“Looks nice but not kept up to a high standard” 3 of 5 stars

Kimpton EPIC Hotel
Ranked #9 of 121 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago, Illinois
“Looks nice but not kept up to a high standard”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

This hotel is in downtown Miami, along the Bay. Its about a 15 minute cab ride to South Beach from the hotel. Its a nice place for a work trip, which is why I was there, but I probably wouldn't stay there on a vacation. The meeting rooms were nice and the food served at the hotel was good. I have nothing negative to say about either. However the hotel rooms themselves need to be maintained better. My mini fridge did not work, which I found out in the middle of the night when I found myself parched and in need of a cold refreshing drink. The air conditioning in the room also did not work properly. It was always on the warm side even though I turned it down low. It made for some uncomfortable nights. My doorbell frame also fell off the wall when the doorbell was pressed. This did not just happen to my room but also a fellow colleagues who stayed on the same floor. Another annoyance was that there was no computer in the rooms even though it was advertised on their website that each room had one. They told our group that a contract on them had run out and so they were taken out of the rooms. It would have been nice to know this prior to my stay. All in all it was not a terrible stay by any means but I think they really need to manage the maintenance a bit better.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (747)
  • Turkish first
Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

As someone who travels 180+ nights a year this hotel's mismanagement and mean spirited staff are simply shocking.

First, I arrive the hotel shortly before 3pm and the driveway is impassable. To add insult to injury the valets who are retrieving cars cut me off not once, not twice but three times so I cannot advance up the drive. Real classy. Nobody evens blinks at me or offers to help me with bags when I exit my car and while I carry my 3 bags into the hotel. All I had was a valet ticket stuffed in my hand and gruff man tell me in poor English the overnight parking charge is misprinted on the ticket and actually costs $37. Oh the grace...

Second, they inform me they have no rooms ready but some guests get a room as I step away and watch. After 45 minutes and my checking back a few times the issue is resolved.

Departure day I call the valet, retrieving my car was painfully slow to start. The familiar story plays out. Nobody evens blinks at me to offer to help with bags, fine that is now expected. The driveway is jammed that is expected to. THEN ALL HELL BREAKS OUT. The valet retrieving my car cannot open the trunk so he stands and watches me do it. Another colleague then stands next to me as I begin to load my bags, why HELP? Then, the original valet asks if I speak Spanish. I say no. He runs away as he speaks no English. Another colleague then returns with yet a third colleague asking me to go back to the cashier. I say that I have paid and checked out (my Florida resident rate includes parking). He then starts yelling at me accusing me of not paying and will not release my car. I show him my hotel bill. Not satisfied he accosts me further like I am some common thug. I tell him the hotel wasted 45 minutes of my time yesterday, not to mentioned just trying to park. I tell him to get me a manager. The so called manager an unimaginably aggressive and rude person further accosts me and demands I show him the bill I just presented. I tell him I have had enough as 3 valets accost me like I am a deviant thug. I had just paid the prevailing rate that includes parking and they treat me like I am a criminal miscreant. Furthermore, I spent over $700 at Zuma Restaurant on site the night before.

Finally, after detaining me, my car is released and he promises to bill me. Really, I paid the rate!!!

I have never seen such a low class thug minded outfit in my life, in 12+ years of heavy travel and 1000+ hotel stays.

The staff are poorly trained and want not more than to scalp the guests while providing non-existent service. I will add to the rooms have limited soundproofing and I heard all manner noise all night long.

FYI valet also try to upsell nice cars for parking on the parking deck, for an extra $40

This is hotel is an epic failure while utterly hostile with guests, so STAY FAR AWAY. There is a new Marriott across the street, the Conrad, Four Seasons, Viceroy and Mandarin Oriental are all near and all 1000% better.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank FlyOneWorld
JacquelinePloettner, Manager at Kimpton EPIC Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
FlyOneWorld
Thanks for sharing your experience. Sorry about the experience you had with our busy valet and the miscommunication with the Front Desk in regards to the included parking. I will personally look into the issue thanks to your valued comments.
We hope you will give us another chance to demonstrate what EPIC is truly about.
Drogheda
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Stayed 2 nights here in April. Despite the fact we have prepaid for the room it took us over 40 minutes to check in.The hotel does not accept debit cards for some reason. Found the staff at reception incompetent and very unhelpful. Also the walls in the rooms are quite thin so you can hear the adjoining rooms.

