“Good hotel but overrated and pricey”
Review of Kimpton EPIC Hotel

Kimpton EPIC Hotel
Ranked #12 of 122 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersGold level
“Good hotel but overrated and pricey”
Reviewed February 26, 2012

We stayed at the club level where personal attention at the reception was great. However during our whole stay the receptables in the bath room did not work despite twice having called in engineering. One day we tried to get lunch on the terrace of Area 31 adjacent to the swimming pool area. We bypassed the normal entrance and they just let us sit there for 25 min although they passed us several times. It showed a lack of respect for their customers. At least they could have indicated that we needed to follow the proper entry. I would not say this was
indicative for the overall service level because many others were really trying to give the best of themselves. However for the price paid the value was not there.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Evhsf
JacquelinePloettner, Manager at Kimpton EPIC Hotel, responded to this review, February 29, 2012
Evhsf
Thanks for sharing your comments. We are sorry we fell short on providing you attentive service, but we are happy your overall stay was enjoyable and the club level team took good care of you.
We would love to have you back as our guest, to show you we can do much better than your previous experience. Please return soon.
Jacqueline Ploettner, Resort Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (784)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed February 24, 2012

We stayed at Epic for 6 nights and loved every minute of it. From the moment we arrived, staff was very attentive and made sure that all of our needs were met. Quiet rooms, comfortable beds, luxurious bathroom, wi-fi, beautiful view...it all added up to a fantastic experience. The only downside of this hotel is that it is the location. We like to get out and walk around to experience the city and find great shops and restaurants and there is not much around the hotel to enjoy. We ended up taking cabs to South Beach and the Brickell area to find the atmosphere that we like.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
JacquelinePloettner, Manager at Kimpton EPIC Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2012
love2travel040
Thanks for such a fantastic review. We are thrilled to hear about your wonderful experience at EPIC, from our staff service, to our comfy rooms and amenities. We are very centrally located in downtown Miami, just a short drive away from South Beach, Coral Gables and the Design District/Midtown. We are glad you loved every minute of your stay and looking forward to your return.
N ft Myers
Reviewed February 22, 2012

The Epic met every expectation of a luxury hotel. The staff were professional and caring, the view from our room-absolutely spectacular. The room is so very classy, I took notes for my home. The decor is just exquisite. Pool and deck looked incredible-on the river with boats going by. Did not have time for a swim. Room service AM coffee on time and generous portion size.

I cannot wait to return!!!!!!!P.S .FRETTE linens-does it get any better?

Room Tip: water view
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
JacquelinePloettner, Manager at Kimpton EPIC Hotel, responded to this review, February 23, 2012
Ira S
Thanks for a perfect review. We are thrilled you had an amazing time, loved our rooms and bedding with luxurious FRETTE linen and our modern décor.
It is definitely fun watching yachts and large boats passing along Miami River, next to our hotel. We are glad you felt pampered by our staff and our services offered.
We are looking forward to your next stay.
Brentwood, California
Reviewed February 21, 2012

I am a Kimpton Fan. This, by far, is the best one we have stayed at.

The bed was luxurious. Room is kept clean.

The bathroom had a great layout. This time the robes aren't leopard/animal print like all the other kimptons had.

Room service was excellent. We ordered Eggs Benedict and the Continental Breakfast (which included coffee and OJ) that cost us $38.00 which was worth having breakfast on the porch overlooking the pool and the bay. I was considering looking for a brunch place with a great view around the area (thinking that room service almost always is too overpriced), but we ended up enjoying the room service - no driving around and looking for parking. It was very stress-free - which vacations should be.

The valet was always busy though. Try to call ahead in your room beforehand.. it helps to expedite it.

Epic Hotel was perfect.. from Check-in to Check-Out.

Room Tip: Call Valet ahead of time in your room. Ask for a room away from the elevators.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tiglao
JacquelinePloettner, Manager at Kimpton EPIC Hotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2012
tiglao
Thanks for your wonderful comments and for naming us the “best Kimpton hotel you have stayed at”. We are happy to read your comments about our well kept and luxurious guest rooms and how much you enjoyed your ‘In Room Dining brunch’ on your private balcony - definitely a great way to start an amazing vacation.
We can’t wait to spoil you again and looking forward to your next stay at EPIC.
Reviewed February 20, 2012

The hotel is nice, clean, and modern. It is close to beaches, but must take a $20 taxi to South Beach.

