WINNER WONDERLAND

Kimpton EPIC Hotel
Ranked #10 of 124 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersGold level
Sacramento
“Not worth the price, better options exist in Miami...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

From the moment I arrived at the hotel, I noticed the uppity attitude of the front desk. I had just driven 4 hours from Orlando, dressed casually in comfy driving clothes, tired, and anxious to check into my room and rest. But instead, I was forced to wait for 45 minutes until the man and woman (apparently dressed for their appearance the Academy Awards or something) who arrived AFTER me were accommodated and served by both employees at the front desk.

I bit my tongue and went with the flow, until it was my turn to check in. Let me just say that there was a huge, noticeable difference between the way the woman at the front desk treated me vs. the couple dressed in gold lamé with the exotic accent. She didn't even look up from her computer while speaking with me and I SWEAR she looked down her nose at me when she finally did look up.

Anyway, I decided to brush it off and went to my room for a long nap and a bath. Bathroom was very nice, by the way.

The in-room hotel guide stated that coffee would be served in the lobby every morning, but that a one-cup coffee maker could be sent up to the room upon request. So, while I was waiting for valet to retrieve my car, I asked a different staff member at the front desk about the single cup coffee maker, since I like to drink my coffee as I get ready in the morning. She literally looked at me like I was an idiot and told me that I could use the "card on the side table to indicate what I wanted to order from in-room dining, and hang it on the door". Then she turned to the person next to her, smiled smugly, and started talking about something else. Just like that, I was patronized and then dismissed.

I wasn't surprised, given the "warm" greeting I received while checking in, but I WAS puzzled, because this time I was dressed up!

At tvis point, I was beginning to feel like Julia Roberts in "Pretty Woman" and I was ready to throw a wad of cash at someone.

I could go on and on about the snobby attitudes and rude comments that I dealt with (only from the female staff, the make staff - especially the gentleman who worked the valet counter were awesome). Let me just conclude this review by mentioning that 5 star amenities can easily fade into the background when overshadowed by 1 star service from one or two staff members.

At $300+ a night, I expected more from the staff at this hotel. I expected professionalism and friendliness, rather than catty, rude, high-school behavior. Management should invest in some sort of etiquette training classes for these girls. At least then, they'd be able to "fake" being friendly to guests. Especially since the guests are the driving force behind the hotel's reputation and more importantly, staff paychecks.

I will definitely take my business and stay somewhere else during my next extended visit to Miami.
I won't patronize the Epic hotel ever again, thanks to the girls at the front desk.

• Stayed May 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Syrah N
JacquelinePloettner, Manager at Kimpton EPIC Hotel, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Syrah N
Thank you very much for your review. Sorry about the experience you had with the Front Desk, I will absolutely look into it. We do have plenty of coffeemakers available for our guests so I am sorry once again for the misunderstanding. If you would like to give us another chance, I would love to personally ensure that you will be experiencing the EPIC hospitality we are known for.
EPIC wishes, Jacqueline Ploettner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (760)
  • Turkish first
Leicester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Great hotel - located in the up and coming downtown area of Miami. Modern, chic with great service. Valet parking is $37 per night which is steep - but par with Miami (there aren't too many other options). 15 minute walk from the Brickel area and the American Airlines arena (to watch Miami Heat basketball or concerts).

The hotel doesn't charge a resort fee and if you join the "in touch" loyalty programme (online - this is free), you get free wifi and also free $10 credit for the minibar. You can join "in touch' before your stay.

The hotel is home to Zuma - apparently a great restaurant (we didn't eat there). Also lovely pool area, great lobby with comfortable sofas. Lunch at the pool was ok (good service but small portions). Free glass of wine and snacks between 5-6pm daily.

They are great for service. It costs a few dollars to use their business center and printer. I needed it to print Miami Heat tickets - the front desk duly obliged free of charge.

The room was lovely. We stayed in a King premier. The view of the downtown area was nice with a lovely balcony. The bathroom was brilliant.

On the second day we were woken by some banging - this was due to some minor work they were doing on another room nearby. They offered to move us straight away. We declined initially but when it happened again then we did take up the option.

The only negative is the surrounding area is pretty quiet. We did jump in the car a couple of times to go to Coconut Grove area of Miami for lunch. The hotel - as I have mentioned, is great.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank AjayMV
AjayMV
Thank you so much for your review. I am very happy to learn that you enjoyed our location in the up and coming area of downtown. The words you chose "modern, chic with great service" truly describe our hotel I would like to thank you for the recognition.
Please come back soon. EPIC wishes, Jacqueline Ploettner
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I stayed with my family for an impromptu visit during the week!
I called and spoke with the front desk staff and they were able to accommodate my requests with very short notice! They never said "no we can't or we can't do it with only 2 hours until you arrive"! Thank you for exceeding our expectations in all areas!
We will definitely be back, and recommend you to our friends!

