“Awesome Zoo!”

Ranked #8 of 350 things to do in Miami
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Zoo Miami (also known as The Miami-Dade Zoological Park and Gardens) is the largest and oldest zoological garden in Florida, and the only sub-tropical zoo in the continental United States. The unique climate in South Florida allows us to keep a wide variety of animals from Asia, Australia and Africa, representing a broad mix of species that is unlike any other zoo in the country. Zoo Miami today occupies almost 750 acres, and is home to more than 3,000 animals representing over 500 different species. Of this population, more than 40 species are classified as endangered. The zoo also houses more than 1,000 species of trees, palms and other plants, and over 100 special exhibits showcasing a broad number of species and scientific topics. We are accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA) which means we have passed a rigorous application and inspection process and meet or exceed the AZA's standards for animal health and welfare, fundraising, zoo staffing, and involvement in global conservation efforts. Zoo Miami is proud to be an active leader in many global wildlife and environmental conservation initiatives, and we are currently involved in over 36 projects taking place on six continents.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Hollywood, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome Zoo!”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Great day at the zoo with my children! Bring change of clothes and have them splash around in Oasis area with playground too. Dress comfortably, especially shoes. Monorail was a great break from heat and walking. Gorillas were my favorite and feeding giraffes! We will go back for camel ride, as it was closed early. The water play by Children's Zoo is NOT working. I wish someone had mentioned that before we got there. The additional $10 summer fun card was worth it as it included unlimited monorail, giraffe feeding, parrot feeding, carousel ride, free drink with meal, a camel ride and 50% off cycle rental. Food was reasonable for park, parking free, drinks are $2.50.

1 Thank Ruth S

• Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Paris, Illinois, United States
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“A lot bigger than expected”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We did not get here until afternoon thinking we would have plenty of time. The zoo closed at five and at that time we had only made it half way through. Plan to get there early and spend all day there. They also have a splash fountain for the kids so bring swimwear or extra clothes. There is a tram that runs through the park as well. This was a lot of fun for the whole family.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Andy P
Boca Raton, Florida
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“Huge Zoo – But the very poor management is endangering the animals safety!”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

ZOO - The zoo is huge with predominantly outdoor habitats. Keep that in mind on a very hot summer day. There are only a few indoor air conditioned habitats. However, it was great that they also have several play areas for kids to get wet and cool off (bring swimsuits, towels and change of clothes for your kids). Another great offering was the option to rent large peddle carts (envision a golf cart that you peddle like a bike). This is fantastic for anyone with small kids, elderly or anyone with mobility difficulty. The habitats were nicely positioned for good views of just about every animal.

CONS - This was our first visit and I think we made the mistake of going during Fourth of July weekend... which offered coupons/discounts on tickets, hence massively increasing attendance? It was very crowded... and unfortunately many of the guest were ignorant, rude, and ill-mannered. While the level of low class guests is not the zoo's fault.. it is the zoos fault for the severe lack of employees and supervision!!!

Staffing / Security - Unfortunately many guests were running amuck and acting more like zoo animals than the real wildlife. Peeing in bushes, littering everywhere, loudly banging on the habitat glass and cages, throwing food to the animal (I saw this MANY MANY TIMES!!!!), dropping dirty diapers on the ground (The garbage cans were overflowing too), running, screaming and pushing other visitors with no consideration or manners and throwing trash inside the habitats (one of the crocodile/alligator habitats has so much trash from guests that I wanted to cry for the poor animals). ****** However, the absolute worst was at a Chimp exhibit... some very ignorant guests lit a string of firecrackers - causing the monkeys to get terrified and started panicking. The ignorant guests were laughing hysterically. One other guest said something to the guests and the rude guest told the person to "Shut up". We were there for another five minutes and at no time did I see any employee, zoo keeper or security come over! I took a picture of the guests hoping to tell an employee/zookeeper so these people could be kicked out of the zoo... but I never saw one the entire day!

