“All the trappings of a high-end boutique hotel but lacking some of the spirit”
Review of Kimpton EPIC Hotel

Kimpton EPIC Hotel
Ranked #12 of 122 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersGold level
Philadelphia
“All the trappings of a high-end boutique hotel but lacking some of the spirit”
Reviewed January 1, 2011

Stayed for 4 days at the EPIC. Nicely decorated, overall very attentive staff, good restaurant, pleasant spa but missing a beat in a whole hearted "guest comes first" attitude. Little things but ... I don't want a hotel employee to intrude into our room-service breakfast in bed to determine the minibar usage nor deal with a snippy hostess in the restaurant when I wish to sit in a place where the bar menu isn't regularly served, etc., etc. In a luxury hotel I expect first class service every time, every place.
The spa is nice (and the treatments were very good) but I've been to others where there was more hands on client care – tea, lemon-water to drink, scented pre & post treatment room with comfy chairs & dim lights.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
seanmckeenmiami, Resort Manager at Kimpton EPIC Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2011
pentimento123:
Thank you for posting your experience with us.
We will be sharing your feedback with the team to drill down on a few of the details which you mentioned; especially the guest comes first attitude.
Sean McKeen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (784)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Espoo, Finland
Reviewed December 30, 2010

My family and I just got back from the Epic in downtown Miami having enjoyed a fantastic 9 day vacation. I am a frequent guest at 5 star hotels in Asia and rate this hotel superior to most of them - it's a true first-class hotel from start to finish! The building has a perfect location in downtown area and presents an ultramodern city skyscraper overlooking Biscayne Bay - with steel exterior and stylish balconies to all rooms. Interior design is Asian style. The lobby is stunning from the very first moment you step inside being high and spacious - and presenting beautiful details: complimentary corner with coffee and tea, fresh water containers with refreshing aromas (starfruits, mint leaves etc), water fountains, and a stylish lounge with chic divans and huge windows to the terrace of the Japanese restaurant Zuma and the Miami River.
The service was second to none. Prior to this visit I have never experienced such kindness and professional touch with customers. We were a family and had booked 3 Club level rooms with a city view. Upon arrival lobby staff greeted us friendly and accompanied us to our private check-in on the 29th floor. Our flight from Europe was massively delayed and our luggage was missing so we arrived exhausted and hungry at a late hour - after long travels. Our hospitable concierge Gene gave us our room keys and assisted with necessary items (toothbrush, razor etc). Then in the lounge we were immediately offered us a glass of wine and beef kebabs - even though the evening food presentation was already over! Gene (the concierge) went downstairs to get some leftovers just for us! What a wonderful service here - thank you so much for this special welcoming gesture! Service was outstanding throughout our stay. The staff and concierges in the Club lounge were all so friendly whenever we saw them. Reuben took a lot of time to locate our missing luggage and took photocopies of papers, wrote a report upon arrival of the luggage etc - thank you so much! Concierges were very helpful and problems with missing luggage really point our why it is great to have such service! The Epic is also gay friendly which is an appreciated touch of tolerance and makes everyone feel welcome.
Our guest rooms were spacious and all-in-all top-notch. Huge beds with soft linens, lots of storage for clothing, minibar, iHome for iPhone docking, ironing facilities, large LCD-TV, private computer with free internet access, wireless internet for free (as we were InTouch members) and guest services information, stylish two sink bathroom with separate bathtub, a separate shower closet and toilet - just to name a few... The balcony had a nice view to nearby towers with some sun in the late afternoon. The skyline at night was amazing. Noise isolation was very good and there was an ice machine right down the hallway. We had requested our rooms next to each other but the concierge could not arrange this as the floor seemed to be quite full for the holidays - this was not a problem though.
My partner and I exercised daily during our stay. The Epic provides a free running map to all guests. The map has 3 routes in Brickell (to the south) which aren't very good - although you get an idea of the area and see some pretty private houses and gardens. There is a lot of traffic and you have to cross streets - and the skyscrapers make the routes quite shady. We ran all three several times but found out the best way to run outside it to take a taxicab or city bus to South Beach and go running there - with plenty of sunshine and pretty beachfront tracks and/or broadwalks. The gym is located on the 16th floor and is very modern with Technogym machines and free weights - each of the machines being equipped with a private TV screen, iPod docking station, joystick control to adjust your speed/pace. A very good gym with the latest machines - and a fantastic view over the