“3 Months at EPIC… It was epic.”
Review of Kimpton EPIC Hotel

Kimpton EPIC Hotel
Ranked #15 of 122 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersGold level
Atlanta, GA
“3 Months at EPIC… It was epic.”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

The mother of all reviews… I basically lived at the EPIC for 3 months while on a temporary assignment in Miami. In a nutshell, EPIC hotel is pretty awesome and a great value for what you get. Yes, it’s somewhat more expensive than the Motel 6, but at the same time, the amenities more than make up for it. They have specials and you can get a room for as little as $199 a night. My company had a discount, so I paid a bit less than that… just keep in mind you pay $36 for overnight parking.

***THE BEST***
Customer Service... The folks at the front desk are amazing. Christian (he’s probably moved to L.A. already), Mari, and Matt went out of their way to accommodate me. Always smiling & always helpful. The bellman are fabulous too! Malik was my favorite… And they let you store your bags for no extra charge if you need. That was HUGE for me, because they kept everything for me while I attended out-of-town meetings. Plus, they let you bring animals, for FREE! Tip: Avoid checking in & out at the main times (long lines). They’re really nice about late check-outs… Ask and you shall receive.

The décor… and ambiance… the place is REALLY NICE. It looks like the pictures. And it’s the “see-and-be-seen” place to be.

The pool area is to die for… The one on the right (as you come outside) is the heated one. All types of lounging chairs, beds, cocoons… pool service is amazing! They have drink specials too.

Happy hour!!!! Let’s talk value again… $5 drinks in Miami… with a priceless view of downtown Miami and the bay… Miami Beach in the distance… It is a VERY happening place. They also have a DJ on Thurs and Fri nights. I think the happy hour is 5-7pm weeknights, but 5-10pm on Thurs & Fri. When I was there they were doing a martini Wed with art show. OH…. And the hotel does a FREE wine hour from 5pm-6pm. Tip: Take 2 glasses so you don’t have to go back down.

Inner Circle Membership… On one hand, I was upgraded a TON and the staff went out of their way to be accommodating. On the other, I wasn’t told everything that was available upfront. I learned as I spent time there… I never met the CEO or had the complimentary meal at the restaurant. Overall, it’s a great thing to have, just wish I knew the details from the beginning. Tip: If you have an extended stay, check-in-and-check-out as much as possible so you maximize the number of nights you earn and get to Inner Circle status faster. And another tip: if you ARE an inner circle member, they will extend your stay at the same price as the original nights…This is helpful when the prices jump.

Gym… It’s pretty respectable for a hotel gym… but the BEST PART OF ALL is the classes you can take at Exhale. I never visited the spa, but they have the most amazing Core Fusion classes. Think pilates meets barre. I am an exercise fanatic, and I swear by the barre classes, particularly with Julie Wiesman. She’s awesome. I wear a heart-rate monitor and in 1 hour of barre, I burn the same amount of calories as I do with push-ups and burpees and intense exercise. Yet, barre is not jarring… Your legs will be shaking, but you’ll develop muscles you never knew you had! Tip: If you’re doing more than 2 classes ($25 each), get the “Week of Transformation” pass for $30 and get unlimited classes for 7 days.

Zuma… one of the best restaurants in Miami. Sweet & Spicy beef melts in your mouth. (to my disappointment it’s not spicy at all, but still one of the most delicious items) Sushi is fresh. Be prepared to wait for a table though! Oh, and not for the budget-conscious. The steak I mention is $34 or so… and that’s just the meat… and the portion isn’t super-size either. It’s worth it, but be prepared. Their cocktails are out-of-this-world. They also have AMAZING virgin cocktails for the kids and those that don’t want to drink… Tip: eat at the bar if you don’t have all night.

***HIT OR MISS***
Area 31… Seafood restaurant… You get discounts if you’re a member of Exhale or for your company, so make sure to ask! The best is the grouper… so delicious with a medley of seafood accompaniment. Best value is the steak… I eat a lot and I couldn’t even finish it. The ceviche is the best I’ve EVER had… and I lived in Spain! What makes it different is the citrus… Instead of lemon/lime marinade (so typical), they use orange or grapefruit which makes it softer and sweeter. Lobster stew was good, but it brings up my pet peeve: they put diced carrots and peas in EVERYTHING. Seriously. Think school cafeteria. The food’s good, but then someone adds the damn peas and carrots when it doesn’t even make sense. I ate there 20 – 30 times, so trust me. It’s weird. I’ve had to return a couple things… undercooked mahi-mahi… gamey “dirty rice…” The customer service was dicey too… the bartenders Johnny and Orieta were great; Gene, the manager was friendly and funny; but the waiters were slow and spacey… I recommend eating at the bar because you get better service. P.S. Try the dirt pie. It’s awesome.

