot of people will like is that you can order a piece of fish that is PLAINLY "seared" or grilled and THEN pick from a variety of light sauces to go with it. This is what we did. I know a lot of people like us don't care for fish preparations with all sorts of unknown ingredients and gloppy sauces piled up on top....what I call "vertical food" !!

So I think they'll be happy to see SIMPLE choices of QUALITY seafood at very reasonable prices, considering the unique setting. But for those who like something more daring, those choices are on the menu as well....like lobster ravioli.

It is important to save room for dessert. You can choose 1, 3, or 5 small bites from a variety of desserts. We picked 3 each. Well worth the sacrifice in calories. Very luscious.

I have to say the wine list is also very reasonably priced. There were many excellent selections in the lower price ranges. Geno, the manager, is very knowledgeable and will help you make the right choice.

I can't emphasize enough how a dining room staff can determine the results of an evening out. You could not find a staff more gracious and helpful than at Area 31...starting at the first welcome. After all, this is the hospitality industry! We go to so many upscale restaurants where management and staff show so little thought about attitude and hospitality. You won't find that problem at Area 31. There's definitely been a lot of training in those skills.

Getting back to my photos, if they are not online when you read this, I am still working on it. We had an unbelievable table for 2 on the 16th floor terrace overlooking downtown Miami and Biscayne Bay. The photos show exactly what our view was from our table. Quite a backdrop!

But I suggest you get there yourself and take your own photos.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank pacosmom
Megan R, General Manager at Area 31, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
It is such a lift for us to read this! It truly warms our heart to know that we are as special to you as you are to us! Hope to see you again soon!
Miami, Florida
“Ain't what it used to be”
Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

Went there today for brunch. No brunch. Lunch only. Chicken sandwich was deli sliced and avocado spread versus fresh avocado. Very disappointing food but service still top notch. We are taking our Sunday brunch business to The Intercontinental. Epic really screwed up what was a great thing at Area 31.

Visited October 2013
Megan R, General Manager at Area 31, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
We greatly appreciate you trying us out again, and will take to heart your comments. We miss our brunch, too! Look for us to launch our brunch menu soon. In the meantime, we always have fresh avocado available as an option instead of the goat cheese/avocado spread and will use your frank feedback as a tool to make sure we are communicating that properly to our guests. I hope you try us out again soon, and feel free to reach out to me directly to make sure your brunch goes flawlessly. megan.ratti@area31restauarant.com.
jamaica
“Stopping by was a treat!!”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

My girlfriend and i happened to stop over at the Epic and did have a ball! The hotel is very modern contemporary and very comfortable. The view was the best!! A great place to eat and mingle with friends.

• Visited September 2013
Megan R, General Manager at Area 31, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
So glad you enjoyed your visit! Hope we see you again soon!

Been to Area 31? Share your experiences!