“A good, but pricey mexican restaurant”
Review of Cheen Huaye

Cheen Huaye
Ranked #140 of 4,251 Restaurants in Miami
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
The Villages, Florida
“A good, but pricey mexican restaurant”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

After reading the reviews, we arrived with high expectations. It would be too harsh to say that we were disappointed, but we certainly were not blown away either.

The proprietors are very welcoming, and the food rates a solid 'good'. I have to respectfully disagree with those who think this is the best mexican restaurant -- even in Miami, an area not known for its mexican food, you can find better. I found most of what we ordered uninspiring.

I also do not think that the price point is warranted. This is one of the most expensive mexican restaurants I have eaten at -- in Miami or elsewhere -- and I don't think the experience justifies the price. (The place is usually packed, however, so a lot of people apparently disagree with me).

• Visited September 2012

Miami, Florida
“Great service, intimate setting, good Mexican food”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Miami does not have many options for exceptional Mexican cuisine like other cities in the US. Cheen Huaye is a good option and what I love about this place is that is located at a random place, you would never know from driving around unless you are looking for this restaurant. I had the "tulum" salad which was very good and a generous portion (something I like about in my saladas). The chicken had a lime/lemony taste to it and it was perfectly cooked. I love the salsas with chips they serve as soon as you sit down. The service is great, they always attend their guests with a smile on their face (I like that). The restaurant is small so you are lucky to get a table inside but even sitting outside is an enjoyable experience.

• Visited February 2012
Miami, Florida
“Expectations not met ...”
Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

We have been tempted for months to try out the #3 restaurant in Miami, but Cheen Huaye did not pass muster. The setting was plain, the service so-so, and the food was not exceptional. The pork special was the stand out dish, and the margarita was the memorable drink. The Ceviche was way to acidic, and the salsa was flavorless.

Andover, Massachusetts, United States
“Best Mexican Restaurant I've ever been to”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

including Mexico City. This place blew me away. The salsa was authentic and delicious, guacamole fresh, and the MOLCAJETE MARINERO blew me away. The smell of those grilled green onions was fabulous, and the sauce that the fish was in was perfectly delicately delicious. The tortillas yummy.

The servers were very present and helfpul. And they delivered my food without cilantro, which I can't taste properly.

• Visited August 2012
Dania Beach, Florida
“real mexican flavor in Miami, what a great find!”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

So the choices for mexican food in So. Florida are not very appealing. Either go to a more americanized tex-mex restaurant without authentic flavor or try to find a more authentic restaurant but without the modern/clean feel of more upscale restaurants. Cheen Huaye is just the right mix. The place very welcoming and feels modern and clean. The bar looks great and more importantly, the food and flavors are excellent and truly taste more authentic than anything else I've had down here before. We had the canitas and the stuffed poblano and both were just excellent.
Service was quick and efficient, and our food came out very quickly after ordering it.

We'll be back soon to try other things in the menu!

• Visited August 2012

Been to Cheen Huaye? Share your experiences!