Rooms… Overall, the most comfortable, clean, beds… however, I had some issues. The building is new, but things are already starting to break. I had doors that didn’t close or were really loud… shower issues… random noises from faucets… broken mini-fridge… broken telephone… AC issues… Those things happen and I swapped rooms in order to get upgrades and whatnot. On the other hand… the views are SPECTACULAR. The ocean view is great, but so is the city view. I actually LIKE the city view because Miami is so lovely. I really enjoyed my time in the ‘01 rooms. Great views, spacious, and the tubs are AMAZING! The bubbles come from the bottom, which is unusual.

Room Service… I didn’t get room service all the time, but I’d say it could use improvement. The food was GREAT, but the wait was an hour+ in most cases… For a burger? And sometimes our calls would go unanswered.

Location… It’s not at South Beach. South Beach is a ten-minute drive… I actually think it’s a good thing, but depending on what you’re looking for… Location is PERFECT for downtown. You’ll spend double to be on the beach, just FYI. Taxi is about $25 from the airport to the hotel and $20 to the beach, depending on where you go. Tip: Ask if they take credit card because many are lazy and swear they don’t… but they do. Central Cabs definitely take credit card.

Kyma… Over-rated in my opinion. It’s a very nice ambiance, but nobody really goes there and they charge to get in… Sometimes. And it’s FREEZING in there because it’s often empty.

Elevators on Saturday nights... disgusting. They need to hire someone specifically from 9pm-3am to monitor the elevators and prevent drunk people from throwing stuff all over the place. The hotel is a happening place, so I understand, but c'mon! Elevators get gross. Oh, and the key is forever annoying... If you accidently place it by the cell phone, it deactivates... Tip: If someone else has a key and you're still rummaging for yours, just press your floor after they've entered theirs... and as long as you're not on 29 or 30, that gives you time to find it.

***FAIL***
Parking… Bless his heart, Wilson, the manager tries SOOOO hard to get it together. I found it ludicrous nothing official was done for the 3 months I was staying at EPIC. I was expected to pay $36 a night, for the overnight parking. There are all types of prices for parking. $36 for hotel guests. $18 for restaurant/pool/visit/etc… ($13 with validation)… $5 if you go to Exhale and get validation… Anyway, the point is… Wilson helped me out when I was able to find him, but if he WASN’T around, I had to argue with everybody and explain the situation… x 3 months. I ended up renting a car only on weekends, but that was sorta inconvenient, but saved tons of money on parking. Also, I have no idea why… but no matter the time of day, I waited a LONG time for my car. Even when I was the only one there… Expect 20 minutes. Tip: If you’re a hotel guest, call down way ahead of time.

Obnoxious a-holes… Since it’s the place to be, it can attract all kinds… Kim Kardashian anybody? Anyway, in 3 months someone set off the fire alarm at 3am twice. I don’t know if that’s good or bad statistically speaking, but the only thing that infuriates me is messing with my sleep.

Patio Furniture… yes, this gets its own category because it messes with my sleep. I was up until 4am one night because someone above me kept moving their patio furniture around all night… I called maintenance (“engineering”) and they couldn’t identify the problem. Dragging metal furniture on tile makes noise. Pray you have quiet neighbors upstairs! Oh, and the patios are filthy… like black soot… because nobody ever cleans them. Tip: If you plan to hang out on the patio at any point (recommended), request cleaning/mopping.

***OVERALL***
Like I said, it’s a GREAT value… You’ll be staying at one of the hottest hotels in Miami. It’s not on the beach, but it’s in Downtown, on the river… close to Brickell and all that fancy-pants stuff. It was my home-away-from-home… I love the place, even though I was super-critical. Half of people’s experiences are chance… Sometimes everything goes perfectly and other times not at all. Compared to all of the other hotels in the area, EPIC IS THE BEST. Feel free to contact me if you want more info, although I think I've said plenty!

