“Lots of animals that I have never seen before!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 318 things to do in Miami
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Zoo Miami (also known as The Miami-Dade Zoological Park and Gardens) is the largest and oldest zoological garden in Florida, and the only sub-tropical zoo in the continental United States. The unique climate in South Florida allows us to keep a wide variety of animals from Asia, Australia and Africa, representing a broad mix of species that is unlike any other zoo in the country. Zoo Miami today occupies almost 750 acres, and is home to more than 3,000 animals representing over 500 different species. Of this population, more than 40 species are classified as endangered. The zoo also houses more than 1,000 species of trees, palms and other plants, and over 100 special exhibits showcasing a broad number of species and scientific topics. We are accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA) which means we have passed a rigorous application and inspection process and meet or exceed the AZA's standards for animal health and welfare, fundraising, zoo staffing, and involvement in global conservation efforts. Zoo Miami is proud to be an active leader in many global wildlife and environmental conservation initiatives, and we are currently involved in over 36 projects taking place on six continents.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Virginia Beach
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Lots of animals that I have never seen before!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

My husband and I are both in our mid 60's and we still enjoy going to the zoo. This zoo is one of the best we have ever seen. It's huge-the trail is about 3 miles long but you can rent cycles if you'd prefer not to walk. We went right after a rain storm so the park had emptied out, the animals were all outside enjoying the cooler weather and we were able to get first hand views of nearly all the animals!

Visited September 2013

• Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Trinidad, West Indies
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Great family fun...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I am a repeat visitor to Zoo Miami and I am sure I shall be back several more times... I love these outdoor fun times with my family and as such this is definitely a location whenever I have a couple hours extra in Miami with my family. I enjoy riding the 4 wheel cycles with my family while we explore the Zoo. That is what makes this Zoo so different from others... Will be back again soon!

Visited August 2013
New York
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“NOT THE BEST”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

well what can i tell about the zoo, is nothing amazing is a normal zoo, and i think the animal is the same in every zoo, nothing special nothing amazing.
for the kids, is ok, but not so much fun, and sometimes bored.

the price was normal for miami, but for a general zoo, like always is miami,.. to hig

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Brian O
Philadelphia, PA
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 80 helpful votes
“So so”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Too much hype, coll ads, but not too much to see, especially with a 8 y/o. Excellent food, but not really "CEVICHE", great service.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank niksk001
nsully38
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“We enjoy visiting this zoo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This is the second time we have visited this zoo and enjoyed it very much. The zoo was not as crowded as the last time we were there. The animals are in nice enclosures, which sometimes can make it hard to find the animals, but I guess that is part of the fun. We went on a 90 degree day and took advantage of the misters located through out the park. My favorite animals are the lowland Gorillas and the Tiger.

Visited August 2013

Been to Zoo Miami? Share your experiences!