“Talk to animals” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 320 things to do in Miami
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Zoo Miami (also known as The Miami-Dade Zoological Park and Gardens) is the largest and oldest zoological garden in Florida, and the only sub-tropical zoo in the continental United States. The unique climate in South Florida allows us to keep a wide variety of animals from Asia, Australia and Africa, representing a broad mix of species that is unlike any other zoo in the country. Zoo Miami today occupies almost 750 acres, and is home to more than 3,000 animals representing over 500 different species. Of this population, more than 40 species are classified as endangered. The zoo also houses more than 1,000 species of trees, palms and other plants, and over 100 special exhibits showcasing a broad number of species and scientific topics. We are accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA) which means we have passed a rigorous application and inspection process and meet or exceed the AZA's standards for animal health and welfare, fundraising, zoo staffing, and involvement in global conservation efforts. Zoo Miami is proud to be an active leader in many global wildlife and environmental conservation initiatives, and we are currently involved in over 36 projects taking place on six continents.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Miami Dade
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Talk to animals”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

Our Miami Zoo has been refurbished and its lovely. Its a large Zoo with an abundance of animals/tress and it has a mono rail and bikes for rent. Come and enjoy a day at the zoo

Visited December 2013

• Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Canton, Connecticut
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Great Day with relaxed animals”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

We went during the week when it wasn't crowded. The animals seemed content and relaxed. Much more interaction than you get when a crowd is around. The animals also had a good deal of open space, similar to what you see at the Bronx Zoo, San Diego or Cincinnati Zoo. I highly recommend renting one of the pedal cars. These human powered 'cars' can accommodate 2, 4 or 6 people. It's a great way to get around the park on YOUR schedule. A plus is the tarp on the roof which keeps the sun off of you. We had a ball feeding the giraffes.

1 Thank FSheckie
Miami, Florida
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Be prepared to walk”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

Miami has a great zoo. Just don't go there in the summer time!!! We have lived her for years and I am a member there. I go frequently to practice photography. I mostly rent a cycle so that I can load up my gear, but the distances are huge and you will really need the bike to see the far distant exhibits. Food there is not worth the money. Bring your own snack. The exhibits are best seen early in the cooler mornings before the animals hide from the broiling sun.

Middletown, Connecticut
94 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 138 helpful votes
“Top notch zoo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

I can almost say I planned to vacation in Miami so I could come here and was quite impressed! I love taking our family to zoos all over and this one was very well managed. First off the price is 14.95 per adult, quite reasonable considering how much these animals can eat! Animals all looked healthy, enclosures were spacious, and low fences made viewing even for little ones easy. It almost felt like a stroll in a park except there are lions or giraffes on the other side of the hedges (The zoo did a great job hiding moats and barriers). Zoo is quite large, we never felt crowded or rushed when viewing the animals but it could have been cause our visit was a weekday in winter, much more comfortable if you ask me. We actually came back for a second visit with their 5 for 5 deal ($5/pp if you return within 5 days). Mostly we returned so we could ride a bicycle cart this time; looked great but maybe I got a bum bike cause I was sweating hard trucking our two kids and wife (who's steering wheel and pedals probably didn't work!) had a good laugh at my expense! Still a fun day, visiting Zoo Miami was the highlight of our vacation.

1 Thank imsupafly
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Amazing days out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

So much to see and do, we had to return on a second day to see the rest!
Our 3 year old son loved the place, there was so many interactive things to get involved with. Especially the water play park (bring swim wear and water shoes) and the dino pit - dig for dinosaur fossils!
The animal exhibits were greatly laid out so that you can see the animals clearly in their enclosures.
We had so much fun. This zoo is a great day out for adults and kids, all animal lovers and probably the best zoo I've been to in the world.

Visited February 2014

Been to Zoo Miami? Share your experiences!