• Stayed February 2012
WhiteRabbit73
Thanks for sharing your comments from your stay at EPIC. We are happy we were able to exceed your expectations again and appreciate your loyalty to EPIC.
Our hotel is conveniently located, just a short drive away from the famous South Beach nightlife, the beautiful sandy beaches along the Atlantic Ocean and exciting bars and restaurants in our immediate neighborhood.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back next time you visit Miami.
Miami
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I'll begin by saying that this was my first stay at the Epic. I have stayed at other first class hotels in Miami: Ritz Carltons at Key Biscayne, South Beach and Coconut Grove, and one stay at the Four Seasons. Some aspects of this hotel exceeded those of the above named hotels, and others fell short.

1.The employees. The good parts: I really enjoyed the attitude of the employees. They were friendly, helpful and engaging without being smothering or overly formal. It's a fine line between feeling comfortable in your conversations with employees and feeling like they are treating you just a bit too formally. I thought the Epic employees had it just right. In particular Christian, a bellhop who assisted me when I arrived, seemed to effortlessly understand how to be personable and helpful. He anticipated my needs perfectly, helped me choose the perfect room, and gave me several tips about he hotel as we first visited the Club lounge and then went to my room. He wasn't too formal or deferential, just a nice guy who was enthusiastic and thoroughly pleasant.
The other employes were also excellent, but this one employee really stood out. I personally prefer this style of employee to that of the RitzCarlton. There we're no negatives regarding the employees.

2. The rooms. The positives; I stayed in a water view Club level room on the 30th floor (top floor). The view was spectacular and the balcony was huge. Very nice. The room's decor is modern, tan and white, very current in style. Furniture was nice. In particular, the lighting fixtures were exceptional, much more interesting than why you generally find in a hotel. The bathroom is large, with a very deep soaking tub. I think the Epic's rooms are as nice as any I've stayed in.

The negatives: When I wanted take a soak in the nice deep tub, the water temperature was simply not hot enough to really enjoy it. This was in the morning and when I checked the water temperature later in the day, it was was plenty hot. Too many people using the hot water at once? Also, the TV is not up to par. The reception is not equal on all the channels. Fox was basically not watchable. I called the maintenance man, who arrived within 2 minutes. He worked on the TV for over an hour but he was unable to fix it. I was offered another room but I declined as it was too much hassle. Later in my stay I mentioned this to an employee who told me that "It's always like that. We tried to watch the Heat one day and the reception was awful." I expect better from a hotel of this caliber.

3. The food: I only ate in the restaurant, Area 31, once for lunch. I had the fish tacos and they were acceptable but not great. The prices were actually less than what I expected. I ordered room service once and the food was very good in general. It could be improved by including a glass of ice water instead of a bottle of room temperature water. The roll included was very average and there was not enough butter for the roll. The steak was very good, cooked exactly as ordered.

4. The Club lounge. The positives: The employees were great, very accommodating, offering to refill my drinks. Breakfast was very good; Salmon, bagels/toast, fresh fruit and whole fruit, granola and other cereal, a few pastries, juice, coffee/tea. Lunch offerings were also tasty: two kinds of sandwiches and two cold salads. Evening snacks: little crab cakes, egg rolls, cheeses. The negatives: The lunch offerings were exactly the same both days I was there. They were good, but some variety would help. The evening snacks were not as good: hot foods were not hot and the quiches were just plain lousy. There were no crackers for the cheese, only pita bread that came with some humus.

Overall, would I stay at the Epic again? Absolutely! The ambiance is friendly, classy and cool. The rooms are very nice and the water view is great. I'll be back.

Room Tip: The water view rooms are worth the extra $$$!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank mscg2000
mscg2000
Thanks so much for your very detailed review. We are thrilled to hear your compliments about our employees, which are definitely making our guest feel like family, from their very first stay on. We are sorry we did not meet your expectations in some areas, but we are excited to read that you would definitely return. Our rooms on the 30th floor are amazing and the views are extraordinary. We can’t wait to welcome you back to our club floor and looking forward to your next visit.
Kind regards,
Chicago
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Sharply appointed. Clean. Wine served in PM, coffee in AM. But getting a non feather blanket up to my room took 3 calls and 1.5 hours.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank funChicago
funChicago
Thank you for sharing your comments from your stay. We are so sorry we did not deliver your requested blanket timely. However, we are glad your overall stay was enjoyable and you appreciated our complimentary coffee and tea service each morning and enjoyed our hosted wine hour in the evenings.
We would love having you back as our guest and hope, you will visit us again.
Kind regards,