Room Tip: Stay in the Marriott!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Iceman200600
Iceman200600
Thanks for sharing your experience. We take honest comments form guests like you very seriously.
We always try our very best to have the room ready upon arrival, so sorry that we were not able to deliver this time. If you would give us the opportunity to come back, I will be happy to guarantee you a smooth check and a quiet room.
EPIC wishes, Jacqueline Ploettner
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel in March and I must say, the experience was fantastic. Unlike many other hotels in the US, this is a new property and the difference really shows. Must also commend the staff for excellent service from the concierge to the servers in the restaurant. Good location, easy to reach the beach with a short taxi ride, all in all a great hotel

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shubhang_23
Shubhang_23
Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I am very happy to learn that you enjoyed our staff and our great downtown location close to South Beach.
Please come back soon. EPIC wishes .
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed here one night before a cruise. The hotel is downtown. It is an ultra modern Japanese inspired design. It is stunning. The rooms are comfortable and spacious. The bathroom was beautiful and very spacious with a water closet, double sink, jacuzzi tub, and very large shower. The pools are gorgeous and warm, and while we were there, live music played poolside. They had very nice pool cabanas for rent. A bar was also very close if you wanted a drink. There was a safe in the room, which alleviates the theft concerns that are often present in Miami hotels. The hotel restaurant was nice and the food was good, though it was overpriced, but that should be expected. It was a little bit of a walk to downtown's central dining area, but we walked it with our 6 year old, so it wasn't too far. The only reason I didn't give the hotel a rating of five is because of two issues we had while staying there. The first was the shower was dirty. The second was that the hotel staff banged on our door over an over, and then called our room at 2 a.m. to give us a mini bar keythat we had not requested. We don't know if it was a prank or mistake, but my daughter and I weren't able to go back to sleep. The next morning we called the manager and he was very apologetic but couldn't refund our room cost because we had booked through expedia. He did comp our meals at the hotel restaurant, though, so we felt like he tried.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the water or the bridge.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Stacie R
Stacie R
Thanks for sharing your experience. I am so happy you enjoyed our downtown location, the design, our lovely bathrooms with double sinks and the pool. So sorry about the the housekeeping opportunity with the shower. I already have that adressed thanks to your valued comments.
Please come back and visit us soon. EPIC wishes,
Turku, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

My GF and I spent a couple nights on Christmas 2012 at the Epic. Great service from the get go with nice and helpful valet and bag boys. We arrived fairly early in the day, so our room was not ready yet. We had to wait for a couple hours, so we went to lunch. A while later we walked back, the man at the reception apologized for the inconvenience and upgraded us to a ocean view room.
Beautiful and clean rooms, with a very nice view of the port and river. Quiet and clean.
The pool area was also beautiful, however, the sun was only there from around noon until 4pm.
As with most US hotels, the restaurant was nothing special. Roomservice was ok, breakfast was ok, and the Christmas dinner buffet on the 25th was ok. Nothing spectacular here.
Check-out was a breeze, but we noticed they charged an extra night, which was easily fixed with a phone-call back home. Human mistake.
The best hotel I have stayed at in Miami and I hope I will have the opportunity to stay there again.

Room Tip: The ocean view is beautiful. Ask to get as high up as possible.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fredde86
Fredde86
Thanks so much for your great feedback. I am so glad you got to enjoy our beautiful clean rooms with great views. We take a lot of pride in our staff and they will be happy to be recognized through comments such as yours.
Please come back soon. EPIC wishes.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Booked this hotel via our company. It is all very nice, fancy. Nothing to push back on (except maybe the music at the pool which was waaaay too loud on saturday afternoon).
The value for money is great.
Given the location it is a perfect place for people coming to miami for business, but for those looking for a holiday place it's probably better to stay in south beach.
Of note:
- large rooms, clean
- nice pool and gym areas

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple