“Could do a lot better” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #66 of 124 Hotels in Miami
Georgia
“Could do a lot better”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2014

Disappointing Residence Inn. The manager can reply to this with the copy and paste "we are undergoing renovations" (thank's Tripadvisor, that really adds to the experience) but this place needed redesigned and then renovated years ago.

Fitness center and pool were both extremely small. There are 5 floors in the main building and a couple of other smaller buildings, the fitness center is smaller than a single hotel room.

Breakfast was good, basically the standard fare. "Managers special" or whatever they call Tues-Thurs meals were hit and miss, nothing I would pay for. Free beer is nice, but I would rather have decent food. I suppose that is subjective.

Rooms were extremely dated. Hampton Inn less than a mile away has free breakfast and free parking and is a better building.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Falqon
Dan R, General Manager at Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Hello Falqon and thank you for your comments and for staying with us. I understand your concerns. Yes, we are currently in the throws of a very extensive and comprehensive renovation. In fact phase one is nearly complete and we are extremely excited. We anticipate being completely done this Fall and are extremely proud of what will surely be an outstanding hotel. The fitness center does have Life Fitness branded equipment complete with 3 treadmills, 2 elliptical trainers as well as a recumbent bike and dumbbells. We do provide 3 complementary hospitalities each week and the menu changes daily as well as weekly. The offerings will change later in the year to give a fresh appeal to our events.

I do hope that you will return so that you may see the changes that we make.

Dan Rutan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2014

Upon our arrival at the Residence Inn C.G., I was helping with the luggage & my husband checked us in. When we got to the room, it was not the King Suite with pullout bed we requested. I called downstairs, and they explained that they had given us the wrong room type. I explained that we had booked a King. She replied that she had the reservation and that's not what we booked. I explained that my husband was on speaker bluetooth in the car when we reserved, and we both know what we booked. She explained they don't even have a King room. I said, "How could you offer a King bed if you don't have it?" She replied, "Well, we have a King, but only in a suite with a pullout couch." I said, "But that's what I said we booked!" to which she replied, "No, you didn't. Besides, we can't give you that room anyway. It's booked." After slapping my head, I gave up for now- we were due to meet the family that asked us to stay at this hotel to be close to them. First, my husband called to ask them why we couldn't connect our wireless devices. They connected us to IT who put us on hold for 15 minutes. He them explained that we had too many devices connected. My husband explained that we had only arrived in the room, and had NO devices connected. The IT guy kept telling us we had to disconnect our extra devices. Again my husband tried to explain, a third time, the IT said the same. My husband was in disbelief at this conversation and we gave up, again, for now.
A few hours later, we called the hotel before we went back to try & resolve the room situation. A man named Corey explained to me that I had booked this room. Again I explained that I would not have booked a double, since we only book King. He was so condescending, it was incredible. I finally asked, "Corey…has reservations at Marriott EVER made a booking mistake? I am just curious." He admitted that yes, they had. So I asked him if it was at all possible that they had made a mistake. He admitted yes, it was. So when I tired to ask him to book us into the correct room, his answer was? (drumroll, please…) "WELL, Ma'am…THIS is the room you booked!" *sigh*... fellow Trip Advisors…I was out of there. Not only are they incapable of customer service, the rooms are sad and small, there was hair in the sink I had to clean out, the halls are drab and dim, and besides the incredible location (which is incredible) , do not expect anything from this hotel. They should take a lesson from Marriott Jacksonville at Mayo that I stopped in recently which was stellar on every level. Better yet, they could take a lesson from the wonderful Hyatt Coral Gables that checked us in an hour later with no hassle, and all class.

Room Tip: Service was so bad, we checked out before staying the night.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank beth s
Dan R, General Manager at Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Thank You for your comments and I am so sorry for the experience you had. I know we have no person named Corey on property so I believe you must have been speaking to central reservations. In any case I do apologize. Please know that we are currently under renovation and I do hope you will give us a second chance. We will be through in the Fall and I an certain you will be impressed.

Sag Harbor, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014

This property is relatively small but laid out nicely, making great use of the limited space. The hotel has a nice pool patio area in the center/courtyard, with BBQ grills available for guest use. Amy and her staff keep the recently renovated property in nice shape.

Keep in mind that street parking is metered or you can pay for overnight parking at the hotel.

The very comprehensive buffet breakfast was terrific. In the evening there were nicely good burgers, salads etc. and draft beer. All of the food was included in the price of the room.

Within walking distance is CocoWalk, an indoor/outdoor collection of shops, restaurants and a movie theatre.

The University of Miami is a short distance down the road. We stayed here when we visited the Miami Seaquarium in nearby Key Biscayne. It was a short 20 minute drive from the hotel.

I would recommend this hotel for business travelers as well as vacationing families.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank LIEast
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014

Extremely disappointing, dirty and overpriced. We were there during Spring Break which explains the high cost. No where near a beach or anything to do except eat and drink. Pull out couch mattress was gross and dirty tissues in bedroom. Asked to be moved and told nothing available. Outside road construction made it dusty and noisy at the pool. Had to go to front desk ask for pool towels and waited forever for them. Having stayed at the Residence Inn in Tucson, this place was a let down.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dan R, General Manager at Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Thank You so much for your feedback and for staying with us.. It appears as though we did not meet your expectations or our own. I do apologize for the lack of service that you received. Please know that we will ensure that we use your comments for further training of our staff. Also please not that our hotel is receiving a very comprehensive renovation that will be finished in the fall and I know that you will be impressed with the finished product.

La Paz, Bolivia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at this property several times over the past couple years and I am glad they continue to renovate. The managers reception is a big positive for this property as well as the location. Some of the rooms are a bit tired but offer decent ammenities. This should be a non-issue as soon as the renovations are complete. The one thing I did not like was the $20 a day parking fee. I did see the managers response to other reviews about the high parking fee, and just because parking in the area is challenging and other places charge a fee does not mean you should as well. What is the point? You are charging the fee because you think you can and you will make a few extra $'s. I think it is too high and I would rather choose a different part of miami than to keep paying that much. On the upside the staff has always been very friendly.

• Stayed June 2014
      Cleanliness
Lakeland, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

We went down here for a concert and our stay was great!!! The hotel doesn't look good from the outside as it has an ugly gray color but inside was really nude. The staff was extremely nice and the rooms were great!!! I would recommend this hotel and we would stay there again!!!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank SAND1998
Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014

A decidedly sub-par Hotel. The Residence Inn in Coconut Grove is a VERY tired old hotel. The elevator is the SLOWEST I have ever had the misfortune to ride and the property is so outdated it is absolutely scary. Furniture is poor, amenities are non-existent, and they charge $20.00 for parking. Do yourself a favor and park 1/2 a block away free. The neighborhoods are very safe and you can avoid the usual Marriott Nickle/Dime Routine.

The young lady who checked me in had trouble finding my name, even after I repeated it 3-times. She was totally out of it and probably was the best they could find. This property is definitely an employer of last resort, not an employer of choice.

Do yourself a favor, pay the extra money to stay at something that meets the Marriott Standards.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere for a good room.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dan R, General Manager at Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Thank You so much for taking the time to review our property. I am very sorry that we were unable to meet your expectations. We are indeed under renovation and are very excited as the finished product will be outstanding. We sure hope you give us another try.