Room Tip: Water's technically "better" but the city views are nice too! I prefer higher rooms...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
JacquelinePloettner, Manager at Kimpton EPIC Hotel, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
maryann617
Thank you so much for your extended feedback and for having been a loyal "longstayer" with us. We are truly thrilled that you had a great time with us and got to know some of our amazing Front Desk agents such as Christian, Mari and Matt.
We can't wait to have you back for your next stay! I promise you that we will be meeting!
EPIC wishes.
Jacqueline Ploettner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (794)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
chicago
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Just returned from a 4 night stay at the EPIC. I usually love Kimpton Hotels: attention to detail, high level of guest attention/service, quirky and fun. Unfortunately this spot had a much more generic, big hotel feel. We usually stay in Miami Beach but decided to give the city a try this year largely due to our previous positive experiences at Kimpton Hotels. Unfortunately this hotel caters to big groups: corporate, wedding parties. It is not a good choice for the average leisure/vacation traveler. We stayed in room 2602 which had a nice water view and a balcony. The room is a nice size with a fantastic bathroom (deep tub, ETRO products, two sinks). The balcony was a good size as well, furnished with two chairs and a small table. The chair and table on the balcony both appeared to have some mildew/staining problems that should have been obvious to the housekeeping staff. The website mentions the cocktail hour and the signature mojito cocktail. Instead we were served bad wine (red or white) that was not worth a trip to the lobby. One of the days we returned to our room at 4:30P after being out all day to find the room had not been cleaned/serviced. Lukewarm coffee service in the lobby. $37 overnight parking fee. Chipped/missing tiles around the pools. Room service trays and dropped food in the hallway for far too long. Final complaint: the incredibly loud club music by the pool on Saturday was unreal. There was no way to escape the volume of this unfortunate music choice except to leave the pool. Overall, if you are in Miami for business and are working all day, this is probably an okay enough hotel. If you are traveling for fun or leisure, skip it.

Room Tip: The water view is not worth extra money, and it may be better to face away from the pool if you pref...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank crazyplatter
Miami, Florida

just checked in now.
and this is how they welcomed us.
saw around 10-12 cigratte buds in my balcony, you don't expect this from one of the best hotels in town. On top of that, I got a twin bed which wasn't discussed while i was checking in.

check in formalities were quick and reception staff were great.
hotel over all looks very good.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Manchester
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Our flight from Miami to London was delayed due to a technical problem, the ground crew took about 80 people to this hotel as they promised 74 rooms.We stood in a line at 4am for over 1.5 hours waiting for the very slow checkin staff to book us all in. We were made very unwelcome, no offer of seats or water. After 1.5 hours they said they only had 50 rooms. Why did they make us wait so long ? There were 3 staff behind the desk, one was more interested in talking to any passing female guest than helping us as a group. In the end after lots of shouting the remaining people were taken to the Conrad were we were made most welcome. I would not stay at this pretentious hotel.

Room Tip: Try the Conrad instead
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mr_happyManchester
tegucigalpa
Reviewed March 12, 2013

The Epic has so much working for it. The location is ideal, walking distance to so many exciting places. The service is very professional and very friendly. The different restaurants offer high quality dishes. Tasty options!!! The spa and pool are wonderful options to feel better. Every area is well maintained and very new. In the rooms there is enough space. The beds are comfortable. The bathrooms are designed well and with luxury features. Every aspect of the Epic is in perfect coordination and harmony that a master hotel should consist of. Congratulations to it's employees and the people making the decisions in the hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank davidTegucigalpa
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed March 11, 2013

The only thing that this hotel is missing is the beach. Otherwise, it would be perfect! Great staff, great service, gorgeous spa (exhale spa) and a fantastic experience. We stayed there over a very busy weekend, and the service was just outstanding. I highly recommend this, especially if you would like to stay in downtown.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank SandraJEvans
Chicago, IL
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Definitely not worth the prices they charge. . .you feel like an anonymous person throughout your stay except for the pool attendants. My phone line didn't work the entire stay but despite asking for it to be fixed and an engineer coming once and saying it wasn't the phone but the line, nothing changed. I called for ice and after 30 minutes called again and was told to go get it myself. . .they claimed they called my room and left a message but I was in the room and there's no message. The tv got horrible reception and I was told it was the tv channel not the tv. The spa pretends it's completely separate from the hotel. . .you can't charge to your room. Definitely not returning here

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business