residence side pools! The spa is on the 15th floor and has a free-of-charge hamman steam bath and an infrared sauna. The hammam unluckily didn't have enough steam - but looked cool with star ceiling and was very clean. We liked the sauna more - it had a private CD player/radio and you could also turn off the light to relax. The Spa had wonderful amenities (private lockers, towels, rubber flip-flops, hairspray, deodorant, mouthwash, shampoo, conditioner, skin wash etc - all complimentary to guests). The spa was never crowded. The Epic pools are very stylish. Two large pools with water up to 85F, fab views to the bayside, chic sunbeds and polyrattan divans, complimentary suncreens with different protection factors etc. The pooldeck opens at sunrise and closes at sunset. During our stay the pool hours were inconsistent as on some days they opened the deck even before 6.45am, and on some days not until after 7am. As early birds we had to wait behind closed doors and there was so staff around or a telephone to call the front desk. The heater broke down twice during our stay so sometimes the water in the pools was colder which was a minor disappointment. We had luck with the weather. Staying from Dec 20 for 9 days we had sun everyday. Some days were cool due to an arctic blast in Eastern United States with temps dropping at night close to freezing. At daytime it was warm but sometimes the wind felt a bit too cool though. Pooldeck is quite windy on such days.
There is a complimentary wine reception everyday from 5-6pm in the lobby or at the pools. The hotel invites for a glass of red, white or sparkling wine with tuna tartar. A true highlight of our stay was the Club lounge with its extraordinary staff! Thank you so much Lucia, Mark, Oscar, Reuben, Sonja, Raquel, Andrew, and Gene!!! You are the best!! The lounge has 5 different food presentations during the day starting with breakfast from 7 to 11am. Breakfast didn't have much variety but was of a good quality - including bagels and toast, quality cold cuts, cheeses, fresh tropical fruits, muesli and cereals, freshly squeezed orange juice, wonderful organic teas, and coffee. On request we were offered special things like cranberry juice, fresh raspberries and blackberries. Everybody learns your name easily and the service is very personal yet professional. Lucia quickly picked up my favorite tea and kindly brought it to me and always made the mornings special with her warm smile. At daytime you can enjoy yummy canapies such as small pastries, pasta salad, healthy foods etc. Also cookies and sweet cakes. In the evening there are more canapies and sweets, plus a complimentary bar service and you can order cocktails etc. The lounge staff are very courteous. My dad got sick during our stay with a respiratory infection so he was repeatedly offered hot drinks by Mark. I like energy drinks so Mark - again - got some for me - thank you so much for all of this! The lounge is very friendly in design and also good for families with kids - as there is a large iPad like table with games, maps etc. The staff pays attention also to kids. We spent many evenings here - chatting and spending a quality time together. I highly recommend paying the extra for the Club level - it's worth it - especially with the personalized service!
Our stay at the Epic indeed exceeded our expectations. I recommend this property to everyone looking for luxury and quality time with family or partner/spouse, and as a city break away from your daily routines. We were not disappointed (even though the minor downsides I mentioned in the review) at all -but positively impressed - and would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank henri_s
henri_s:
Wow, unbelievable detail.
Thank you for taking a few moments to tell us about your experience with us.
Thank you also for the recommendation; we look forward to your return.
St. Helier, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 30, 2010

Havign arrived at the hotel after taking Tri-Rail from Fort Lauderdale and connecting metro service the front service was none existent. Althoguh I was quite clearly staying pulling a suitcase along, the porters/ concierge were more involved in meeting and greeting the many people arriving for dinner at Zumas in their flashy sports cars, therefore leaving me entering the building in the wrong entrance and taking several extra minutes to check in. However, on check in, Ashley at the reception made me feel very welcome and showed me personally to the lift. A tip if not a regular Kimpton guest. If you are not too concerned about he room type, select the lowest priced room and after confirmation they offer a standby upgrade to superior rooms at 50% discount. This is what I did and enjoyed a great room, with large baclony, overlooking Miami harbour and at small surcharge well worth the extra

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
GaryCI:
Thank you for taking a few moments to comment on your experience with us.
My sincerest apologies regarding your initial arrival experience; we will immediately address these opportunities. I was happy to see that Ashley was able to spend a few additional moments with you and made you feel welcome.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 29, 2010

I flew in to Miami to have a couple days of relaxation with my best friend. That's exactly what we got. The hotel itself is amazing. Its beautiful inside, its very big, yet comfortable and cozy.

