Opera Suites & Marina is not a real hotel, just an appartment building that rents some of their suites to ill-advised guests.
We had made a reservation for it at 1800Hotels website. We have relied on the informations provided both on their website and the hotel's website, which state that it is a boutique luxury hotel ("As the most luxurious extended stay hotel in Miami, comfort and convenience is what Opera Suites & Marina is all about. Whether you're looking to spend a few nights-or even a few months-we offer fully-furnished accommodations with the privacy and spaciousness you'd expect in your own home. right here in Miami's happening design district.") .
When we arrived, we immediately saw this was not the case, but we decided to stay, since we had already paid for the whole 4-day stay. But after 2 days we realized that it was impossible to stay in that hotel.
These are the problems we found:
- the place seemed clean, but the carpet on the bedroom was badly stained
- the bedcover was worn out and frayed
- the Venetian blinds were broken and the ropes were tangled, making it difficult to open or close them
- the cookware was stained and dirty
- the closet was big, but had only 2 shelves and a few hangers; the clothes had to remain in the luggage
- the balcony was unfinished, and the floor was just raw cement, dirty and stained
- the bathroom was pitiful, with a small sink and a small bathtube, a burned out lightbulb, but surprisingly a good shower in the bathtube
- the general appearance was that they had started to finish the decoration, but midtime they ran out of money and finished everything with very low-quality materials
- the service was non existent: every demand we made (in writing) - one pillow, kitchen cloths, a new bedcover, more hangers - was not fully complied with and needed to be reinforced several hours later, because they had not yet delivered all the items; in addition, they had no personnel whatsoever and the front desk girl herself had to make some of the deliveries
- on the second day, they changed the bed sheets, but it seemed like they were used ones because, according to the girl at the front desk, "they are not used to iron the bed sheets; they take them off the washing-drying machine and place them directly on the bed" - this is hardly what you would expect from a hotel, let alone a boutique hotel!
- the last drop was the fire alarm: after 7-8pm we started to hear an intermitent whistle that we couldn't place. After some time, we talked to the front desk and were informed that it was the fire alarm. We were actually asked to deactivate it, so that it won't start again, but, as you can imagine, this would be highly hazardous.
Nevertheless, we did as told, but the noise continued. The front desk sent up the security guy, who told us he couldn't do anything and that he would ask the front desk to call maintenance and possibly the fire department. We waited until 01am but the front desk didn't answer, even after we made a new call. The point is, they didn't care. It was impossible to stay in the room because we couldn't sleep (the noise was intermitent) and we were afraid that something might get seriously wrong.
As a result of all this trouble, we were forced to look for another hotel at 01:30am, since we were afraid to remain in that unsafe place, that had also proved not to be a normal and decent hotel.
We paid for 4 hotel nights and had instead a big problem that impaired our sleep, our patience, and our vacation.
We wrote to 1800Hotels, and they offered an apology but, to date, they haven't give us any compensation for this regrettable stay.
Fortunately, we ended up at the Grand Beach Hotel, in Miami Beach, which is a new and wonderful hotel, with a very good management.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire so you can book your Opera Suites & Marina reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Opera Suites & Marina Hotel Miami
- Opera Suites And Marina