“Waste of money”

and up
Go Miami Card
Ranked #97 of 347 things to do in Miami
More attraction details
Owner description: Since 1996, MAM has been a showcase of international and Western art, including photographs, paintings, sculpture and other mediums, from 1940 to the present.
Houston, Texas
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 118 helpful votes
“Waste of money”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

$5 parking and $8 each to see ONE ROOM of art. I say art but there were NO paintings, just a few photos and a couple of abstract pieces. We were out in 10 minutes. Don't waste your money.

5 Thank Victel

Illinois
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Far below expectations - don't bother!”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

After viewing 1 exhibit featuring 1 artist and 3 security guards, I asked if there was a second floor or something else I may have missed. The answer: "No, there was another exhibit but we took it down on Sunday." Oh. I don't know why they bother having this museum at all.

This would have been an absolute waste of my time and money if I hadn't bought a combo ticket for the Miami History Museum.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank RedNailz
Washington DC, District of Columbia
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 124 helpful votes
“Worth A Visit”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

True, the location in what could only be described as a "rundown" part of downtown Miami isn't the greatest of assets of the Miami Art Museum, but on several visits I've found the museum's exhibits quite good. There is a focus on local and Latin artists - mainly contemporary - which I've found very interesting. In fact their current exhibition "Transcultural Pilgrim: Three Decades of Work by José Bedia" was excellent. Sure, you won't see Picasso and Monet here, but if you're at all interested in Miami's local and Latin art scene I recommend a visit. It's quite easy to get to even if the area is a bit sketchy. It's near the municipal courts and police headquarters. Street parking is easy. And in the same complex is a public library that is both a beautiful building inside and has rotating art exhibits of local artists. It too is worth a look see.

Visited August 2012
2 Thank ScottInIndia
St. Augustine, Florida
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We went to this on a combination ticket with History Miami. There were only two temporary exhibitions - both very modern and not very engaging. Obviously, the Wolfsonian is the real broad-spectrum art museum for this area.

Visited August 2012
2 Thank TravelHarp
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Small, 1st floor closed, students admitted free, not impressed”
Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

Exhibit was a bit interesting but rather small...son and I were in and out pretty quickly...discussed a few pieces... After visiting museums in DC and NYC I guess I expected more. Unless there is a specific exhibit I really want to see, I would avoid returning. The best part of our visit to the MAM was the walk through downtown Miami...the shops, architecture, restaurants....

1 Thank mar1234

Been to Miami Art Museum? Share your experiences!