Our room was beautiful. We had a balcony with a great view of the bay, the pool and the city, especially at night. The beds were super comfortable, our room was cleaned and maintained perfectly every single day, and everyone was so friendly. The front desk was awesome. They were so helpful and friendly and felt like we've known them for years.
We aboslutely LOVED the pool area. It was so chic and modern and the service there was great. We ordered drinks and food at the pool and it was very good and quick.
We also had dinner at Zuma one night (the sushi restuarant downstairs) We made reservations for the wrong day by accident but they still accommodated us right away. They sat us at the sushi bar which was even better because the chefs were so cool and friendly and kept giving us samples of things to try. The sushi is VERY yummy. It is also a hotspot apparantly because we saw Noami Campbell and her boyfriend, Vlad Doronin dining there that night behind us. There's also another restaurant there called Area 31, heard it was good but we didn't get a chance to try it.

The only downside is the location; depending on why you are in Miami in the first place. We went to South Beach a lot (to meet friends, go to restaurants and clubs), so we had no choice but to take a 20 min cab (about $25 each way). It wasn't the most convenient thing, but we were almost happy to get out of crowded and noisy South Beach and go back to our fanstastic hotel. It made our stay very calm and relaxing. Speaking of relaxing, they have an amazing spa with a beautiful Turkish suana and a great gym with a yoga room. All in all, this hotel is wonderful and is great for people of all ages. They're even pet friendly (saw a cute shitzu during my stay!) :)

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
AnnaAlexKC:
Thank you for taking a few moments to post your experience with us.
Thank you also for all the accolades.
Reviewed December 27, 2010

Stayed at this hotel pre and post cruise November 2009 and could not have wished for anything better, the rooms were spacious and very clean we had a fab bathroom with twin sinks a large walk in shower with a bath tub. You could watch your flat screen Tv from the bath tub as there was a window (minus the glass) that allowed this, there was a blind that you could drop down for privacy over this window. We had Internet access, a fridge that was not locked a decent clock radio with iPod dock. Put it this way I would stay there again in a heart beat

• Stayed November 2010
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel

seanmckeenmiami, Resort Manager at Kimpton EPIC Hotel, responded to this review, December 30, 2010
Indiboo:
Thank you for taking a few moments to share your experience with us.
Thank you also for the recommendation.
Orpington
Reviewed December 23, 2010

I stayed in room 2219 for 5 nights. It was as comfortable as being at home. Massive lounge, bedroom and bathroom. Even had 2 balconies, though sadly time restrictions and cold weather meant I could not make good use of these.
The room had free internet access, including its own terminal, so I was able to deal with all my emails and other tasks from the comfort of my room - I never travel with a laptop - rather than having to go to a business centre.
Every day, between 1700 and 1800, there is a happy wine hour with free wine. Fantastic though it did not seem that well attended. There seemed to be no limits on refills!
The staff were fantastic and do their best to ensure your stay is enjoyable.
The location might not be great, being near downtown Miami but it is easy to get out and about by taxi.
There are two restaurants attached to the hotel: Zuma (Japanese food and seems to be run separately from the hotel) and Area 31 (Mediterranean influence). Both were excellent. It is advisable to make reservations for Zuma as it is very popular.
I was even able to extend my checkout by 1.5 hours free of charge.
I highly recommend this hotel and will definitely try to stay here again when I return to Miami.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
seanmckeenmiami, Resort Manager at Kimpton EPIC Hotel, responded to this review, December 27, 2010
RossOrpington:
Thank you for posting your fantastic experience with us.
Thank you for all the accolades.
We look forward to your return.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed December 23, 2010

Based on previous stays in Kimpton hotels, I was prepared for an excellent experience at the Epic; however, they managed to far exceed my already high expectations. All levels of service were superb and the staff always went out of its way to ensure our needs were met, even before we realized we needed something. Our room overlooked the water, providing us a bird's eye view of the manatees and pelicans plying the river below. The room was quite large and well-appointed; it even included a desktop computer. Room service was timely and professional and the food excellent. The Area 31 restaurant, in which we dined three times, is stellar (see separate review) and rivals many, if not most, of the Michelin starred restaurants in which we have eaten. The location of the Epic is excellent and allows for easy walking to restaurants and shopping. I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough and would actively seek to return.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Frequent_Flier07:
Thank you for taking a few moments to write this incredible contribution.
Thank you also for comparing our restaurant Area 31with some of the great Michelin rated restaurants.
We look forward to your return.