• Stayed May 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JacquelinePloettner, Manager at Kimpton EPIC Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Reggie252
Thanks so much for your review and calling us EPIC. Our Front Office staff is known to make everything just happen and I am happy to learn that we exceeded your expecatations in all areas.
Please come back soon.
EPIC wishes, Jacqueline Ploettner
Greenville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

Stayed at the Epic Miami Thursday, May 23rd - Sunday, May 26th 2013. What can i say...it was terrific! Great location; CVS, Starbucks & other stores were all less than a 5 minute walk away, 7 minute walk to Bayside, 8 minutes to American Airlines Arena... Great location! The staff was great as well. Very friendly, helpful & courteous. The room was very nice [#2618] Had a waterfall shower head, spa type tub, double sink & a nice big balcony overlooking Biscayne Bay. Definitely the best Florida hotel I've stayed in before! Only downsides for some would be the $37 a day valet parking (Only option) and the beds were kinda small. Other than that, I can't can't think of anything unfavorable about this place. I will be back!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Reggie252
Thanks so much for your kind words. We are so happy you enjoyed our location, the great staff and most of all the big balcony you will find in all of our rooms. Considering us the best hotel in Florida you have stayed in before is certainly a great compliment.
We can't wait to have you back. EPIC wishes. Jacqueline Ploettner
DeKalb
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

Great room. Good location. The bathroom was beautiful and gorgeous. Nice staff. Great balcony. Excelent restaurant. The concierge service was exceptional! The pool is spectacular and the bar staff was fantastic! Excellent!!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Helen R
Thanks so much so for your great review. I am so happy to learn that you enjoyed everything throughout your stay. Beginning with the location to the room ending with the great service provided by our staff in both hotel and restaurant..
Please come back soon . EPIC wishes. Jacqueline Ploettner
Fort Worth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

My husband & I stayed here for our pre-cruise stay, March 2013, on the NCL Epic. We checked in pretty late and the place was hopping with well-dressed party goers. Our room was one of the best we have ever stayed in. The bathroom & balcony were HUGE and the bed comfy. We did hear some dogs in the hallway, but they were not bothersome, I guess it is a pet friendly hotel. This is the place to stay if you need to stay close to the Port of Miami; it was a $10 cab fare to the port. We did have one little surprise the next morning. At about 10:00 am the hotel had to receive a shipment of goods so they closed the bridge down below & right outside of our window was a helicopter, yes a helicopter. The helicopter would go down get the goods and then he went up & dropped the goods on the hotel roof, THAT WAS COOL!!!! The room was just right & I would not hesitate to stay here again if I was visiting Miami. Happy Traveling!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mrsslovestotravel
mrsslovestotravel
Thanks so much for your review. I am so happy to learn that you had chosen the EPIC as your Pre-Cruise stay. Our bathrooms and balconies are certainly really big and it's great to be recognized.
Please come back soon and you will have the same great ambiance you came to enjoy last time.
EPIC wishes. Jacqueline Ploettner
Carmel, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

For my birthday, I treated myself to an extended vacation at a resort property in Fort Lauderdale. I wanted a change of pace, so I decided to experience downtown Miami during the last couple of days of my trip. I chose the EPIC hotel because of its stellar reputation, and I was not disappointed! Christian at the front desk was the BEST. When he heard that it was my 40th, he went above and beyond to make me feel special and welcome. He upgraded me to a Club Level room with a beautiful view, surprised me with a generous drink credit to use at the hotel bar, and even gave me a certificate for breakfast in the hotel restaurant.

This hotel exudes class and sophistication, and I found most of the staff to be very warm and engaging despite the exclusive vibe. I wasn't there long enough to indulge in amenities, but I was very pleased with the expansive room, which opened to an intimate balcony overlooking the water. The room was modernly furnished and tastefully decorated. I especially loved the contemporary bathroom, which was stocked with high-end hair care and body care products.

My only regret is that I didn't spend more time at this hotel. If I ever return to Miami, the EPIC will be my first choice. Again, kudos to Christian and his team for going the extra mile. I was very grateful for and touched by the VIP treatment I received at the EPIC Miami!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Elle S
Elle S
Thanks so much for your review. At EPIC we love our staff members and are very proud when they are recognized. I have immediately passed on your positive comments to Christian and he was thrilled to hear that you had recognized him. "Warm and engaging despite the exclusive vibe" is what EPIC is all about and we couldn't have said it any better.
Please come back soon. EPIC wishes. Jacqueline. Ploettner