DURING MY ENTIRE VISIT I DIDN"T PASS ONE SINGLE ZOO KEEPER, ZOO EMPLOYEE, SECUIRTY GUARD, or VOLUNTEER.. Not one person patrolling the zoo! NOT ONE! What the heck is wrong with zoo management?!?! And it can't possibly be due to "Budgets" - since you charge a fortune for food and beverages, but also - I volunteer at another South Florida zoo - so I know that there are more than enough residents willing to VOLUNTEER for FREE within the zoo to answer questions for guests and ensure that everyone is behaving properly! Does the Miami Zoo not care about the safety of the animals and visitors?!?!

Facilities - Serious lack of bathroom facilities. I stopped drinking anything mid day since both times I used the facilities I waited in line for 20 minutes.

Vendors - There is a serious lack of beverage, snack and food vendors - especially on extremely hot summer days! There should be more small vendor stands along the park walkways.... and better trained staff. We stopped at a Slushie Vendor stand. Maybe it was his first day, but there were only five people in front of us and we waited in line for 15 minutes. And he sold ONLY Slushies - no water, food, snacks, etc. Cash only - no reason for a 15 minute line! All the vendor had to do was pull a handle on the SLushie machine and fill the cup!

Vending Machines - $3 for a bottle of water from a vending machine? Really? And half of the machines didn't work.

Food Court - We went to Oasis Grille about 4pm... this is the most brain dead management ever. You stand in line and take pre-made baskets of food... they have about 5-7 employee handling you pre-made baskets. And then you leave that line and walk to a separate long line to pay and they had only two cashiers... again poorly trained and mindboggling slow. There were about 25 people in front of us to pay.... and we stood in line for almost 30 minutes. I ate all my food while I stood in line and by the time I got to the cashier I paid for an empty tray (Which it was $20 for 2 waters, a hot dog and a cheeseburger). I watched dozens of people get fed up and just walked away with their food and didn't pay for it. I was tempted to do the same thing!

I am writing a letter to State officials at the lack of security and supervisor within the zoo to ensure the safety of the animals. It was disgusting that I witnessed non stop harassment and endangerment of the animals (and visitors!) and such negligent staffing on the zoos part! I hope some type of investigation is done and this zoo is forced to increase staffing and supervision to ensure the safety and well being of their animals!

8 Thank LejonGirl
Lawrenceville, NJ
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Worth a visit, beautiful gardens, people, birds, animals”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We reserved a VIP wildlife tour... started at 10:00am on a Monday morning and enjoyed 2 hours of personal tour guide transportation and education of the zoo. We then followed up with recommended personal activities (amazon, asia, and birds)... all fabulous. The gardens were outstanding! the bromeliads, the orchids, the entire site was well worth a visit. Especially with the $55 Summer Savings Pass (includes Zoo Miami, Ft. Lauderdale's Museum of Discovery and Science, Lion Country Safari, and Miami Seaquarium)... the zoo was a visit much cherished and affordable. Food selections not bad (although not great). Do not leave food unattended, even just to go back for a napkin... the wild birds descend quickly!
Visit the zoo... go early, plan on walking a good bit (3 miles of trails)... and wear hat and sunscreen.

Miami, Florida
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great place for the whole family to enjoy”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

It has been a long time since I visited this zoo. I would come every summer as a kid and always had a great time.
On my recent visit, I saw all the change and improvements that has taken place within the years. I'm glad it is still here for us to enjoy. Best of all, the price of admission is way cheaper than The Miami Seaquarium and Jungle Island which I enjoy as well.
The zoo is kept clean and well maintained. The restaurants and cafes inside are OK but a bit pricey. I had no problem bringing in my own water bottle which you will need to keep hydrated during the hot sunny days. Water fountains are set up throughout the park and some are even cold. The kids loved the water park section so don't forget their bathing suits. Unfortunately, the monorail was shut down for the day so I wasn't able to ride from station to station. Keep in mind, there is a train fee.
The exhibitions are great for everyone to enjoy. I really like the way everything is set up. You will get a chance to see and learn pretty much everything during a 6 hour day. The feeding schedules are throughout the day so try not to miss them all. I just wished that all animals were out at all times but that would be asking for too much.
Parking is plenty and free of charge. Some days out of the year, admission is $5.00 for everyone.
Have fun!!!

Visited July 2013

Been to Zoo Miami? Share your experiences!